Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brake Dust Question

Natch02

Question

I have a 2004 Murano with I think alloy wheels. The problem is that I am getting excessive brake dust sticking to the wheels. I put ceramic pads on the car about 5,000 miles ago but it didnt help. Any recommendation on what I can put on the wheels to cut down on the dust sticking? Also what about wheel wax?

23 answers to this question

Brake dust is always going to stick no matter what. Since the particles are searing hot, they're going to grab and hold onto anything they come in contact with. A quality sealant would help, but would wear away rather quickly.

Most wheel waxes are basically a polymer sealant in paste form and actually don't contain any wax - carnuaba melts at 180*, so it's useless on wheels, and most sealants will die at around 350* - so either way you go, if you're heavy on the brakes just a few times, the products will break down and go bye-bye. There are some wheel waxes made from PTFE (Teflon), that can endure temperatures over 700*, but they're a bit on the pricey side.

My 350Z did the same thing when I first got it. I just put EBC Green Stuff pads on it and have not had a brake dust problem since. As long as your pads make dust, nothing is going to keep it from sticking to the wheels. Wax just makes it easier to remove the dust after it adheres.

Les

Brake dust sucks! GWC does an amazing job of cleaning it off. Get yourself the GWC, Bolder Blond wheel brush and the power stick and it will make life easier.

I think waxing the wheels helps but it may just be me... I used Americana last time.

Chris

I'm surprised you didn't at least see a sizable reduction in brake dust by switching to ceramic pads. The TBSS has notoriously dusty brakes from the factory so when I upgraded my rotors I made sure to get some quality ceramic pads and that dramatically reduced the amount of dust settling on my wheels.

its not an adams product, but my favorite thing to use for sealing wheels is Rejex.

I havent had this much dust till I went to ceramic. I bought them because they are supposed to cause less dust.

What brand/model of pads did you get?? I personally went with Posiquiets b/c the reviews were good, no squeaking/squealing like with many ceramic pads, and little to no dust.

Yeah I wash it every week and use APC which has no problem getting the dust off. I was just trying to find something that would help to deter the dust from sticking.

Like it was said earlier, you can put a coat of MSW on the wheels but the APC is going to severely shorten its lifespan.

Nothing to fancy. I went with wagner thermoquiet. I get no noise just more dust than I would like. They are actually on the wifes car and that explains the heavy breaking, I mean dust!!!

I replaced my wife's brakes on her Volvo XC70 with the Wagner Thermoquiet. The OEM pads made the front wheels a mess, the first drive after a wash. These Wagner pads keep the wheels much noticably cleaner. Her alloy wheels are clear coated, are yours? Could be the coating, or texture of the wheels that's holding the brake dust.

armor all came out with a wheel protectant, and they show it repeling dirty water or thin mud BUT will a wax do the same thing?

I have just tried Armor All's version and Eagle One's. The vehicles used were my '09 G8 GT and my wife's '07 TBSS. I tried on each vehicle then switched after next wash.

So how did the product work? :confused: I gave both bottles away.

I just washed her TBSS and the final step was a coat of (CENSORED) wheel glaze on her wheels. One bad thing about that wheel glaze: Don't get it on the tires unless you like to scrub and scrub and scrub; trust me on that!;)

Edited by sportredmistress
I censored myself !

I have a 2004 Murano with I think alloy wheels. The problem is that I am getting excessive brake dust sticking to the wheels. I put ceramic pads on the car about 5,000 miles ago but it didnt help. Any recommendation on what I can put on the wheels to cut down on the dust sticking? Also what about wheel wax?

Avoid braking :lolsmack: