Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to keep wheels protected?

chops1sc

Question

I'm curious about how everyone keeps their wheels waxed, sealed, etc. while cleaning the tires with APC or the new tire cleaner. I know part of the key is controlling overspray, but what about the dripping soap during & after scrubbing? I can't see rinsing being a major issue since you are flooding it with water. Any thoughts or suggestions?

21 answers to this question

Similar answer.  I keep the tires sealed up with TS, and then just clean them with Car Wash Shampoo, so I don't strip the sealant off of the wheels with APC.

If they get really muddy, then the tires get a deep clean, then I re-seal the wheels.  When I rotate the wheels twice a year, the tires get deep cleaned, and then the wheels get sealed front and back.

Get the wheels wet with water to start.  It ill dilute the product even more as it touches the water.  I have my wheels coated with a glass coating so all I use are soap and water to clean the wheels.  I am also not to worried about a tire cleaner getting on them since a coating is more durable and chemical resistant to a sealant. 

I'm talking about the tire cleaner though. It's going to bleed down onto the wheel.

Shouldn't need to use tire cleaner that often. Only when dust gets really bad. If the wheels are sealed, and you use the correct technique to keep them clean, you won't have to use the TC but maybe twice a year. Which is about how often you need to re-seal the wheels.

I use a light mist of wheel cleaner and the lug nut brush to clean my rims. If I need more product, I just spray a little more on and go from there. I've had great results and nothing on the tire itself. Having said that, that method is being used with the older more liquid wheel cleaner. As of this Wednesday, I'll have the new stuff and I'm going to see how the newer thicker formula is going to help out!!

I'm not gentle on wheels at all. I seal them in the winter when I swap my winter setup in. I seal them again in the Spring when I pull them out. Then I wax them once for the summer. That's it.

Wash with shampoo, use Wheel cleaner as needed. Since I switched from the OEM pads to StopTech ceramics, my wheels look clean for weeks. Stark contrast to the OEM pads, which were FILTHY after 5 minutes of driving.

Thanks for all the input guys! I have been wanting to change up my wheel regimine for a while now. I feel like it is slowing me down. I always clean the wheels and tires (and wheel wells and running boards lol) first and it seems to take forever. If I get into the habit of just cleaning the tires and save the wheels for the wash I can probably shave some time off. My wheels dont get any brake dust (at least not the black kind) so I really dont need to clean them everytime.

I've been using H2O G&G lately to seal my wheels.  It's pretty easy to apply.  Spray it on, use a wet microfiber to wipe it and then buff it with a clean, dry microfiber.  It makes it really easy to get everywhere on the wheel and it's easy to reapply and keep up with.

The wheels on my Camaro get covered with brake dust almost instantly when driving, so keeping my wheels clean is a chore.  I use Quick Sealant on my wheels to keep them protected, spraying it on the entire wheel (front, back, and inside of the barrel).  I do this once in the spring when the summer wheel/tire combo goes on the car, and once in the fall when the winter wheel/tire combo is put on.  Both sets of wheels get the application each time.  Then I simply maintain the wheels with Car Shampoo at every wash (use the red wheel brush on the face of the wheel and the wheel woolie on the barrel).  Keeping the wheels sealed allows me to skip using the Wheel Cleaner on a regular basis.  I only use the Wheel Cleaner when it's time to seal the wheels, so that I know I've stripped the wheels completely.

I haven't noticed my tire cleaning regimen to significantly affect the sealant on the wheels, even when using APC or the new Tire and Rubber Cleaner.  If it looks like the sealant is starting to wear down, I can always hit it again with the Quick Sealant since it's so easy to use.  Thankfully I stocked up on the Quick Sealant when it was discontinued, so I've got a nice stash to keep me going until Adams releases a new replacement (fingers crossed!!!!).

Ditto, and top with guard & gloss. Same regimen as the rest of the paint on my car.

Forgive me, I'm new here, but does LPS mean Liquid Paint Sealant? I checked the acronym list at http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/4903-adams-acronymsabbreviations/ but didn't see it. I'd like to protect my wheels for the winter and found this thread. I have both the paint sealant, if that's what this means, and the the H2O guard and gloss, so I should be all set, if so. Thanks in advance!

Forgive me, I'm new here, but does LPS mean Liquid Paint Sealant? I checked the acronym list at http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/4903-adams-acronymsabbreviations/ but didn't see it. I'd like to protect my wheels for the winter and found this thread. I have both the paint sealant, if that's what this means, and the the H2O guard and gloss, so I should be all set, if so. Thanks in advance!

Yes, "LPS" means liquid paint sealant.

You should be all set for winter with that or HGG