Customer Service 866.965.0400

I'm having problems!

jub jub

Question

• Answers 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I'm trying to remove scratches from my paint and I'm making a mess. This is the result after using the orange pad and swirl and haze remover with my orbital.

What am I doing wrong or is this the way it should look?

1_black_z_015.jpg

Hi John,

Thank you for joining us!!

My recommendation is to start with the orange pad and use a equally small amount of Fine Machine Polish and Swirl and Haze Remover (I use about 4 pea size squirts of each). Only do about a fender sized area at a time.

The technique is crucial in this situation. After you spread the product evenly, you want to turn the speed up to about 5,500 OPM's. At about two inches per second, move the PC vertically and then horizontally. I'm not a fan of a circular motion. You want to do straight lines up and down. Repeat, Repeat, Repeat until the polish breaks down.

Then after that, take the white pad with some FMP and give it a quick one over.

This process is a little time consuming but you will save your paint and as long as the car is kept in good shape, you won't have to repeat the process. Besides, it's therapeutic to polish.

I hope this helps and if you have more questions, please let me know. My direct number is below. I also have a sheet typed up with VERY specific instructions. I will be more than happy to email it to anyone who needs it!

Hi John,

Thank you for joining us!!

My recommendation is to start with the orange pad and use a equally small amount of Fine Machine Polish and Swirl and Haze Remover (I use about 4 pea size squirts of each). Only do about a fender sized area at a time.

The technique is crucial in this situation. After you spread the product evenly, you want to turn the speed up to about 5,500 OPM's. At about two inches per second, move the PC vertically and then horizontally. I'm not a fan of a circular motion. You want to do straight lines up and down. Repeat, Repeat, Repeat until the polish breaks down.

Then after that, take the white pad with some FMP and give it a quick one over.

This process is a little time consuming but you will save your paint and as long as the car is kept in good shape, you won't have to repeat the process. Besides, it's therapeutic to polish.

I hope this helps and if you have more questions, please let me know. My direct number is below. I also have a sheet typed up with VERY specific instructions. I will be more than happy to email it to anyone who needs it!

Thanks Ashley for the help. I think I have a good grasp of the technique, I just need to work it a little more for that perfect mirror finish.

I'm trying to remove scratches from my paint and I'm making a mess. This is the result after using the orange pad and swirl and haze remover with my orbital.

What am I doing wrong or is this the way it should look?

1_black_z_015.jpg

Hi John-

This is an easy one! Not enough pressure was used when using the Orange Swirl Killer pad, and the speed setting was too low.

Please try this:

1. Start with the Swirl & Haze Remover, and a mist of Detail Spray.
  2. Start at setting 5, apply 30+ lbs of pressure, and go SLOW.
  3. Move your PC to setting 6, and continue over the area.
  4. Leave the residue on, and then give the pad a spritz of Detail Spray and apply some Fine Machine Polish, still going very SLOW.
  5. Now, switch to the White Pad, remain at setting 6, and use the Fine Machine Polish again.
  6. Remove the Residue, and WALLA!!!

You should be looking flawless. Will you please post after photos after you do this?

Thanks!

Adam:thumbsup:

Edited by Adam

Hi John-

This is an easy one! Not enough pressure was used when using the Orange Swirl Killer pad, and the speed setting was too low.

Please try this:

1. Start with the Swirl & Haze Remover, and a mist of Detail Spray.
  2. Start at setting 5, apply 30+ lbs of pressure, and go SLOW.
  3. Move your PC to setting 6, and continue over the area.
  4. Leave the residue on, and then give the pad a spritz of Detail Spray and apply some Fine Machine Polish, still going very SLOW.
  5. Now, switch to the White Pad, remain at setting 6, and use the Fine Machine Polish again.
  6. Remove the Residue, and WALLA!!!

You should be looking flawless. Will you please post after photos after you do this?

Thanks!

Adam:thumbsup:

I posted some pics up above. It looks better for sure but I'm still not happy with it. If you get real close and at the right angle you can still see tiny scratches. I would like to see a mirror finish if I can.

I'll try the white pad and Fine Machine Polish again.

Question: How often do you wash the pads? I've been washing them after every use put a friend told me there is no need as long as you don't cross contaminate with different products.

Hi John, man, I'm not happy that you are not mirror yet! Let's try this:

• White Pad (clean is good)
  • 5K OPM's (setting 5)
  • 50% Swirl & Haze, 50% Fine Machine Polish.
  • Light mist of Detail Spray on the pad
  • Go VERY slow, and just concentrate on 12" square of the worst scratches.
  • Bump the machine to 6K OPM's
  • Apply some Fine Machine Polish, go over at 5K
  • Remove residue with Super Plush Towel
  • Look good? Go to the SuperWax.
  • Still more to go? Try this:
  • Swirl & Haze, 6K OPM's, white pad (no need to clean the pad)
  • Fine Machine, 6K, White, then remove residue.

Report back with results John, and keep my cell handy to ring me before, during, or after you try this method: 303-718-9480.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Edited by Adam

I'm still not sure I'd put a machine to my black. Maybe at Carlisle, someone can convince me. I'm so picky, I wouldn't be able to live with swirls like that.

You keep that car looking like that by hand !!!!!!!!

You must have better rotorcuffs than me :lolsmack:

:help:Hi Adam , How many times could you go through these steps before you might damage the clearcoat on a new car ? Chris

Hi Chris, using the orbital, you would have to polish non-stop, 24 hours/ day, for a few weeks before you would start thinning out your clear coat.

That's the good news, and bad! Bad? Well, correcting serious surface imperfections will require sand paper and /or a rotary buffer.

Using a D/A Polisher doesn't build up heat, and cut the finish very fast. Hence, going over again to correct it is sometimes needed.

Using a high speed buffer will do the trick in half the time, but it's very easy to damage and/or burn the clear with one.

Hope this explains it. The Dual Action Polisher just doesn't do the cutting, so the damage potential is EXTREMELY low.

:thumbsup:

Hi John, man, I'm not happy that you are not mirror yet! Let's try this:

• White Pad (clean is good)
  • 5K OPM's (setting 5)
  • 50% Swirl & Haze, 50% Fine Machine Polish.
  • Light mist of Detail Spray on the pad
  • Go VERY slow, and just concentrate on 12" square of the worst scratches.
  • Bump the machine to 6K OPM's
  • Apply some Fine Machine Polish, go over at 5K
  • Remove residue with Super Plush Towel
  • Look good? Go to the SuperWax.
  • Still more to go? Try this:
  • Swirl & Haze, 6K OPM's, white pad (no need to clean the pad)
  • Fine Machine, 6K, White, then remove residue.

Report back with results John, and keep my cell handy to ring me before, during, or after you try this method: 303-718-9480.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Thanks Adam! You da man when it comes to customer service! :2thumbs:

I am frustrated... I purchased the Gen 2 system and finally had a good day to work on my Vette... I tried everything that was recommended in this posting to get the marks out of my black paint and it actually looks worse :mad:. After battling this problem for over a year, my hats off to those who can get this to work :bow:. I have tried using the orange pad with swirl and haze remover and worked to the white pad. I tried just the white pad and the polishes. I tried less polish and higher OPMs as well. I worked very slow with pressure until polish broke down and no success. Open to suggestions at this point.