Customer Service 866.965.0400

Some Oakley sunglasses made in CHINA

2012CC6.2

You read right, i was in the oakley store this past weekend when i noticed. I picked up a pair of "Aviatior" type sunglesses to try on and boom, right on the right side it says CHINA. That really aggrevated me because the only reason i buy OAKLEYS is because they are made in the good ol' US of A. I will point out that all of their plastic type sunglasses still say Made in USA, but every metal frame i saw was made in CHINA.

This started happening when they were bought by the people who own Ray Ban. This was a few years back. Now, according to some sites, the country of origin will be on the box and no longer, starting in 2013, will the glasses themselves have Made in The USA on them. Sad to me, I have a LOT of Oakley Sunglasses.

I bought 4 pairs during my year of working abroad in Turkey last year (no, not for the military; I get that question almost 100% following that statement, lol.  I have a membership with USStandardIssue.com which is Oakley's direct to government purchasing program and I like so many I felt I should take advantage of the 50% discount.  Went a little overboard!  I'm about to look at my stock to see where mine were made.  Finding this thread was disconcerting.  Ignorance was bliss evidently.

As a huge Oakley guy myself I'm pretty bummed with the company as well... Their uber expensive line (metal) is made in china.. odd because they are more expensive than the plastic made in the USA models.  I've worn oakley sunglasses since I was 15, I'm now 31 and have probably around 8 pairs - minus the countless pairs I've thrown away because they broke and were out of date.   I still like Oakley design much more than other manufacturers' but I think the next pair of glasses I get will be from http://www.gatorz.com/ - the last USA manufactured sunglasses I can find. I may be able to live with Spy's as far as I can tell they are still made in Italy.  

Take a look at Maui Jims.  I have three Pairs of them and are the highest quality polarized sunglasses I own.  They used a 7 layer polarization method... I think they've upgraded to an 8 or nine layer now... btw, they are manufactured in Hawaii last I checked.  They are expensive, but worth each and every penny.  Glass lenses, spring loaded hinges, scratch proof due to glass lenses, but offer polycarbonate lenses in the sport line for active wearers.  Check them out, you wont be disappointed.

I'm pretty sure the bulk of Oakley hasn't been made in the US since they were bought out. The last 3 or 4 pairs I've bought were made in Italy (as most quality sunglasses seem to be anymore). Not surprised they've moved to China for some models though... it seems to be the pattern for companies that get that big. 

I believe the pair I've had since I was 15 or 16 were made in the US.  I would like to get a new pair of sunglasses, but these have lasted me so long and will continue to last me for awhile as long as they don't get damaged.

Luxottica (who also own the rights to Ray Ban, Persol, Sunglass Hut among others) purchased Oakley in 2007. All lenses and O Matter (polycarbonite) frames are of U.S. origin/manufacture as were the since discontinued X Metal titanium frames. Currently, all wire and acetate frame models are of Chinese origin/manufacture (hence the stamp). The chinese frames are shipped to the Foothill Ranch facility in CA. for assembly. Rumor has it that sonn the lenses will ship to the far east for end product assembly.   

Ugh, really disappointed here.  I have been a huge Oakley fan since my first pair of M-Frames I bought when I was 12.  I am more of a fan of the plastic framed ones anyways, but had a old pair of Half Wires that finally gave out just recently that I had for years.  Those things took a beating.  I will definitely be looking at them more carefully from now on.  

This is pretty depressing. I just started looking into getting a new set of glasses and was looking at a set of Flak Jacket XLJs with polarized lenses. I guess I need to check the frames before I get my hopes up. I've had a dozen pairs of Oakleys over the years and none of them ever let me down.

It is, I used to love going to 1 Icon drive in foothill ranch to visit headquarters and take my sunglasses in for warranty work.  If your frames were out of date and needed repair they would upgrade you to the newest model for $40.  I have oakley shoes, sandals, watches, ect ect.  I still love their stuff, but I'll be very choosy as to what I'm buying from them.

Yeah just check it before you buy like everything else.  When it comes down to it, we all have let China win just a little bit in our daily lives with cell phones, mp3 players, etc.  It's just a matter of how much we let them win everyday that makes a difference.

Mook

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but here is the response I received to my email requesting if the Flak Jackets were made in America. Sad.

Thank you for contacting us. All Oakley eyewear is designed and engineered in the U.S., however, some eyewear components and products are also manufactured in Luxottica owned facilities or at supply partner locations around the globe. We are unable to determine the production origin of the Flak Jackets

Edited by 02Xtreme07ss

That's kind of a BS answer 'unable to determine.'  They know exactly where the manufacturing plants are and what components come out of them.  My Judge II watch was made in switzerland, thank god I didn't buy a $800 chinese watch. 

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but here is the response I received to my email requesting if the Flak Jackets were made in America. Sad.

The last pair of Flak Jackets I saw in our lab this past week said Made In USA. Of course I have no idea the age of the frame but a quick trip to Lenswackers, Pearle or Sunglass Hut which are owned by Luxottica should answer your question. I am willing to bet any of those three would have Oakley in stock.

That's kind of a BS answer 'unable to determine.'  They know exactly where the manufacturing plants are and what components come out of them.  My Judge II watch was made in switzerland, thank god I didn't buy a $800 chinese watch. 

My thoughts exactly. If they really wanted to answer the question, they could. The fact that they won't just pushes me away. I'm glad your watch ended up being made in Switzerland.

The last pair of Flak Jackets I saw in our lab this past week said Made In USA. Of course I have no idea the age of the frame but a quick trip to Lenswackers, Pearle or Sunglass Hut which are owned by Luxottica should answer your question. I am willing to bet any of those three would have Oakley in stock.

Thanks for the confirmation and suggestion. I will stop in at the local Sunglass Hut and physically look at the frames to verify where they are made (I'll purchase them there too if they say USA). All of my prior Oakley say 'Made in the USA' on the frames. If these don't, they can keep them.

• 1 year later...