Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polishing the MacBook (56k Warning)

The Ryan

Yup.. I got a new MacBook back in January, and after just 4 months of useage; its filled with marring, scratches and hazing.. I decided to get out my Adam's goodies and give my MacBook the love it deserves. I used:

Detail Spray

Fine Machine Polish

Americana

4" White Spot Buffing Pad

True Blue Microfibers

Rotary Drill

Here's our subject:

TheSubject.jpg

Here's the initial inspection:

Micromarring.jpg

Hazing.jpg

Scratches.jpg

Our tools to be used:

TheTools.jpg

After wiping down the surface with Detail Spray, I applied FMP with a white 4" pad via a rotary drill:

FMPapplied.jpg

FMPapp2.jpg

After removing the FMP; Inspection:

FMPrmvd.jpg

FMPrmvd2.jpg

Applied 2 coats of Americana:

AmericanaApp.jpg

AmericanaApp2.jpg

And here's our completed product:

CMP3.jpg

CMP1.jpg

CMP.jpg

My Mac looks brand new all over again.. :banana: Steve Jobs would be proud!

I do want to make something very clear. These products are not intended for use on electronics or non-clear coated surfaces; you do so at your own risk.

I'm picturing Ryan wandering around the house trying to find something to detail.

To his neighbours, don't be surprised to wake up one morning to find him, his PC, a really long (heavy gauge) extension cord and a box of red labeled bottles in your driveway....:pc:

I'm picturing Ryan wandering around the house trying to find something to detail.

To his neighbours, don't be surprised to wake up one morning to find him, his PC, a really long (heavy gauge) extension cord and a box of red labeled bottles in your driveway....:pc:

:lolsmack:

Its a shame your not far from the truth facepalm.gif

Lookin good man... look into a Speck case for it... I have one on my macbook (red transparent) and its great. Way more durable than the super soft plastic apple used to make the case on these things.

AGREED! We have a clear one on our Mac Book Pro... Keeps the aluminum like new as well... When it gets too scratched we bin it and buy another one.

We went clear because my wife wanted pink and I wanted black or red and well we couldn't come to an understanding so clear it was... :lolsmack:

Looks good though Ryan!:banana:

Chris

Loving my Apples...

GREAT IDEA!!!

Now what can i use to do this to my aluminum MacBook???

Is it scratched? Not really going to be easy to get that sand blasted finish back very easily if that's the case.

Maybe a yellow 4" pad and some metal polish? lol Just don't break the screen!

Chris

its got minor surface scratches and scuffs from day to day moving and sliding it. mostly on the bottom of it.

Like Dylan said... Try a Speck case. They're pretty good IMO.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
I do not think it is a clear coat. It is just the plastic itself can be polished.

Wahoo. 2000th post.:thumbsup:

:iagree:

It's a high-gloss plastic, so you can use an abrasive polish to remove some of the light scratches.

Congrats Ray... I'm still working on 1k :D

:iagree:

It's a high-gloss plastic, so you can use an abrasive polish to remove some of the light scratches.

Congrats Ray... I'm still working on 1k :D

You are doing pretty good. You did not join all that long ago. You will pass me soon.

Edit maybe not. Your daily post count is 8.5, mine is 9.45. But then I do not have a newborn bundle of joy monopolizing my time. :lolsmack::cheers:

Archived