Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brush for Wheel Wells

seibert1814

Question

I have an '05 Corvette and there isn't much room between the tires and the wheel wells. I really don't want to remove the wheels in order to clean the wheel wells. Does anyone know of a decent brush that has a long enough handle but yet is small enough to clean the dirt from the wheel wells of a Corvette?? Thanks for any info......

24 answers to this question

For the wheels themselves look for something made of Boar Hair. The brush I described above is only used for the wheel wells. Adam's used to sell such a brush, and am hoping they can add it back to their inventory of products soon.

I use a Boar's Hair brush on my mother's 2000 Vert to keep her clear coat scratch free then clean it out and use it on my C6 chrome wheels. For plastics (wheel wells) I use a plastic bristle brush.

As far as us carrying brushes again, stay tuned!

I hope you guys do come out with something, as I am now a dedicated Adam's user. But, just in case and for whatever it's worth, Griot's Garage used to have some good boar's hair stuff.

So I guess this takes us back to the orginal question. Does any know where I can pick up a boars hair brush that is small enough and long enough to get between my calipers and wheel? A web site would be great. :) the only ones i can find are all fairly big.

I've been begging Adam's to come up with one for years. Nobody makes a good brush to clean the wheels without taking them off, so my wife made me one. She bought a three foot long dowel from a local craft store. Then went to Wal Mart and got a mitt that looked like a mop head, split it up the side, stapled one side to the dowel and rolled the rest around the stick. Then she hand sewed the sides so nothing sharp would touch the wheels. This thing works like crazy! Never scratches and cleans the wheels even in the smallest areas and I can get to the very deepest part of the wheel with the long handle. :2thumbs:

I just tried putting something together on the fly and it works pretty good for cleaning the inner part of the wheels on my C5. I took a lambs wool duster and wrapped a microfiber towel around it. I spray a copious amount of Detail Spray on the inside of each wheel and then put my concoction between the spokes and wipe everything up. Because the lambs wool compresses easily I can even get the front wheels with minimum hassle. No more skinned knuckles from trying to squeeze my hand between the front rotors and the wheel rim!

I've been begging Adam's to come up with one for years. Nobody makes a good brush to clean the wheels without taking them off, so my wife made me one. She bought a three foot long dowel from a local craft store. Then went to Wal Mart and got a mitt that looked like a mop head, split it up the side, stapled one side to the dowel and rolled the rest around the stick. Then she hand sewed the sides so nothing sharp would touch the wheels. This thing works like crazy! Never scratches and cleans the wheels even in the smallest areas and I can get to the very deepest part of the wheel with the long handle. :2thumbs:

Rich,

How about a picture?

Feel free to improve on the idea. I just got tired of always looking in the detailing sections in automotive departments and never finding anything that is long enough and thin enough to get to the backs of my wheels. I don't have the option of a lift in my garage. I'm strictly a hands on, average guy with a small garage and limited space and no fancy extras who likes to work on his car and have it look good. :2thumbs:

I know this is a cheap way out but, I found a 2 pack of wheel brushes at Harbor Freight for nearly nothing. They are about 2 X 2 square by about 5 or 6" long with a 4 or 5 " handle. It's basicly foam wrapped in microfiber for one of them and the other is wrapped in like a bug sponge. I can clean all around the inside of the rear wheels and have to move the car to get where the front caliper is.

Works for me but, I may not be quite as picky as some people.

:cheers:

I know this is a cheap way out but, I found a 2 pack of wheel brushes at Harbor Freight for nearly nothing. They are about 2 X 2 square by about 5 or 6" long with a 4 or 5 " handle. It's basicly foam wrapped in microfiber for one of them and the other is wrapped in like a bug sponge. I can clean all around the inside of the rear wheels and have to move the car to get where the front caliper is.

3 words that Adam's Polishes avoids for a myriad of reasons: MADE IN CHINA!

To clean the area between the front calipers and the wheel try a small spackle knife and wrap a small piece of micro fiber cloth over the blade. Wet the cloth thoroughly and push the MF cloth between the caliper and wheel (being very careful) using the spackle knife. Does a nice job without having to move the car. Works really well on my C5.

3 words that Adam's Polishes avoids for a myriad of reasons: MADE IN CHINA!

Sorry to piss anyone off, I was just stating what I found that worked. I'm not proud it's from China but it does work. At least I gave you a discription to where you could get something made if you would like. Thought that was what forums were for, to help each other. I'll try to keep my thoughts to myself and just read the forum.

On the China thing, I doubt there's anyone that doesn't have something from there mainly because we can't find it here or it's too damn expensive here.

:rockon: USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:2thumbs:

Hi Dan

No one is upset by your post :) Adam is extremely proud of the fact that all of his products are Made in the USA, as he should be :patriot: And we are all proud to be buying American made products from him, especially in these troubling economic times.

Also being like a family here we hope you continue to post and share your idea's that is exactly what we are all here for :2thumbs:

And just in case I didn't say it before, WELCOME TO AF :hi:

Bill

Nobody is pissed off Dan! Sorry to give that impression, and I appreciate input, and that's why we are here!

We certainly need to identify a solution for scrubbing wheel wells, and input like your shoots us in a great direction.

Thanks for your input, and please continue to participate.

I've got a thing for USA made products, and a thing against China and Chinese made goods. Harbor Freight is similar to Wal-Mart. They sell cheap, often poorly constructed goods that are super-inexpensive, from China or Taiwan.

Those products are imported and sold for a fraction of what the high quality American-made goods cost to produce, let alone sell. American jobs are disappearing at a record pace, and we're simply going to do everything possible to support American-made manufacturing.

If we find an USA manufacturer for microfiber towels, we'll be 100% American made. Until then, we have our towels made in Korea, as only Korea and China currently make the technology. (Korea makes much better quality products, hence our decision to produce towels there.)

Wouldn't it be great to see other American companies sell products made solely in the USA, and take a crack at the trade-deficit with the massively polluting, poor working condition country of China?

God Bless America! Our economy needs all the help we can get!! Please buy USA-Made goods!!

-Adam:patriot:

Edited by Adam

By the way Dan, can you snap a photo of your contraption and post it here? Thanks for your input, and sorry to offend with my Anti-China stance.

It's something I firmly believe in, and at the risk of upsetting customers, I'll sleep better supporting our great country.:patriot:

By the way Dan, can you snap a photo of your contraption and post it here? Thanks for your input, and sorry to offend with my Anti-China stance.

It's something I firmly believe in, and at the risk of upsetting customers, I'll sleep better supporting our great country.:patriot:

Adam,

No hard feelings here. I really agree with you 110% but, sometime you have to do what you have to do. Believe me, I know!!

I cannot get into my Photobucket acct. but will try to email you the pic in a few days.

Thanks!

Dan :patriot:

I have been using a good quality kitchen sponge with a wooden paint stir stick inserted into it. Works good, no scratches and replaceable parts. I have been thinking about doing the same thing with a microfiber applicator pad for wax and/or detail spray, but haven't tried it yet. I just hate to cut into one of those nice pads! :eek: