Customer Service 866.965.0400

Possible to polish out

m1lkb0x

Question

Hey just curious to know if this is possible to polish out I want to say this is oxidation on the clear coat. I wouldn’t know if there was a better way to explain it but when you run you’re finger across it it just as smooth as the paint so I know it’s not chipping or anything.

50A72AA4-F5BE-4B2A-9528-B20E83647D09.jpeg

7 answers to this question

2 hours ago, m1lkb0x said:

Hey just curious to know if this is possible to polish out I want to say this is oxidation on the clear coat. I wouldn’t know if there was a better way to explain it but when you run you’re finger across it it just as smooth as the paint so I know it’s not chipping or anything.

50A72AA4-F5BE-4B2A-9528-B20E83647D09.jpeg

Im not a professional but I had this same issue with my 93 RX7 and I was not able to polish it out. The surface was silky smooth after a few passes and there was no scratches on the surface but it still looked like this. Im pretty sure the issue is the paint under the clear coat.

Looks like clear coat failure to me. Running your hand over it won't tell you that as it could still feel smooth, in my experience. If indeed it is, taking a polisher to it will only make matters worse, and only a repaint will fix it. I'll wait to see what others think. Adding @shane@detailedreflections, @mc2hill, @TheWolf to get their inputs...

Oxidation usually has a rough feel to the touch. If it’s smooth, it makes me think something in the clearcoat or failure. 

If you have a repaint in the back of your mind, you have nothing to lose by attempting to polish it out and see what it does. Do a test spot and see what happens. Worst case is your worst case scenario comes true. 

In looking at the Mustang I'm working that has clear coat failure, 

this does not look the same even comparing the untouched vs the test spots.   I linked in the discussion since there were several good discussion points and pictures included for comparison.  this particular car does have some similarities to both a Chrysler blue and Toyota blue that had paint failures I looked over the last year or so.

Edited by RayS