Customer Service 866.965.0400

16 Year Old Mishap

blcksilv08

Question

So, a couple months ago I helped my 16 year old brother buy his first car, 2013 Kia Rio hatch, he's currently paying me back. I helped him under the stipulation that he would take care of his car and keep up on all maintenance. He's been all over it so far, washes it once a week using all Adam's products from my stock. A week ago, about 6:30 AM Saturday going to work. Backing out of our driveway he bumped into the fire hydrant accidentally.

He comes inside after work, head down and tells me what happened. I told him it's not a big deal we all make mistakes, especially when starting out driving. Just be careful in the future. Enter today, I had a little bit of free time this afternoon. Figured I should try to remove as much damage as possible. I've done this a couple times in the past with some success. Tools used: heat gun(carefully), Rupes LHR75E, heavy correction, correcting polish, 4 inch microfiber pad, orange correcting polish pad.

Before

post-8415-0-50090500-1506809019_thumb.jpg

post-8415-0-51074500-1506809063_thumb.jpg

After

post-8415-0-42986000-1506809110_thumb.jpg

post-8415-0-70907700-1506809136_thumb.jpg

Definitely made quite a difference, not the greatest pictures but you get the idea. Unfortunately the scratches remaining are through the clear. Being plastic I'm not that worried though.

16 answers to this question

WTG!  I had 3 older brothers, oldest one was 18 years older. So I was driving when I was 11. :D  But they were great. Let me drive any time I wanted, and I always had a car to enjoy.  But that's how I learned to take care of them and a lot more.  You're on the right track teaching him responsibility, and not freaking out over a minor accident.  Sounds like you two are going to be buds for life. :2thumbs:

Wow that’s a heck of a save! I probably would have purchased a new bumper before even considering a project like that. Well done!

Thanks!  The way I see it, the worst thing that could happen is I don't fix it and it needs a bumper replaced anyways. :D 

WTG!  I had 3 older brothers, oldest one was 18 years older. So I was driving when I was 11. :D  But they were great. Let me drive any time I wanted, and I always had a car to enjoy.  But that's how I learned to take care of them and a lot more.  You're on the right track teaching him responsibility, and not freaking out over a minor accident.  Sounds like you two are going to be buds for life. :2thumbs:

Thanks Rich, we get along most of the time :rolleyes: 

You've got talent!! Great save big bro!

Appreciate that, I know anybody on here could handle that fix!

Awesome, looks great, good save from a good brother.

I try most days :D, thanks!

Nicely done, Eric. :2thumbs:

Thanks Chris!

This looks great and works awesome. I’ve done this many times and saved a lot of people money.

It's definitely a money saver!

Good job man!!

Thanks!  

KUDOS!! TBH that's similar to the way I enter the daunting projects. Expect minimal results and when it comes out looking like that^^^ that's awesome.

It's a good feeling for sure, thanks!

Explain the heat gun part, if you don’t mind.

Does it pop out on its own or do you have to get behind and pop it out?

Sure, I slowly and evenly heated the area pushed in and about 3 inches around it. I had taken the inner fender loose and put my hand back there and starting at the outside of the dent slowly pushed it back out. You can push it out quickly but have more of a chance of seeing warping or irregularities. I've heard of people using hair dryers but that would take quite a while. The only caution needed is to not over heat the panel. I didn't polish the area then until it had cooled back down.

Great job and wonderful tips!  My cousin just bought a KIA and the previous owner must have had a dog or a neighborhood dog jump on it.  Someone just covered it up with a scratch repair, so all those marks are visible & raised.  We are going to do some wet sanding over those areas with 4000 grit and see if we can get them to blend a bit better, then of course polish & paint seal.  Did that on my black Cadillac and had great success with it.  Will have to remember to take photos and post the results.