Customer Service 866.965.0400

Anyone here like to run...

Tonymac

Barefoot?

I got into it a while back. And although, I can't run everywhere without some protection, I enjoy it when I can. I actually learned about the health benefits from it when I got injured down range. My commander authorized me to wear the Vibram 5 Finger shoes and it took off from there. I have only done about 8 miles at a time but I am hoping to run a marathon in my naked feet one day.

Anyone else?

Tony

THink there are a couple runners here, probably more than a couple.

My 46 year old, 20 years in the navy knees prefer brisk walks now.......LOL. I do about 5 to 6 km a night at around 5 kmh. Feels so good after and my knees don't argue the point much.

Getting close to hanging my running days up... my knees just can't take it anymore.

I've run distance (competitively and for pleasure) since I was in middle school... 4 years varsity x-country in HS... 2 years in the state finals... 3 years all state.

I still run at least 4 days a week an average of 6-8 miles each time, but the years of poundings on my already battered knees are starting to add up. I'm contemplating taking the leap into mountain bikes.

I will say as much damage as years of basketball and distance running have done on my legs the rest of me is in excellent shape as a result. Low body fat, high energy, and my lungs are up to most athletic challenges, so there is a huge upside.

Still have the dream of running a marathon one of these days... my dad did the first 10 consecutive LA Marthons, but if I decide to do one, I'm gonna need better scenery than Downtown Los Angeles.

Getting close to hanging my running days up... my knees just can't take it anymore.

I've run distance (competitively and for pleasure) since I was in middle school... 4 years varsity x-country in HS... 2 years in the state finals... 3 years all state.

I still run at least 4 days a week an average of 6-8 miles each time, but the years of poundings on my already battered knees are starting to add up. I'm contemplating taking the leap into mountain bikes.

I will say as much damage as years of basketball and distance running have done on my legs the rest of me is in excellent shape as a result. Low body fat, high energy, and my lungs are up to most athletic challenges, so there is a huge upside.

Still have the dream of running a marathon one of these days... my dad did the first 10 consecutive LA Marthons, but if I decide to do one, I'm gonna need better scenery than Downtown Los Angeles.

Not enough to Graffiti to keep you entertained?

If I'm running its because either something blew up or i'm being chased by a dang dung beetle. :lol: Seriously I hate these stupid beetles!

Med-A-ChristmasBeetle.jpg

I used to in my younger days. I've always been a big defensive lineman type guy but I did to track in high school. I mainly through shot put and discus but I did run 4x100 relays too. I always enjoyed a good run but then one time in football I got a chop block to the knee and all my sporting careers ended. Too many trips to knee doctors and 80 lbs later and I didn't run for almost 3 years. Now I enjoy a nice hike through the woods though. Maybe if I can shed some weight I could get back into running but it seems unlikely to happen because the knee problems are still haunting me.

You all are hilarious. Sorry to all of you with injuries. I have had my share. My ankle was the size of a grapefruit at one point.

To be honest, it is not easy to run here in El Paso. I used to run like a madman in Germany but I come here and I am panting like an overexerted cheetah (60 second intervals lol). Some say it is the polution, others say it is the elevation. I say it is both.

I think running if not for nothing else, clears the mind. Gives you personal time with yourself and helps you becaome healthy mentally.

Anyhoo, for those of you that like walking, go and get some minimalist shoes. They are really great. There is an adjustment period that your feet go through because of the atrophe that your feet probably have from wearing regular sneakers and all. After that, you will never want regular sneakers again.

Tony

I have seen quite a few people wearing those shoes over here in Afghanistan in the Gym. What is the deal with them. Why are they so great? I recently saw an email from my home base saying that we are no longer alowed to wear them in PT uniform because the powers that be say they are fadish.

Well, not to advertise a specific minimalist shoe, the science behind it is actually pretty simple. When you wear regular shoes that are designed to 1. give arch support. 2. help with stability. 3. help with pronation.... They stop your feet from actually doing it themselves. Thus making them rely on the shoe. What happens when the shoe fails? You fail. Why? Because your feet have lost their strength in many ways. Tendons, joints and muscles are all weaker because they rely on the sneaker to work for them. Go to any place that, by reason of culture or necessity, walk around barefoot and you will see a place with minimal foot/leg injury. America has the most expensive running shoes and has the most foot/ankle injuries. We are not designed to run with heel to toe motion.

Not only does your posture improve, you legs feet ankles and everything with interest to those areas get stonger, more stable and all around better. I was a tender foot before I started and now I can go across gravel with no issues.

The regulations do not mention anything about fadish. Read them AR 670-1 and FM 21-20. What they say are that the commander may authorize commercial running shoes. On the flip side, he may not authorize them. I went through my commander in my last unit and they were a go. This one on the other hand is very different as I work for the NCO Academy. My 1SG does not approve. It is all in the eye of the beholder. There are many different styles of minimalist running shoes. For example the Saucony Grid Type A4 Racing Flat or the Vivo Evo's are great minimalist shoes. You don't have to go extreme to go barefoot.

Not enough to Graffiti to keep you entertained?

If I'm running its because either something blew up or i'm being chased by a dang dung beetle. :lol: Seriously I hate these stupid beetles!

Med-A-ChristmasBeetle.jpg

You'd love our June bugs then Ryan... :willy:

The regulations do not mention anything about fadish. Read them AR 670-1 and FM 21-20. What they say are that the commander may authorize commercial running shoes. On the flip side, he may not authorize them. I went through my commander in my last unit and they were a go. This one on the other hand is very different as I work for the NCO Academy. My 1SG does not approve. It is all in the eye of the beholder. There are many different styles of minimalist running shoes. For example the Saucony Grid Type A4 Racing Flat or the Vivo Evo's are great minimalist shoes. You don't have to go extreme to go barefoot.

That may be true in the Army but I'm in the Air Force and AFI 36-2903 does talk about things being faddish. (hair styles, eye glasses, jewelry, and shoes) It says it's up to the base commander to determin what is faddish. So it's like you say it is all in the eye of the beholder. Thanks for answering my question and for the info. :2thumbs: I think I may check this kind of shoe out when I get home.

I'm a little intrigued by the minimalist shoe movement... I always competed in a set of hyperlite shoes that had almost no cushion and weighed next to nothing. I even went to the expense of having a custom set made when I was in the running for a CIF title... the shoes were literally like a poured rubber sole with my foot imprint on the inside, lashed to my foot with some thin nylon. They weighed almost nothing and were only about 1/8" thick on the sole.

My training has always been done in traditional running shoes (new balance).

That is exactly what i'm talking about. Next to nothing on your feet. It is truly the best way to run. Granted, some terrain it more arduos than others and I would always recommend in those cases to be shod but if your feet can handle the terrain, go naked!

While I don't run, I do have a pair of Nike Free's that I wear to the gym. They were designed to be a 'barefoot' shoe and are the most comfortable shoe I have. Fantastic for traveling in, but with no support, they are not comfortable for long driving trips.

I also have a pair of Free's and as much as I like them (more than any other "regular shoe"), I still think they have too much padding. Of course, not as much as typical shoes but not enough for me to use them alone.

Thanks for your posts everyone.

Tony

Archived