Customer Service 866.965.0400

LPS failure

Ls1transam

Question

So I've had LPS on my car for close to 2 months. I keep it very clean. I've given it 5-6 Waterless washes since then and 1-2 2 bucket washes. Before applying the LPS I did a strip wash, clay and then another strip wash to remove any residue. Then I applied the LPS. I let it sit on the car for 20-30 minutes before removing. I also applied it to the wheels and it sat for the same amount of time. One day this week I gave my car a 2 bucket wash and noticed the water is flat on the car. Practically no beading and just seems to stick on the paint. But when water hits the wheels it comes flying off and beads up. I am very puzzled that the water beads off my wheels but not the paint.

It was very slick to the touch. It's almost as if the Waterless Wash removed the Sealant. I know it didn't lol but it's weird. After I washed it this week I touched the paint, it still had a slick feel to it. I haven't used the Waterless Wash on my wheels. The water still beads off like crazy.

I have noticed this a lot on this site, but I think you mean LSP...LAST STEP PRODUCT. Minor detail. I had a Lexus IS like that....didn't matter what I used as a LSP, and that car got the exact same TLC (yes, tender loving care) as my truck, but it never beaded water like my truck nor as you'd expect. Not only is every product different, but so is every paint and the interaction between the two.

I have noticed this a lot on this site, but I think you mean LSP...LAST STEP PRODUCT. Minor detail. I had a Lexus IS like that....didn't matter what I used as a LSP, and that car got the exact same TLC (yes, tender loving care) as my truck, but it never beaded water like my truck nor as you'd expect. Not only is every product different, but so is every paint and the interaction between the two.

No, I meant LPS as in Liquid Paint Sealant.

Did you notice it while you were rinsing the soap off the car? Mine does it after I rinse the soap off but after I dry it and hit it with the water again, it's back to what you expect (for me). I do use Adam's car shampoo.

I use Adam's soap as well. After I dried it I hit it with water and the same thing happend, water was flat on the paint.

Ive had LPS on both my cars since July, they sit in the sun all day and night here in sunny southern California. And the water is still beading up. I wash them once a week, sometimes every other week depending on weather and time allowed. I have started to use the Wash and Wax every other car wash, so maybe that is extending the life of the LPS. 

Something else I don't understand. I used Adam's Sealant on my daily too. About the same time as my WS6. Now the Sealant on my WS6 seems to be gone. But on the daily it's still very present, and water beads like it should. I'm wondering if I didn't give the Sealant enough time to dwell on the paint before I removed it. That's the only thing I can think of. So maybe it was my failure and probably not the LPS.

Something else I don't understand. I used Adam's Sealant on my daily too. About the same time as my WS6. Now the Sealant on my WS6 seems to be gone. But on the daily it's still very present, and water beads like it should. I'm wondering if I didn't give the Sealant enough time to dwell on the paint before I removed it. That's the only thing I can think of. So maybe it was my failure and probably not the LPS.

Did you allow the wheels the same amount of time to sit before you buffed it off? 

When I apply LPS (I have the older style bottle still), as soon as I get to the next panel, my fiancee starts to buff it off for me. Goes on easy, comes off easy, and always beads up afterward. But I always cover with HGG or wax during the next wash so I never get to see the long term affects of LPS.

Did you allow the wheels the same amount of time to sit before you buffed it off?

When I apply LPS (I have the older style bottle still), as soon as I get to the next panel, my fiancee starts to buff it off for me. Goes on easy, comes off easy, and always beads up afterward. But I always cover with HGG or wax during the next wash so I never get to see the long term affects of LPS.

Yeah it sat for about the same time on the wheels. Idk I'll chalk this up to an isolated incident.

No, it's not. My drying agent is my "last step product."

OK dude. I don't think a spray QD or something to aid drying is typically considered a LSP, but whatever works. Was just trying to be funny. Last step product typically refers to the last coating of wax/polish/sealant/coating applied to protect and shine the surface and not typically referred to as the literal "last step" taken in daily washing the surface; or such has been the case on every other detailing forum I've ever been on.

I would say, just because the water isn't beading, it doesn't necessarily mean the sealant isn't there. What has changed is the surface tension. Water beading (and sheeting) is all about surface tension. Typically, the last thing you apply is what dictates the surface tension. You could apply a ceramic coating and then top it with something that changes the surface tension and changes the hydrophobic qualities. Honestly, even if you apply LPS and then remove it immediately, there's still going to be some level of bonding and curing. This is a little baffling though. Are you using any non-Adams products after application at all?

