Customer Service 866.965.0400

Newb Mistake

rotary57

Question

So I recently purchased a SK Kit with the heavy correcting compound, correcting polish and finishing polish. I didn't do too much research on polishing and I completely skipped the whole clay bar process. Luckily I didn't damage the clear coat and the results still came out better than expected considering it being my first time, but my concern is mostly on my cutting pad and my white pad for the SK. I washed my car before I polished it but I still noticed a lot of dust/dirt gathering on my cutting pad so I decided to wipe down the area that I was working on with some detail spray and a MF Cloth and noticed a lot of dirt on my MF. Is that mostly dirt or from cutting into the clear coat? Should I replace the MF Cloths and the pads I used? Thanks in advance. I have a black 1992 Mazda RX-7 FD3S. 

post-15705-0-97716300-1490104665_thumb.jpg

post-15705-0-53196600-1490104681_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

I followed the steps on cleaning the pad and I'm waiting for it to air dry at the moment. Would it be best just to get a new one?

Probably needed clayed first. Your pad probably removed a lot of contaminants.

The pad should OK.  When using MF polishing pads they need to be 'cleaned' after each section.  Clean with a pad conditioning brush or air hose.  This will clear the polishing residue & the clearcoat you have been removing, and fluff the fibers back up.  

The claying will remove more imbedded contaminants in paint that polishing will not.  If you have not polished the entire car yet, I would recommend claying, then polishing.  It will not hurt to clay the sections you have polished.  Make sure to do the baggie test to make sure you need to clay, and to know when you are done claying.

Baggie test:  Clean the car, then run your hand over the paint.  Place your hand inside a plastic bag or sandwich baggie and feel the paint again.  If it feels bumpy, it needs to be clayed.  If it feels smooth, you are done! 

I think like LS1transam said, contaminants were pulled out by the pad, but I also wonder if perhaps the pad that you used may have been torn by some of the contaminants in the paint. I've heard if you don't clay or if you use pads near sharp emblems they wear a lot quicker so I wonder if this was something like that, but honestly you did a great job on the paint

Im not an expert, but my guess would be there could be a lot of iron deposits in the clear coat because its old, so claying would help. Another guess would be if this is the original clear-coat from 92, if not taken car of the full life span, the more aggressive cutting pad, and polishes/compounds could be breaking down the clear coat and releasing a lot of trapped contaminants? 

The dirt you that's on the cloth and paint is polish residue, it won't hurt anything, also when you are polishing a car you may want to clean the pad often to prevent dirt and product residue building up on the pad. Adams sells a great brush for cleaning your pad, it's a simple process to do just make sure to turn that swirl killer to the lowest setting and also always use eye protection. After each use wash your pads by hand and let air dry over night.