Customer Service 866.965.0400

Microfiber Towel Care

Junkman2008

Question

This question comes up often and I always have to go search for my post on the matter. Thus, I decided to create a thread just in case someone is searching for this information. :thumbsup:

How to Wash Microfiber Towels

First off, you only want to wash them in COLD water. DO NOT use a lot of soap. My towels never get very dirty or greasy because they are only used to wipe polish or wax from the car, thus I can use a gentle detergent like Woolite. You don't want to use the hash detergents like the stuff you use on your regular clothing. If your towels are a little dirtier than normal, let them soak in the washing machine overnight. Simply add the proper amount of Woolite to the washer, add the towels and fill the washer to the proper level. Use the gentle cycle to wash these towels. Allow the wash cycle to begin for 1 minute so that the Woolite has a chance to mix with the towels and then shut the washer down. Let it sit for as long as necessary (overnight if that's what you need, shorter times for towels not as bad), and then start the washer back up later.

DO NOT use any fabric softener of any kind! Do not use too much Woolite! Read the bottle, a little goes a long way. If 1x is good, 2x is worse in this case. Also NEVER. EVER, EVER wash these towels with any other article of clothing, especially bath towels and wash clothes. That will ruin them too.

After the wash, DO NOT DRY THEM IN A DRYER USING HIGH HEAT!!! (if you do, you may as well use them to check the oil because they are useless at that point). I don't use a dryer at all. I allow them to air dry. String up a clothes line in your garage or outside somewhere and buy some clothes pins (if you can find some, that's some old school equipment right there!). If fabric sheets are used with these towels, it will destroy them. That will cause them to start scratching the crap out of your car. Drying them in the dryer with too much heat will do the same thing, that why I tell guys never to machine dry them.

If you follow these rules, your towels will keep the consistency and softness that they had from day one. If you allow your wives or girlfriends to do this, trust me, they will screw them up unless they have read this. Don't assume that they know how to do this and don't let them tell you that they know what they are doing when it comes to microfiber. They do not own, nor have they probably ever owned a piece of material like this so they will not be aware of these requirements. Test them before you hand them over and see if they get it right. I guarantee they won't.

I just had a funny thought. I would love to see the look on some of your wives faces when you ask for some Woolite. lol.gif

• Answers 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hey Junkman I noticed you said wash in cold water only but the tag that came with my towels said warm water and warm dry cycle only. Dont know if they changed towels and directions since you first wrote this up but figured I would drop my 2 cents.

I look at it this way. Number one, you can never go wrong washing stuff in cold water. It will definitely last longer. Two, there are a lot of different types of washer and dryers out there and some are not true to their settings. If you use a raggedy 24-hour laundromat machine which gets too hot in the washer and in the dryer, you could take a chance at ruining your towels. Instead of taking that chance, I recommend that you do it the way I posted. Like I said before, you can't mess them up doing it that way.

My towels are as soft as day one. I know this because I am constantly touching new towels at the shows. Thus, I am not comparing my washed towels to my other washed towels. I constant get to see what a new one feels like and the ones I use at home feel the exact same way. I don't loose time waiting on my towels to dry because I have enough to use when a load is in the wash. Instead of chancing it, I would tell everyone to buy more towels. :2thumbs:

This question comes up often and I always have to go search for my post on the matter. Thus, I decided to create a thread just in case someone is searching for this information. :thumbsup:

How to Wash Microfiber Towels

First off, you only want to wash them in COLD water. DO NOT use a lot of soap. My towels never get very dirty or greasy because they are only used to wipe polish or wax from the car, thus I can use a gentle detergent like Woolite. You don't want to use the hash detergents like the stuff you use on your regular clothing. If your towels are a little dirtier than normal, let them soak in the washing machine overnight. Simply add the proper amount of Woolite to the washer, add the towels and fill the washer to the proper level. Use the gentle cycle to wash these towels. Allow the wash cycle to begin for 1 minute so that the Woolite has a chance to mix with the towels and then shut the washer down. Let it sit for as long as necessary (overnight if that's what you need, shorter times for towels not as bad), and then start the washer back up later.

DO NOT use any fabric softener of any kind! Do not use too much Woolite! Read the bottle, a little goes a long way. If 1x is good, 2x is worse in this case. Also NEVER. EVER, EVER wash these towels with any other article of clothing, especially bath towels and wash clothes. That will ruin them too.

