Customer Service 866.965.0400

Getting amped for a BIG detail

Team Adam's

Question

Just got word from the body shop that my "NEW" truck will finally be ready later today or early tomorrow. Can't wait to actually enjoy the vehicle, especially since I made my first payment yesterday and I've only driven 30 miles!! :(

I was already prepared to spend 2-3 full days giving the black paint a full work over since I'm sure it had plenty of dealer installed scratches, but now its REALLY gonna be go time!!

The body shop has had the truck for over 3 weeks now, and the panels that didn't need repair have no doubt been exposed to all manner of overspray, rain, dirt, etc. I'm enlisting the help of a friend to document this detail, perhaps with video as I'm sure it'll be a big one.

Strangely enough I'm really excited to get started... its been a long time since I've detailed anything. I had an urge to polish and wax the hood of my crappy Sebring rental car earlier :help:

For those of you waiting for your winter weather to let up enough for the big annual detail are you getting excited?? Its really sick if you think about it, getting excited about spending an entire weekend+ in the garage "working"... and I can't wait!! :lolsmack:

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted Images

Lots of great shots Dylan. :glasses:

You are a sick man doing all that correction on a black DD, I know, I do the same thing! Can't wait to see it fully 'blacked out'.

I will start the 'black out' on my truck in a few weeks - my son finishes his final high school basketball season, so the booster sticker comes off (as well as all the others) and I will repaint my front grill and roof racks.

looks great!making me want to detail my truck but with all this salt it is pointless come on spring

At least the deer like the salt! Check out my truck after the last snow, and a herd of deer with a salt addiction in our driveway! :willy:

like it's almost new, again! :lol: Brother that looks great, and when are you going to do the drop, wheels, etc??

Happy you have your new rig again, and how many miles are on her now??

almost :lolsmack:

Drop will be very soon... wheels shortly after that, just want to get the suspension setup first and give it a chance to settle in before I shove big wheels under it.

At the time these pictures were taken I've driven it a grand total of 50 miles (including the 30 prior to the fun Saturday morning on the 5 freeway)

WOW Great stuff! Love the our painter is a pro, pro finger painter maybe

I can't complain about the paint itself, except for one spot on the drivers door (which I'm gonna have them reshoot) the paint is really good. The prep on the other hand looks like someone with no experience used a rotary and a wool pad to finish... its bad.

Nicely done Dylan!

I sent you a text the other day, I was wondering what you had now.

LOL... that was you!! I saw that text and was thinking who the hell is this?? Then I forgot to respond when I had a second.

Looks much better, that's bad even for a dealer. The next vehicle I order will have the prep done by myself. That is a great looking ride and really looks nice polished up.

This is the first vehicle I've ever bought that had been sitting on a lot. The TBSS, the Silverado SS before it, and all my other cars before that had been ordered and delivered. I was there when they took them off the truck and I removed all the plastic, etc. In order to get the deal I did on this one I had to take one that had been sitting awhile... the thousands I saved are worth a weekend in the garage to make it right.

Day 2 pictures are uploading now.... while you wait heres another inspection pic I missed on saturday:

_DSC0103.jpg

Looks great!!

For the VRT, are you spraying it all over the vinyl on the truck and then wiping it with a rag or are you putting the VRT on a applicator then wiping it all over?

I cut the VRT with water, spray on and wipe with a blue foam dressing applicator. Around the edges and near the paint I spray onto the app and wipe on. I then follow up with a clean MF towel to knock down any excess product and give a nice matte finish.

Also if you get some white dusting using the SHR, what are you doing/using to get rid of the dust before going to FMP?? Thanks again:2thumbs:

Well first the dusting from SHR should be minimal... if you are getting more than just a little bit theres a couple of potential causes:

• You're lifting a pad edge and applying uneven pressure
  • You're buffing accross an uneven or raised edge
  • You're using too much product

For the trace amounts of dusting I occasionally get with SHR, and they are minimal, I just wipe them away with DS and an MF when I remove the polish to inspect.

At least the deer like the salt! Check out my truck after the last snow, and a herd of deer with a salt addiction in our driveway! :willy:

In the spring, your neighbors may ask you "Are those swirl marks?"

You can answer "Nah, those are lick marks!" :)

Guest Gone & Forgotten

On the next 'Junkman's Garage', the 'man shows you how to handle swirl marks caused by deer tongue and then train the deer to only lick without pressing. All this, and how to get out of the Matrix by using a leaf blower to simulate an indoor dust storm for educational purposes - on the next Junkman's Garage!

Yeah, something like that.

On the next 'Junkman's Garage', the 'man shows you how to handle swirl marks caused by deer tongue and then train the deer to only lick without pressing. All this, and how to get out of the Matrix by using a leaf blower to simulate an indoor dust storm for educational purposes - on the next Junkman's Garage!

Yeah, something like that.

:lol:

Archived