I would say, just because the water isn't beading, it doesn't necessarily mean the sealant isn't there. What has changed is the surface tension. Water beading (and sheeting) is all about surface tension. Typically, the last thing you apply is what dictates the surface tension. You could apply a ceramic coating and then top it with something that changes the surface tension and changes the hydrophobic qualities. Honestly, even if you apply LPS and then remove it immediately, there's still going to be some level of bonding and curing. This is a little baffling though. Are you using any non-Adams products after application at all?

I have just now started using a non Adam's product for drying. But I hadn't used it on the car prior to the Paint Sealant issue.

I don't know if this is considered LPS failure, but on my daily I've noticed that my beading is not as "pretty" as most of the pics on here. I applied lps about 2 months ago. It's been topped with h2o 3 times since then, twice with buttery. I am not sure if this is because I have been doing a rinseless practically every morning. That's the issue I've had with my LPS though.

I don't know if this is considered LPS failure, but on my daily I've noticed that my beading is not as "pretty" as most of the pics on here. I applied lps about 2 months ago. It's been topped with h2o 3 times since then, twice with buttery. I am not sure if this is because I have been doing a rinseless practically every morning. That's the issue I've had with my LPS though.

Using Adam's Rinseless I assume? If you're using it every morning, the wax product in Rinseless will build up over time and kind of mute the beading of paint sealant/Guard and gloss. 

Using Adam's Rinseless I assume? If you're using it every morning, the wax product in Rinseless will build up over time and kind of mute the beading of paint sealant/Guard and gloss.

Yes sir, the delicious smelling blue stuff lol. I didn't even consider that, I figured since it was so diluted it wouldn't have that effect.

In my opinion, when that much strip wash a single application of LPS as a LSP isn't enough to "fill" any mirco scratches (unseen by the naked eye). On the vehicles I maintain two coats of LPS (machine applied) is necessary then a LSP (for me personally) is typically Patriot wax for that warm carnauba glow.Then maintenance wash is with H2O Guard and Gloss. I also apply LPS to about half of the vehicle then remove and repeat, I wait about 30 minutes temp depending then reapply.

So I've had LPS on my car for close to 2 months. I keep it very clean. I've given it 5-6 Waterless washes since then and 1-2 2 bucket washes. Before applying the LPS I did a strip wash, clay and then another strip wash to remove any residue. Then I applied the LPS. I let it sit on the car for 20-30 minutes before removing. I also applied it to the wheels and it sat for the same amount of time. One day this week I gave my car a 2 bucket wash and noticed the water is flat on the car. Practically no beading and just seems to stick on the paint. But when water hits the wheels it comes flying off and beads up. I am very puzzled that the water beads off my wheels but not the paint.

The only thing I can think at the moment is that maybe there were trace amounts of Strip Wash residue left on the vehicle when applying Paint Sealant that could have weakened the bonding to the clear coat. When I use Strip Wash, I'm going to polish the vehicle as well, whether by hand or by machine, before applying Paint Sealant, to have the cleanest and best looking surface as possible, but the polishing step isn't absolutely necessary.

Questions to help in troubleshooting:

• What temperature was it outside/in your garage when it was applied?
  • Does the vehicle stay outdoors or is it garaged? Is it exposed to any acid rain?
  • Did it have any beading during a subsequent rainstorm or hosing it off after the last time you dried it?
  • Did you apply Wash & Wax or Ceramic Boost on top of the Paint Sealant? They have different water repelling properties than Paint Sealant.

I just went out and put some water on my work truck that lives outside and is overdue for some recoating but a few months back I had done a semi strip wash and clay, no polish but did put some Paint Sealant on and then topped with H2O as I kinda knew my time would be limited in the fall to polish. I did get to use wash and wax on it in late october (awesome stuff) and as of today (about 8k miles later) the water still beads up, doesnt quite roll off as well as before but still beads nicely and def blows off under movement. 

I would think there was an application issue somewhere along the way. 

<p>

The only thing I can think at the moment is that maybe there were trace amounts of Strip Wash residue left on the vehicle when applying Paint Sealant that could have weakened the bonding to the clear coat. When I use Strip Wash, I'm going to polish the vehicle as well, whether by hand or by machine, before applying Paint Sealant, to have the cleanest and best looking surface as possible, but the polishing step isn't absolutely necessary.

Questions to help in troubleshooting:

• What temperature was it outside/in your garage when it was applied?
  • Does the vehicle stay outdoors or is it garaged? Is it exposed to any acid rain?
  • Did it have any beading during a subsequent rainstorm or hosing it off after the last time you dried it?
  • Did you apply Wash & Wax or Ceramic Boost on top of the Paint Sealant? They have different water repelling properties than Paint Sealant.

I am betting on strip wash residue