After the wash, DO NOT DRY THEM IN A DRYER USING HIGH HEAT!!! (if you do, you may as well use them to check the oil because they are useless at that point). I don't use a dryer at all. I allow them to air dry. String up a clothes line in your garage or outside somewhere and buy some clothes pins (if you can find some, that's some old school equipment right there!). If fabric sheets are used with these towels, it will destroy them. That will cause them to start scratching the crap out of your car. Drying them in the dryer with too much heat will do the same thing, that why I tell guys never to machine dry them.

If you follow these rules, your towels will keep the consistency and softness that they had from day one. If you allow your wives or girlfriends to do this, trust me, they will screw them up unless they have read this. Don't assume that they know how to do this and don't let them tell you that they know what they are doing when it comes to microfiber. They do not own, nor have they probably ever owned a piece of material like this so they will not be aware of these requirements. Test them before you hand them over and see if they get it right. I guarantee they won't.

I just had a funny thought. I would love to see the look on some of your wives faces when you ask for some Woolite. lol.gif

That is all good info. Thanks for posting it.

???

Not sure I understand the question ?

Well there was a used dryer sheet in the dryer when I did a load with my towels for wheels and stuff, then I unloaded that and loaded in my microfiber towels for polishing paintwork and ran it through on air dry. When I was unloading it, I noticed there was a dryer sheet all along in the dryer. The thing is it had been used in two dryer cycles so I was wondering if the towels are ruined or do you think all of the fabric softener stuff from the dryer sheet would be gone after two loads.

Sorry for the delayed response, they are probably fine but I would have washed them again and dried them without a dryer sheet. But you are right there probably wasn't much of anything left on the dryer sheet. And I don't think it will completely ruin your MF towels anyways, but it would cause streaking, but that's just my opinion.

Sorry for the delayed response, they are probably fine but I would have washed them again and dried them without a dryer sheet. But you are right there probably wasn't much of anything left on the dryer sheet. And I don't think it will completely ruin your MF towels anyways, but it would cause streaking, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the advice, and I did wash and dry them overnight just to make sure. I'm just going to use them today, then I think I'll order some new ones just to be sure.

Usually the drier sheet is spent after going through a dry cycle with my clothes so I'm sure you're OK.

I don't use woolite but I do use the FREE detergent. It's free of all the smells and other stuff...

Chris

Usually the drier sheet is spent after going through a dry cycle with my clothes so I'm sure you're OK.

I don't use woolite but I do use the FREE detergent. It's free of all the smells and other stuff...

Chris

Good idea. You should be okay.

Thanks for the responses! Towels turned out fine from what I saw. Nevertheless, I'll be purchasing new ones soon.

Thanks for the responses! Towels turned out fine from what I saw. Nevertheless, I'll be purchasing new ones soon.

You can never have enough of them, I have enough for doing a few cars so I can hang them all in a bag and do a full size load of them :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I had no detergent (only had tide 2x with febreze, wanted to be safe and not use it) so i just raised it till majority of the polish came out. Then i wash it in the washer with no detergent on the setting of "hand wash".. Then air dry.. Im not sure how "clean" it is..:xfingers:

I'll be washing my first batch of adams MF tonight. I have 2 small buckets Im gonna put 5 in some water/whoolite and let them soak overnight then wash and rinse them in the other bucket.

The blue towels will dye the white ones a light blue if you mix them but no harm.

I assume the same rules apply to the triple white towel? Can it be washed with the blue MF? I dont really care if it turns blue as long as it performs the same as when it was white...

no one ever answered this question.

do we need to separate the blue MF towels and the white drying towels?

It worked great washing them by hand. I let them sit in whoolite/water overnight and then rang them out and put them in some warm water(new bucket) and washed them 1by1 rinsing them out with the hose to get all tge suds out. Then I let them hand dry on a line over night. They feel like new and although my towels looked clean before tge wash their was alot of black crap in the bottem of both buckets.

I wash all of mine together. It's fine. But I would recommend a microfiber washing detergent instead of using Tide or Whoolite ect.

Which microfiber washing detergent?

Edit: Couldn't find any at Wal-mart so i just picked up Woo

Edited by tlsole

no one ever answered this question.

do we need to separate the blue MF towels and the white drying towels?

I don't like having my white MF towels faded blue so I wash everything separately. It probably doesn't hurt that your towels are faded, I'm just anal. Plus, I don't want any lint from one type of towel mixing with any other type of towel. Again, I'm just anal.