Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint Sealant Question

itsky

Question

15 answers to this question

Paint sealant is the base level of paint protection. You would want to top it with a wax to add protection on top of the sealant. This will extend the life of the paint sealant.

There are other options for protection on top of sealant as well. Just depends on what is available.

Edited by SumBeach35

Paint sealant is the base level of paint protection. You would want to top it with a wax to add protection on top of the sealant. This will extend the life of the paint sealant.

There are other options for protection on top of sealant as well. Just depends on what is available.

Thanks!

Sorry, one last question. I use the brilliant glaze as well. Should the glaze go on after the sealant?

1. Wash

2. Clay bar

3. Polish

4. Sealant

5. Glaze

6. Wax

Solid plan. You can also decontaminate the paint with wheel cleaner if you want to do an extra step before coating. It'll help to remove iron deposits and make claying a little easier.

A lot of people also use a wax on top of a sealant for appearance reasons. Carnuba adds that warm depth that you usually don't get with a sealant. Sealants tend to have that synthetic appearance. All personal preference. I don't ever use a glaze because my paint is flawless when ready for LSP. Glazes have filling qualities that I don't need. Like everything else, they have their place as well, just not in my arsenal. Again; personal preference.

Edited by galaxy

Sorry, one last question. I use the brilliant glaze as well. Should the glaze go on after the sealant?

1. Wash

2. Clay bar

3. Polish

4. Sealant

5. Glaze

6. Wax

Paint sealant is 6 months of protection and applying it is like a wax. You don't have to wax if you use LPS, it has better protection than wax.

If you want to skip wax you can apply the glaze then the paint sealant.

Edited by Nathan

Paint sealant is 6 months of protection and it is like a wax. You don't have to wax if you use LPS, it has better protection than wax.

If you want to skip wax you can apply the glaze then the paint sealant.

I'm a little confused, Nathan. If you mean wax and sealant are similar because both offer protection and shine, I guess I buy that. Otherwise, I think that's where the similarities end. For example, waxes are natural based products, while sealants are synthetic. They basically offset each other between durability and shine, too. I guess I don't understand your comment. Willing to learn, though!

And as for layering, I operate by the most durable product first method. So if you do go glaze then sealant, be forewarned the PS durability could be adversely affected since it's meant to bond to the paint for the longest lasting protection. But the end result of that order could be the look you're going for, in which case others on here would support this approach.

One thing I would recommend is HGG to maintain your PS. Awesome product.

I'm a little confused, Nathan. If you mean wax and sealant are similar because both offer protection and shine, I guess I buy that. Otherwise, I think that's where the similarities end. For example, waxes are natural based products, while sealants are synthetic. They basically offset each other between durability and shine, too. I guess I don't understand your comment. Willing to learn, though!

And as for layering, I operate by the most durable product first method. So if you do go glaze then sealant, be forewarned the PS durability could be adversely affected since it's meant to bond to the paint for the longest lasting protection. But the end result of that order could be the look you're going for, in which case others on here would support this approach.

One thing I would recommend is HGG to maintain your PS. Awesome product.

I meant like application wise. Will edit! :thumbsup:

Sorry if this is a silly question, but is the LPS a replacement for wax or do you do it in addition to waxing?

Most use either PS or a wax like Americana.......sealants are more durable than waxes however on darker colors carnauba waxes will gives you a deeper wetter look. That being said you could apply PS first then apply a coat of wax, on darker colored cars like red or black that combo would give you the best protection and the best deep wet look.

Hope this helps!