Customer Service 866.965.0400

Microfiber Towel Care

Junkman2008

Question

This question comes up often and I always have to go search for my post on the matter. Thus, I decided to create a thread just in case someone is searching for this information. :thumbsup:

How to Wash Microfiber Towels

First off, you only want to wash them in COLD water. DO NOT use a lot of soap. My towels never get very dirty or greasy because they are only used to wipe polish or wax from the car, thus I can use a gentle detergent like Woolite. You don't want to use the hash detergents like the stuff you use on your regular clothing. If your towels are a little dirtier than normal, let them soak in the washing machine overnight. Simply add the proper amount of Woolite to the washer, add the towels and fill the washer to the proper level. Use the gentle cycle to wash these towels. Allow the wash cycle to begin for 1 minute so that the Woolite has a chance to mix with the towels and then shut the washer down. Let it sit for as long as necessary (overnight if that's what you need, shorter times for towels not as bad), and then start the washer back up later.

DO NOT use any fabric softener of any kind! Do not use too much Woolite! Read the bottle, a little goes a long way. If 1x is good, 2x is worse in this case. Also NEVER. EVER, EVER wash these towels with any other article of clothing, especially bath towels and wash clothes. That will ruin them too.

After the wash, DO NOT DRY THEM IN A DRYER USING HIGH HEAT!!! (if you do, you may as well use them to check the oil because they are useless at that point). I don't use a dryer at all. I allow them to air dry. String up a clothes line in your garage or outside somewhere and buy some clothes pins (if you can find some, that's some old school equipment right there!). If fabric sheets are used with these towels, it will destroy them. That will cause them to start scratching the crap out of your car. Drying them in the dryer with too much heat will do the same thing, that why I tell guys never to machine dry them.

If you follow these rules, your towels will keep the consistency and softness that they had from day one. If you allow your wives or girlfriends to do this, trust me, they will screw them up unless they have read this. Don't assume that they know how to do this and don't let them tell you that they know what they are doing when it comes to microfiber. They do not own, nor have they probably ever owned a piece of material like this so they will not be aware of these requirements. Test them before you hand them over and see if they get it right. I guarantee they won't.

I just had a funny thought. I would love to see the look on some of your wives faces when you ask for some Woolite. lol.gif

• Answers 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well that explains why two of my towels scratched the car the other day..like an idiot I did everything you basically said not to do! I will have to give this your wash method a try

Follow Junkman's lead. He actually knows what he is talking about. :willy:

Do you have high cholesteral?? If so, watch out for the monster pizza thread also created by Junkman. sFun_thewave.gif

I assume the same rules apply to the triple white towel? Can it be washed with the blue MF? I dont really care if it turns blue as long as it performs the same as when it was white...

Junkman, you ever do the 'boil MF in vinegar water' thing? I have a couple that are losing their fluffiness (wow, thats a word I hope to never use again).

I assume the same rules apply to the triple white towel? Can it be washed with the blue MF? I dont really care if it turns blue as long as it performs the same as when it was white...

Junkman, you ever do the 'boil MF in vinegar water' thing? I have a couple that are losing their fluffiness (wow, thats a word I hope to never use again).

Look out, the next thing that'll happen is the kids will be refering to your MF towels as "dad's laundry"!

Only wash MF with MF. Don't mix anything else with those towels. They will collect anything and everything that another type of clothing sheds. I have never done the boil in vinegar thing so I'm no help there. I hope to never have too. Washing the way I do, I haven't had to yet.

I just had a funny thought. I would love to see the look on some of your wives faces when you ask for some Woolite. lol.gif

The better look is going to come when I ask to use the washing machine!:lol:

If anyone has done the boil thing can they give there opinion in here with any concerns? I have "sacrificed" 3 of my older mf towels to polish the aluminum on the 32. I didn't want to do it, but Adam convinced me that I couldn't get the results with my polished aluminum and his metal polish if I didn't use the mf towels. Well you can imagine how stained they look even though I use the APC on them and hand wash them before putting in the dryer. It would be interesting to know if the boil thing works before I go buy a special pot just for that. I am forbidden to look too long at any pots in the house!

