Customer Service 866.965.0400

Leather interior absorbed bad odor

GaresTaylan

Question

Hey everyone. We took delivery of a new car a few weeks back. One of the things we worked out with the dealership was for them to add some vinyl factory stripes. They agreed and this past Monday they came and picked up the car, gave us a loaner, etc. Today, I received the car back and started to notice an unfortunate odor on the interior. It was almost like a combination of black ice air fresheners and axe body spray - not good. I cleaned everything thoroughly with leather and interior cleaner and left the car open to air out.

Long story short, it looks like its coming from the leather wrapped steering wheel and the leather wrapped shift knob, My best guess is, based on what I smelled when the sales guy dropped it back off, is that he bathes in some form of cologne, it was all over his hands and now the leather has soaked it up. I was luckily able to get it out of the alcantara on the seats.

I have tried to use the leather and interior cleaner on it almost a half dozen times, but it doesn't appear to be working very well. Any ideas on what I can use? I have a nice arsenal of Adams products at my disposal but I dont know what else, if anything, would really be safe for the leather.

16 answers to this question

Sorry to hear that. How often was he in your car? Wow.

You might try LC and/or Odor Neutralizer. Good luck.

As far as I know only on the drive back to the dealership and then from the dealership. That's about an hour per trip.

I applied a nice coat of LC and it seemed to fade for a bit, but after it had started to dry some more it was back. This is going to sound pretty nasty as well but for giggles I checked out the set of keys we gave him - yep, same odor on the keys. Was able to douse that in some APC and get it to go away.

It's not a funky smell, like poor hygiene or anything. Just as I mentioned before - like someone rubbed themselves down in a daily regimen of cologne they think actually smells decent and didn't wash it off their hands. Really starting to tick me off.

I've never owned the odor neutralizer. Sounds like it may be a good time to invest. I was hoping the LC would really soak in and call it a day.

I ordered some of the neutralizer. I guess I was hoping something I had readily available would make due since it typically takes several days for Adam's shipments to arrive here. 

Thanks for the feedback all. 

When it comes, don't go crazy and spray it all over the interior or you won't be able to breathe.  Spray a little on the carpet or under the seats, but just a little bit.  Or like Nathan said, spray it on a towel and wipe it over the seats and leather areas. It won't hurt it, just don't spray it directly onto the leathers.  It has its own "scent" but it's pleasant and then it fades away and takes the bad smells with it. 

When it comes, don't go crazy and spray it all over the interior or you won't be able to breathe. Spray a little on the carpet or under the seats, but just a little bit. Or like Nathan said, spray it on a towel and wipe it over the seats and leather areas. It won't hurt it, just don't spray it directly onto the leathers. It has its own "scent" but it's pleasant and then it fades away and takes the bad smells with it.

Really it's only one spot on the steering wheel and on the shift knob. Nothing else really has the odor attached it it. What's kind of equally disgusting is if I go drive the car for a bit, the smell transfers from the wheel and knob to my skin until I wash my hands. Would love to know what in the world this guy did.

As with any of the new products I'll begin with less is more. Thanks.

Edited by GaresTaylan

I ordered some of the neutralizer. I guess I was hoping something I had readily available would make due since it typically takes several days for Adam's shipments to arrive here. 

Thanks for the feedback all. 

Assuming it has arrived, how'd it go?