Customer Service 866.965.0400

Often overlooked... cleaning the headliner...

iiiJEFFiii

Question

Of all the tutorial videos I've watched online, write-ups I've read about details that were performed, and "before & after" pictures I've seen, I don't think I've ever seen anybody mention anything about cleaning the headliner. I have a light tan colored headliner (willow). I drive around with my windows down most of the time and the headliner is starting to build up dirt mostly where the wind blows in. Any tips on getting it cleaned up without ruining my headliner?

14 answers to this question

I'd say stay clear of the brush. Most headliner material is very thin and delicate, not mention only tenuously attached with a mild adhesive, scrubbing at it with a brush could cause some issues.

I'd still use the carpet & upholstery cleaner, but spray directly onto a soft cloth and blot at the spot more than wipe. If you do wipe do it gently.

I'd say stay clear of the brush. Most headliner material is very thin and delicate, not mention only tenuously attached with a mild adhesive, scrubbing at it with a brush could cause some issues.

I'd still use the carpet & upholstery cleaner, but spray directly onto a soft cloth and blot at the spot more than wipe. If you do wipe do it gently.

Makes sense. Thanks for the warning! :cheers:

A mild interior brush and some Adams carpet and upholstery cleaner should fix you right up. :2thumbs:

Exactly.

One of the kids got chocolate on my gray headliner and I took the Adams Carpet and Upholstery cleaner with a soft toothbrush and it came right out.

No stain left behind. It worked great. :rockon::rockon:

I know this is an older thread but thought I could help alittle more and alot safer way then using a brush on a cloth headliner.(which is never)

I use a couple micro-fibers towels, spray one micro-fiber towel with a very mild interior cleaner (like adams carpet and upholstery cleaner) and don't over saturate it. Just use a couple sprays on the micro-fiber and do a section at a time, But remember don't get ahead of yourself doing to big of a section, because you have to use the other micro-fiber to gently rub off the excess dirt residue.

Gently rub the liner with back and forth motion. Use the other micro-fiber to again gently go back over to get any remaining residue-loose dirt that's on the surface.

If your not satisfied or getting the results your after sometimes a second or third application is often required,(like when working on your paint) just be sure to check and make sure it's not damp before applying your second application.

Remember do not spray on the headliner itself or use any harsh cleaners! It could cause the glue to seperate from the backing panel and causing the cloth to start sagging.

I always check the headliner for dirtiness and a couple of shops in my area dont because they think the customer wont look up.I also use the microfiber to clean and use a real soft toothbrush but dont oversoak as stated earlier and be careful your stain doesnt spread and do more harm than good.

I had a 91 Chevy Celebrity Wagon. Cleaned the headliner with the carpet steam cleaner I rented from the local grocery store. Well, shortly after it dried, the glue let loose, and the headliner dropped off! I went to Lowe's, picked up several simulated wood battons, cut and notched them to fit tightly laterally across the ceiling. Wish I'd have taken pictures, looked like a Conestoga Wagon!:)

I had a 91 Chevy Celebrity Wagon. Cleaned the headliner with the carpet steam cleaner I rented from the local grocery store. Well, shortly after it dried, the glue let loose, and the headliner dropped off! I went to Lowe's, picked up several simulated wood battons, cut and notched them to fit tightly laterally across the ceiling. Wish I'd have taken pictures, looked like a Conestoga Wagon!:)

That's nothing. There's a guy on my Thunderbird group that used Bamboo for the headliner in his 'Bird.