Just to add a little to the excellent advice AJ posted:

If your towels are a little more soiled than usual, lets say you accidentally wiped a panel that had grease or road grime on it and you're not entirely confident your usual MF care routine will work I recommend using a dedicated microfiber detergent. Personally I use MicroRestore for all my MF cleaning... feel free to PM me if you need help finding a place to buy it.

510PG1N0NQL._SL500_AA280_.gif

Also, if your washer has the setting, putting them thru an extra rinse cycle is never a bad idea. Lets face it, these towels are premium... a little extra rinse to make extra sure everything is out of them could never hurt. Not to be contrary to AJ, I do use the dryer, but mine does have an "AIR DRY" setting where it tumbles them with no heat. This gets the majority of the water out of the towel and significantly cuts the time it takes them to dry out once hung up. If you go this route just be SURE that your dryer doesn't heat up on this setting... not all dryers are the same.

Edited by Dylan06SS

... Not to be contrary to AJ, I do use the dryer, but mine does have an "AIR DRY" setting where it tumbles them with no heat. This gets the majority of the water out of the towel and significantly cuts the time it takes them to dry out once hung up. If you go this route just be SURE that your dryer doesn't heat up on this setting... not all dryers are the same.

Air dry is good! It is the same as hanging them up outside to dry.

I use the dryer too, but I use the low heat setting. When I got Adam's MF towels they said to dry on med heat so I figured low would be even better. I live in an apartment building so I can't hang mine up outside and my girlfriend already thinks I'm crazy for caring this much about towels that I don't want to hang them up inside.

I use the dryer too, but I use the low heat setting. When I got Adam's MF towels they said to dry on med heat so I figured low would be even better. I live in an apartment building so I can't hang mine up outside and my girlfriend already thinks I'm crazy for caring this much about towels that I don't want to hang them up inside.

Dryers vary from brand to brand and that's why I don't recommend them. Some may be good and other may put out too much heat on low. Mine does but it is an ol' cheapo. I use the no heat setting to fluff the towels after they're done hang drying.

This is a commercial grade Maytag that our apartment complex uses. I clean the lint trap really well then run the dryer empty for a couple of min to get any loose lint out. It's really the only thing I can do.

Where can I get that Microfiber cleaner? sounds like an interesting product..however I will also be getting some new towels soon since they made better ones and hopefully some of that good Americana paste wax!

Where can I get that Microfiber cleaner? sounds like an interesting product..however I will also be getting some new towels soon since they made better ones and hopefully some of that good Americana paste wax!

I think Dylan might be able to hook you up.

Too funny... I just asked my wife last night if we had any Woolite in the house. She could not understand why the MF towels could not be washed with other towels or why I had to hang them to air dry.

I just asked her to please never wash them and that I will take care of them myself.

Too funny... I just asked my wife last night if we had any Woolite in the house. She could not understand why the MF towels could not be washed with other towels or why I had to hang them to air dry.

I just asked her to please never wash them and that I will take care of them myself.

:lol::lol::lol: Good job!

Adams Forum: Making the men do the laundry sice 2008. :lolsmack:

So my mother used to work at Nordstrom's for years and she says that they always told customers to never wash their bathing suites in woolite because it was petroleum based? :confused:

I personally use dye and fragrance free organic soap for mine that is meant to be used with cold water.

Hey guys i have a quick question, my brother was using my microfiber towels and he decided after he was done using them to wash them with laundry towels and a bunch of other crap. He also used tide detergent (Liquid) and also used the dryer on high. Is there anyway to revive these microfibers or is the damage already done!

Hey guys i have a quick question, my brother was using my microfiber towels and he decided after he was done using them to wash them with laundry towels and a bunch of other crap. He also used tide detergent (Liquid) and also used the dryer on high. Is there anyway to revive these microfibers or is the damage already done!

Those towels are probably full of the lent from the regular towels. Plus, the damage to the fibers on high heat is beyond repair as far as I'm concerned. Personally, they would become my oil rags. I would buy some new ones if I were you and give your loving brother the bill! :D