Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning Door Jams

Devin04

Question

Is there an easy way to do this w/o getting the inside wet and that can combat the years of dirt buildup? Now that I'm washing other people's cars I'm finding that this is an area that is very neglected.

First of all always wipe doors out every time you wash your car ,and it will not build up !:2thumbs:

You can use the new Waterless Car Wash also.

The waterless wash works great and it makes the car smell good I've received alot of compliments using this method.

Along with a microfiber towel......

/Thread

What I've done in the past utilizes a combination of Detail Spray, a Detail Sponge (the old gray block style), Car Wash, and some Microfiber.

For the easy to reach areas -

Get the sponge damp with water... place a quarter sized drop of car wash on the middle, fold the sponge in on itself to get the soap to work its way in. Then squeeze viggorously. This will generate a pretty substantial lather.

Take your DS and on the stream (not spray) setting saturate the area really well. Then using your lathered up sponge gently wipe away the dirt.

Then using a detail brush and lots of DS I get into the cracks and crevices.

Follow up with a light mist of detail spray and wipe down with microfiber.

I'll follow that with a pass of Revive by hand just to make sure everything is extra clean.

What no butter after? I think I see another use for quick sealant. Question do you have to knock it done with micro fiber after OR can you jsut spray and leave?

What no butter after? I think I see another use for quick sealant. Question do you have to knock it done with micro fiber after OR can you jsut spray and leave?

For this area I would say spray it on the applicator and wipe on. Let it set, and wipe with a MF after.

I just painted the jambs on my 90 K5 Blazer this week at school so I thought I'd share. I'll def be cleaning them every wash. the paint is GM cyber gray metallic, cant wait to get the whole thing painted, the 2 month wait before I can lay some americana on it is gonna be hard lol

photo.jpg

photo_1.jpg

Edited by Ian6

I clean my door jambs after every wash with waterless wash :thumbsup:

Yes, I was just thinking a coat of quick sealant or butter will aid in shine and easy dust removal later, what ya think. More work in a sense.

Yes, I was just thinking a coat of quick sealant or butter will aid in shine and easy dust removal later, what ya think. More work in a sense.

That's what I did my last detail. Seems to help but it still gets trapped in the corners. Oh well, that's what my new-fangled sidekick is for :pc:

So guys,

Anyone give this any thought? Your door jams and hinges are extremly greasy (light) and grime all over. You spry with APC and use brush and dampen water with 3-3 oz of APC to wipe followed by DS. WW will not cut grime as well I found so it is out of this one.

SO, here is the ? Will the APC promote rust or hinge issues as it is slightly acidic I would assume??

So guys,

Anyone give this any thought? Your door jams and hinges are extremly greasy (light) and grime all over. You spry with APC and use brush and dampen water with 3-3 oz of APC to wipe followed by DS. WW will not cut grime as well I found so it is out of this one.

SO, here is the ? Will the APC promote rust or hinge issues as it is slightly acidic I would assume??

No I wouldn't think so. It's a KILLER degreaser, but isn't that far up the pH scale. Make sure you turn your firehose nozzle down a bunch, and gently flood the area out. A good time to hit the jambs is when the car is still soaped...after you've hit the paint. Perhaps take an additional wash pad, to use as an agitator.

Mook

I spray them down with All Purpose Cleaner, then use my steamer, small soft brush attachment that fits in tight spots, works very well, then simply wipe it down with a MFT.

Bought my steamer at Harbor Freight for 100 bucks, works extremely well on carpets too.

A must have IMO

I also use it on engines, dries very fast and not have to worry about any damage.

Kevin

Kevin

I spray them down with All Purpose Cleaner, then use my steamer, small soft brush attachment that fits in tight spots, works very well, then simply wipe it down with a MFT.

Bought my steamer at Harbor Freight for 100 bucks, works extremely well on carpets too.

A must have IMO

I also use it on engines, dries very fast and not have to worry about any damage.

Kevin

Kevin

Do you have a Model #?

A must have IMO

Do you have a Model #?

They sell the McCulloch steamer. It appears to be model MC1275, which available lots of places. Here is a older thread by a member with the same model - http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/wheels-trim-undercarriage-engine-bay-detailing/11724.htm.