Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning/Detailing while living in Apartments?

jvibe92

Question

Hey Everyone, I have started my collection the past year and unfortunately will be moving for one year to do a RN program. At my apartments I will have garage parking for my 2013 5.0 but will not be able to wash it like I do at my house.

What are some tips for keeping the car in great shape? Being San Antonio, I was told there was hard water there. Lastly, what's the best process? Just wash, clay once a month, seal once a month, and wax between 2-3 washes or use h20guard?

22 answers to this question

Welcome to San Antonio. I live here and also live in an apartment. Luckily for me I can drive over to my in laws who have covered parking to wash my vehicle.

Best advise to give you is use the local car washes for the pressure washer only. Fill your buckets and hand wash. Some places don't like for you to do it but if you go early enough or later in the day shouldn't be a problem.

Rinseless Wash and Waterless Towels sure looks like a good approach. You can use it the Rinseless Wash as risnseless or waterless. Do the dilutions with distilled water. 

BTW, there is no need for gallons of water doing rinseless. I do it all the time with way less than 1 gallon of distilled water. 

(Edited to more clearly state distilled water should be used when mixing the chemicals.)

Edited by LT1xL82

Okay didn't realize it'd be overkill. So I should stick with washing and using detail spray as my drying agent and use h20 guard every 3-5 washes or so. I'll look into the waterless and rinseless options.

I guess a question now becomes what's the true difference between waterless and rinseless. They seem exactly the same to me? Both don't use a rinse method. Just spray and wipe down. I'm effy on that, unless the car is not showing much sort of course.

In the winter when I can't use water in Minnesota (that's at least 4 months here) I rinseless wash or waterless wash because Indont have water access. They are both cheaper as well. For wheel cleaning I use a garden sprayer (like 2 or 3 gallons) with just water.

I guess a question now becomes what's the true difference between waterless and rinseless. They seem exactly the same to me? Both don't use a rinse method. Just spray and wipe down. I'm effy on that, unless the car is not showing much sort of course.

The video section should be your next stop. Lots of answers there.

The differences can be a little difficult to understand at first...I went through the same thing...so let me try to help boil it down:

Waterless (http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/carwashing/adam-s-waterless-car-wash.html) is a spray solution that's best used for for light surface dust or dirt, fingerprints, etc. It works really well with the complimentary WW towels. By the way, it smells great!

Rinseless (http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/carwashing/adam-s-rinseless-car-wash.html) is often used in conjunction with a bucket and several gallons of water, and can be used on dirtier vehicles (heavy dirt, mud, etc., should still be sprayed off beforehand, at a coin op, for example). It works really well with the SST and DST. Note, you can also create a more economical waterless wash type solution by diluting a couple ounces in 32oz of water.

Be sure to watch the videos on the Adam's website for each product as linked above, and check out this thread, too:

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/29727-waterless-vs-rinsless-wash/

Of course, ask any more questions here and we'll all chime in.

Edited by falcaineer

I beg your pardon Joel, distilled water is nescessary especially if it's hot out!

Rinseless Wash and Waterless Towels sure looks like a good approach. You can use it the Rinseless Wash as risnseless or waterless. Do the dilutions with distilled water. 

BTW, there is no need for gallons of distilled water doing rinseless. I do it all the time with way less than I gallon.

Chris don't forget to mention you can make your own waterless wash with Rinseless solution and distilled water...

The differences can be a little difficult to understand at first...I went through the same thing...so let me try to help boil it down:

Waterless (http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/carwashing/adam-s-waterless-car-wash.html) is a spray solution that's best used for for light surface dust or dirt, fingerprints, etc. It works really well with the complimentary WW towels. By the way, it smells great!

Rinseless (http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/carwashing/adam-s-rinseless-car-wash.html) is often used in conjunction with a bucket and several gallons of water, and can be used on dirtier vehicles (heavy dirt, mud, etc., should still be sprayed off beforehand, at a coin op, for example). It works really well with the SST and DST. Note, you can also create a more economical waterless wash type solution by diluting a couple ounces in 32oz of water.

Be sure to watch the videos on the Adam's website for each product as linked above, and check out this thread, too:http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/29727-waterless-vs-rinsless-wash/

Of course, ask any more questions here and we'll all chime in.

Chris don't forget to mention you can make your own waterless wash with Rinseless solution and distilled water...

Thanks, Joe. I tried to do that at the end of the Rinseless paragraph, but it may be easily overlooked in the "novel" I wrote!

Also, I'm must admit I just had another basic thought that many of you may already have considered, but the difference really is in the product name. WW requires no extra water; just spray and wipe. RW requires extra water, albeit in a bucket (and when not diluted to be used as a waterless spray), but no rinse is needed; just wipe down the car, do some light drying off, and you're done. Hmm. Why did I never think of that before? Adam's really does try to make it simple! :wacko:

I beg your pardon Joel, distilled water is nescessary especially if it's hot out!

I totally agree...

Re-read my poorly worded post....I was trying to say you don't need GALLONS, but it should absolutely be DISTILLED. 

I'm going to edit my post for clarity sake.

Thanks for the heads-up ocdrifter!

Edited by LT1xL82

Okay so I guess I have a good plan. For when it's real dirty, I'll find a 'DIY place' and use their pressure washer to soap it up and bring my buckets to do a full wash then use my electric leaf blower and light amounts detail spray and drying towel to dry.

For in between if it's not dirty and have just small amount of dust or pollen then I will do the rinseless method with distilled water and maybe use my electric leaf blower to ensure it dries. I can do this for both. I guess every 6 months of so when I drive home for a week or two I'll wax and possibly clay if needed.

Just got into really keep the paint nice even though it's my DD (not even 15mi a day for work/school)

Just trying to keep you on your "A" games Chris lol

Thanks, Joe. I tried to do that at the end of the Rinseless paragraph, but it may be easily overlooked in the "novel" I wrote!

Also, I'm must admit I just had another basic thought that many of you may already have considered, but the difference really is in the product name. WW requires no extra water; just spray and wipe. RW requires extra water, albeit in a bucket (and when not diluted to be used as a waterless spray), but no rinse is needed; just wipe down the car, do some light drying off, and you're done. Hmm. Why did I never think of that before? Adam's really does try to make it simple! :wacko:

When you use the coin-op use only their water for pre-rinse and rinse...not their soap or magic mystery multi-colored chemicals du jour. Use your own soap! Some of the soap at car washes is pretty harsh...especially touchless.