Customer Service 866.965.0400

Not a 110% satisfied Or am I...

19stang88

Question

Today I attempted to correct my paint from swirls and scratches with the PC and SHR with the orange pad at 5 OPMS with 9-10 lbs of press or enough to bog down the PC. Most of the swirls came out except the deeper scratches. I ran my finger nail across the deeper scratches and my finger nail didn't stop or get caught in the scratch. I did 2 passes with the PC. Do you guys think that I should use the more invasive method ie yellow pad. I followed the same techniques as JUNKMAN did in his videos. Before I return my products, should i purchase a yellow pad or is there something i can do with the orange pad that can make it more effective.

Thanks, David.

• Answers 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would actually encourage more passes with the orange pad before going to the yellow. The yellow pads beats up the paint to the point where multiple passes of FMP are necessary to clean up that orange pad damage. It's kind of 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. You pay the piper eventually and going from the orange to the white is a lot easier in the long run.

Remember, some damage will not come out unless you resort to more aggressive measures, and I don't mean the yellow pad.

Good idea, I'll do more passes with the orange pad before I move to the yellow destroyer. During the process of correcting my paint with the orange pad, i noticed it was very clogged up. Would a clogged pad retain its cutting abilities oppose to a clean one? Also what do you mean about more aggressive measures? wet sanding?

today, i took 4 hours to do 1/4 of my car. from what everybody has been saying patience patience patience! Well i did just that!....I was so impressed!! however, i didn't get it to perfect, i need the yellow pad for more shred power. But i am very satisfied. Thanks to everybody for the help and encouragement

I am glad we could help.

today, i took 4 hours to do 1/4 of my car. from what everybody has been saying patience patience patience! Well i did just that!....I was so impressed!! however, i didn't get it to perfect, i need the yellow pad for more shred power. But i am very satisfied. Thanks to everybody for the help and encouragement

I would actually encourage more passes with the orange pad before going to the yellow. The yellow pads beats up the paint to the point where multiple passes of FMP are necessary to clean up that orange pad damage. It's kind of 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. You pay the piper eventually and going from the orange to the white is a lot easier in the long run.

Remember, some damage will not come out unless you resort to more aggressive measures, and I don't mean the yellow pad.

As a novice, you are somewhat limited in how effective your first attempt will be. However, if Sal Zaino had shown you exactly how to use his products, you would have been a lot more successful. Well, the Junkman has shown you exactly that. You have a template to use and go by. Combine that with all the help available on this forum and you can not do anything but succeed. The more you work on your car, the better you will get. Perfect practice makes perfect!

Maybe this is why I am at Adams now, LOL. And trust me once I get the swirls out I feel real confident that I will not EVER have to do it again, well reasonably sure since I am going to drive it, LOL. Trust me I really do appreciate the time and experience I have on this forum, I just look forward to the day I can be of help to someone else. That dinner is getting bigger by the day.

With Adam's SHR, you are not going to damage your paint if you use the polisher and product as I do in my videos. Furthermore, you will not need to use the aggressive SHR over and over again. Once you remove the swirls and scratches from your paint, you should never have to use SHR again, because you will follow the instructions I give on properly caring for your paint. If you no longer do the things that swirled up your paint in the first place, then you will NOT have to deal with swirled up paint again.

You will pick up some micro-scratches here and there, but FMP will easily take care of them. It will take FMP forever plus 1000 years to eat your clear coat off the car so that is the ideal touch up polish. Care for your paint correctly and that is all you will need as far as polish is concerned.

As a novice, you are somewhat limited in how effective your first attempt will be. However, if Sal Zaino had shown you exactly how to use his products, you would have been a lot more successful. Well, the Junkman has shown you exactly that. You have a template to use and go by. Combine that with all the help available on this forum and you can not do anything but succeed. The more you work on your car, the better you will get. Perfect practice makes perfect!

OK I understand now, the videos were deceptive in that it looked like you did it in a few passes, but I understand now, my bad.

So I ask as a newbie, let's say it takes six passes with the SHR to make the paint perfect, no swirls, no scuffs, and no scratches using the techniques in the videos, we will not do enough damage to the clear, correct.

My Camaro is really not bad, but I tried a little test last night to see how easy it scratched/swirled up. I took a 2"x2" section and cleaned it, I then rubbed my fingers over that section very lightly to see if I could feel the grit, of course I then could see the scratches/swirls in my paint, I think it maybe a combination of a couple of things. One I have not CLEANED my car and taken all the old stuff off of it, another brand, but it appeared to clean up with the detail spray.

One question I have to ask is that alot of times I read that our expertise is very limited. I completely agree, as a matter of fact I have none since I have never done this before in my life so to say I am a novice is an understatement. I believe that most of my swirls/scratches are from improper dusting. I was using Zaino before and did not like it because it seemed to "gum up" but in all honesty that was probably my fault and inexperience at using their products. With that being said I feel pretty confident from watching the videos and buying these products ( Adam's) that I can achieve the results that I want even with little to no experience, so by inexperience do you mean the time it takes to complete the process or are there tricks to the trade that I have to discover? As always I really appreciate the great info I receive here.

