Customer Service 866.965.0400

12mm Mini

TR6speed

Question

I currently have a PC 7424 that I have had for years.  I does a good job at polishing the car, but it is not the best for getting the paint in great shape.  It does not help that I have a C6 Corvette that is known for it hard clear coat.  So will the mini swirl killer work even is I wanted to do say the hood or other large areas?

5 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, TR6speed said:

I currently have a PC 7424 that I have had for years.  I does a good job at polishing the car, but it is not the best for getting the paint in great shape.  It does not help that I have a C6 Corvette that is known for it hard clear coat.  So will the mini swirl killer work even is I wanted to do say the hood or other large areas?

Hi Jack, I was wanting to pursue the same thing when I first was researching polishers. I was told that the Mini is not setup to do larger jobs as it has a tendency to produce a lot of heat. If I remember correctly, what happens is that heat will cause issues in the machine, particularly in the backing plate.  It was designed for small areas and touch up correction. The SK 15 and 21 better heat regulated and are designed to tackle full corrections at a time.

I just saw the SK 15 on amazon prime for under $200

Edited by Yo-Yo Ma's Cousin

You could work a good with a mini. But I wouldn’t want to. It would take a long time to get adequate coverage. We use the mini for areas our bigger polishers don’t fit or a quick spot correction. 

There is something to be said for having the right tool for the job at hand. The most universal polisher is the 15. So if you’re going to have one polisher, that’s the one. 

6 hours ago, TR6speed said:

Hey Jack,

I wouldn't recommend using the mini on large areas, it is designed for tight areas.

@TR6speed If you are looking to add another polisher, I agree with the others and would add the SK 15, then put a 3" backing plate on the PC and use it for smaller areas.  I have used a Mini polishing a lot on the curvy sides and hood of a Porsche Cayenne, but it took a long time.  

Another recommendation would be to switch to a 5" backing plate and thin microfiber + foam pads on the PC.  But the smoothness of the long throw machines (Swirl Killer, Rupes, etc.) is hard to pass up.

Edited by mc2hill