Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay Comparison

Bscott94

Question

I see that there are now 3 different types of clay on the site, along with the Clay Mitt. Where does Visco Clay fall in line with Fine Grade Clay and Medium Grade Clay? Is Visco the most aggressive clay? I see that the Clay Mitt is " slightly more aggressive than our Visco Clay Bar". Would it be necessary to use medium grade followed by fine grade or are the different grades to be used depending on level of contamination? Is it beneficial to use the geo impression tool on Fine and Medium clay as well? 

12 answers to this question

Well they snuck that one in! I didn't even see it on Saturday. Too early for me to tell, Brandon, but the product descriptions of each on the website try to tell the differences. Beyond that, I'll have to defer to others. If no answer in the meantime, I'll ask tomorrow at the HQ (heading back up!).

I was just starting a conversation to hopefully be used when future confusion arises. I only have the mitt and that's what I prefer. @rrmccabe I thought that was the proper course of action. Use the least aggressive as possible, similar to polishing. But it's different than polishing in that you don't need more than one step of claying. I wanted confirmation though.

3 hours ago, nateeric said:

Falcaineer, were you ever able to figure out the order of aggressiveness for the different clay products?

Sorry, my plans fell through that day. I'll ask and get back to you later this week...

It's been 6 months and no-one has posted any clarification.

I started a thread under Washing, Drying, and Decontamination/New Car Decon and @Nickfire20 answered a similar question I had with the following:

As a reference for Adam’s clay...

LEAST AGGRESSIVE————————————MOST AGGRESSIVE   

Fine grade                 Medium Grade              Visco

Don't know where the Clay Mitt falls.

On 4/30/2019 at 6:22 PM, rrmccabe said:

Well I agree with the least aggressive as possible. I just cant imagine using clay in steps.  I would use the least aggressive clay that did the job and then polish if needed

Absolutely,  I wasn’t explaining a process it was purely the difference’s in the physical bars, and why there are 3 of them

7 hours ago, Nickfire20 said:

Absolutely,  I wasn’t explaining a process it was purely the difference’s in the physical bars, and why there are 3 of them

@Nickfire20  This is Correct. You provided me with the response when I asked what Visco Clay was and should I use it on my new car.

The OP was asking "Where does Visco Clay fall in line with Fine Grade Clay and Medium Grade Clay? Is Visco the most aggressive clay?

I was just relaying the knowledge I gained from your response to me. I don't know very much if anything, but I did learn that clay isn't used in steps. Use the grade that is required to decontaminate your vehicle and move along to the next step.

8 hours ago, Bscott94 said:

@rrmccabe I thought that was the proper course of action. Use the least aggressive as possible, similar to polishing.

Well I agree with the least aggressive as possible. I just cant imagine using clay in steps.  I would use the least aggressive clay that did the job and then polish if needed