Dang everybody is so helpful! Like junkman said years of damage is not going to be corrected instantly, true. But i just painted my car in November. So i figured its not going to take a lot of passes to remove swirls and deeper scratches. I want to re-work it and take a little more time in a 2x2 section. Wish i could find my camera's charger so i can take pictures, its actually a big difference! If im not satisfied, I'm calling Ashley for a yellow pad! Thanks everybody for the help, and Junkman for the needed insight.

The only thing I can add is to only do a 2x2 section! Once that is perfect remember how long it took and how many passes. That will be how you are going to tackle the whole car. If that 2x2 section two or three passes to correct the whole car is going to take that much. Doing the whole car before you find out how much it is going to take to (remember the 2x2 section) correct is wasting time.

Oh and :welcomebanner: That GT is going to look KILLER when it is done!!!!!!!!!!!

You are not going to correct years of damage with 2 or 3 passes of the orange pad, and you shouldn't even be using the white pad until all the damage is gone (at least all of the damage that you can possibly remove). The thing that makes the PC so safe is the fact that it is very forgiving. It sacrifices power for safety, and that is why it is going to take a heck of a lot more passes with the orange pad before you will be able to remove all the swirls and removable scratches.

Another thing to consider is your technique. Since you are new to this, you must practice enough to develop a effective, swirl removing technique. You are NOT as a novice, going to pick up the PC and start removing 100% of the swirls the first time you use it. Impossible, unless the damage in your paint is very minimal.

You need to be realistic about this. The only way 2 or 3 passes is going to do anything is if you are using a rotary polisher with a wool pad and some 3M crazy abrasive polish that body shops use. This combination will take out the scratches rather quick, but it will also relieve your car of its clear coat AND paint. Not a good trade off for the results you want.

Since I don't know how bad your damage is, I can't tell you how many passes it will take. However, I do know that years and years of damage is not going to come out quick or easy. The only thing you'll end up doing by returning your stuff is wasting money on more products that DON'T offer a money back guarantee. You will be forever hunting for a product that will give you instant results and I can tell you now that their is no such product.

You saw how much damage was removed with what little you've done. If 1X worked, repeat 1X as many times as necessary. As long as you are doing this correctly, you will get significant results. The damage in your paint that is extremely deep (even though your finger does not catch on it), may not be worth the headache of fussing with because it may actually require more aggressive measures like wet sanding. That's damage that you can live with until you can either become qualified to step up to a more powerful machine, or pay someone to professionally remove it.

Achieving flawless paint that has years of abuse in it is NOT going to be easy of quick. Stay true to the process and perfect your technique. That is the only way that you are going to achieve the results you are expecting. You have seen my videos and thus, know it can be done. What you have seen me do took years to perfect and thus, I can get those results regardless of the professional product I pick up. That is technique my friend and with enough practice, you will be able to do the same.

When I first tried the PC, I was sweating bullets. I was given great advice here on the forum, so I just jumped in and took care of business. The PC is so forgiving, I just kept at it and the results were amazing. Like Chris said Patience and Practice.

The products really are top notch. You can and will get the results you are looking for. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:pc:

Today I attempted to correct my paint from swirls and scratches with the PC and SHR with the orange pad at 5 OPMS with 9-10 lbs of press or enough to bog down the PC. Most of the swirls came out except the deeper scratches. I ran my finger nail across the deeper scratches and my finger nail didn't stop or get caught in the scratch. I did 2 passes with the PC. Do you guys think that I should use the more invasive method ie yellow pad. I followed the same techniques as JUNKMAN did in his videos. Before I return my products, should i purchase a yellow pad or is there something i can do with the orange pad that can make it more effective.

Thanks, David.

Dave,you need to keep trying.I spent 8 hour just on the hood of my 87 gn to make it right:pc:what i would recommend is to take it very very slow just like baby steps:thumbsup: and as far as being satisfied im 220% satisfied:bow:

So, you got most of the swirls out and want to return the products? I say relax, go over it again. If you are not satisfied then try the yellow. Don't try to return it just yet man. Good luck. Try the yellow out a lil.

Tonymac

What do u exactly mean by one pass? This is what i did. I ran the Orange pad twice on a 2x2 section and the white pad once. Should have I ran the white pad twice as well. Is the combination of SHR and FMP equal as one pass? I Would really appreciate all the help from you guys!

The PC kit was recently changed up a bit, the yellow pad was dropped and the price dropped accordingly. Our feedback was telling us that very few people needed and or wanted the yellow pad for basic corrections.

The kit used to be $289.95 w/ the yellow pad, its now $269.95 without it... a price drop fo $20 for dropping a pad valued at $12.95... better deal all the way around if you think about it.

David - sorry to hear that you didn't get the results you were expecting the first time out. Keep in mind that "deeper" scratches require more than one pass with either pad and even more aggressive methods (yellow pad) to completely remove. So if you only attempted one pass of each product I'd suggest maybe doing a few more passes with the orange pad and following up with a single run of the white pad to see if matters improve.

Keep us posted on your progress... I'm sure between a little refining in your process and a little help from all of us here you can get where you want to be.

Archived