Customer Service 866.965.0400

RopeADope Into A Car Show.....

JoeySr

Question

Got told last night we are going to be in a car show next weekend.......

Question is, how do you prep for a car show...drive 100 miles, stay in a hotel, drove 60 miles to the venue.....

Is there something ya can smear on the front end and then wipe off to help keep the bugs down?

Will be the 1st real car show we are entered into and have actually attended.....have no idea what to expect or how to prep....

SHe's a daily driver, no garage, kept outside & has 10,670 miles on her & not quite 6 months old........

Help ?

37660225_653627051663477_689297206679489

Edited by JoeySr

18 answers to this question

Best thing is bring some waterless wash with you, and some spare towels. use the trick of soaking the towels and laying them on the front end to soak into the bugs and such which will make removal much easier. Aside from that certainly bring your detail spray, if you want you can hit the car with a quick coat of BG to add that extra pop. Plenty of clean towels are a must for shows, as you will be surprised what you can go thru when trying to get her perfect. 

A good wax or sealant on the front of the car ahead of time will really cut down on how much will actually stick to the car. 

^^^This. @pirahnah3/Jim has you covered. I'll second the WW, BG and towels. Lots of towels. DS is always a good thing to have too. If you have time, pick up a 4 or 8 bottle bag, or maybe a trunk organizer to carry it along and show it off during the show. Something Adam's. And don't forget pics to post here when you get back!!! Good luck, Joey!

Not trying to spend 40 hours on her, that would kill me ? Just wnt to clean her up good, make her shine & pop a little and not get embarrassed by a dull dirty car.......

No wax on her other than what was applied from a couple touchless car sashes where we could not do anything else & she was so filthy I was about to stroke out & that's been 4k miles or more ago.

Otherwise just wash her with Adams shampoo/foam gun and H20 G&G.......and the wheel cleaner as the brass was black from brake dust....

Have Detail Spray, but have never used it, bottle and 1/2 of WW &  just got Brilliant Glaze & a couple applicators for the inside of the windshield......

Might need to make a high speed run to Adams tomorrow ?

Just did a run from Columbia, SC to Gatlinburg, TN and hit two small patches of rain and and a couple miles of wet roads.  I used 4 to make it presentable again and another 5 after that to keep it shining.   I also know that I won’t leave home again without WW along with DS and BG and at least a dozen towels.

9 minutes ago, JoeySr said:

Not trying to spend 40 hours on her, that would kill me ? Just wnt to clean her up good, make her shine & pop a little and not get embarrassed by a dull dirty car.......

No wax on her other than what was applied from a couple touchless car sashes where we could not do anything else & she was so filthy I was about to stroke out & that's been 4k miles or more ago.

Otherwise just wash her with Adams shampoo/foam gun and H20 G&G.......and the wheel cleaner as the brass was black from brake dust....

Have Detail Spray, but have never used it, bottle and 1/2 of WW &  just got Brilliant Glaze & a couple applicators for the inside of the windshield......

Might need to make a high speed run to Adams tomorrow ?

They'll be open at 8 ?. BG on the outside of the entire car, glass included, will really make that car pop!

Perhaps bring a couple old towels for cleaning off the tires and rims...WW can work on them, too.

I have pulled onto a field and can be "show" ready in about 30 min, 60 is obviously better but if she is fairly clean it does not take too much really. Clean and clayed paint releases fresh bugs fairly easily. Of course a good wax coat really helps. 

4 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

They'll be open at 8 ?. BG on the outside of the entire car, glass included, will really make that car pop!

Perhaps bring a couple old towels for cleaning off the tires and rims...WW can work on them, too.

Gives us time to hit Jack Quinns in the Springs for a sammich and beer before going home ?

2 minutes ago, pirahnah3 said:

I have pulled onto a field and can be "show" ready in about 30 min, 60 is obviously better but if she is fairly clean it does not take too much really. Clean and clayed paint releases fresh bugs fairly easily. Of course a good wax coat really helps. 

Could possibly clay her, but I seriously doubt wax, that's a full day event for me & why I'm in love with  H20 G&G

18 hours ago, JoeySr said:

Got told last night we are going to be in a car show next weekend.......

Question is, how do you prep for a car show...drive 100 miles, stay in a hotel, drove 60 miles to the venue.....

Is there something ya can smear on the front end and then wipe off to help keep the bugs down?

Will be the 1st real car show we are entered into and have actually attended.....have no idea what to expect or how to prep....

SHe's a daily driver, no garage, kept outside & has 10,670 miles on her & not quite 6 months old........

Help ?

Clean her up at home sometime before you leave, and hit the front end with a fresh coat of H2O G&G.  After a trip of that distance I would say skip the Waterless wash, and do a Rinseless Wash with the bucket of towels method.  You can take the supplies (take a couple of gallons of distilled water), or prepare the wash solution at home, drop in 4-8 towels, and seal it with a Gamma Seal lid.  Take some extra towels for the wheels, and for drying, and 15-20 minutes you have a clean car.  And only used 1 oz of Rinseless vs. 8-16 oz of Waterless wash, and IMO, since you are using more solution, the chance of marring the paint is less. 

I have used this method several times, even in an airplane hangar for a DuPont Registry event. 

Depends really on what kind of bugs you think you will see but spraying PAM (yes the cooking non stick oil) on the front drastically reduces bugs ability to stick. That is mostly a love bug situation thing but works for any bug. Just depends on what and the amount. Just normal highway bugs I would stick with only WW.

2 hours ago, SlammedRT said:

Depends really on what kind of bugs you think you will see but spraying PAM (yes the cooking non stick oil) on the front drastically reduces bugs ability to stick. That is mostly a love bug situation thing but works for any bug. Just depends on what and the amount. Just normal highway bugs I would stick with only WW.

Sounds like a cheap alternative to Buttery Wax ?

3 hours ago, SlammedRT said:

I've known a few guys to so the PAM thing, it alwys is a gooey mess that turns into a pain to get off, don't know why, no idea what products they are using, but when they spray pam on, it gums up and gooes mess.....

20 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Sounds like a cheap alternative to Buttery Wax ?

Was thinking about putting a thick coat of Buttery on the front clip, then in the morning at the airfield, going to town, cleaning it & then putting a coat of Brilliant Glaze on her....

Edited by JoeySr

51 minutes ago, JoeySr said:

Was thinking about putting a thick coat of Buttery on the front clip, then in the morning at the airfield, going to town, cleaning it & then putting a coat of Brilliant Glaze on her....

Oh I wasn't condoning the Pam treatment. As for BW, use a thin coat, not thick. Layering it too much can actually reduce the visual effects making it hazy. BG will look awesome!

Well, hit Adams, walked out with 2 bags full & kept going south to the Springs, had a wonderful corned beef Sammie and a couple of Stella beers @ one of my favorite places and made it home all in once piece....,Course it was raining so hard we hydroplaned several times and as usual the traffic stinks.....rain went from beading up on the car to meh, glass want from great to crappy vision and the inside was fogging up also it was raining so hard so long..........

More for my own reference than anything....so I don't forget....

In between storms the next few days.....clay bar windshield and seal it....clean inside windshield and then put BG on it....same for moon roof....

Wash wheels, tires and body.....then clay bar, then paint sealant.....Guess I should put some APC in the soap to strip off anything left on the car.....

Paint Sealant..........

Buttery Wax........

Wash morning of show with Rinseless Wash ......at airport.....

Brilliant Glaze.....and drink beer....

Edited by JoeySr