Customer Service 866.965.0400

Foam Cannon - What am I Doing Wrong?

AK47

Question

Hey all.. I am new to Adam's Polishes.  I stumbled across these products on Instagram and made my first order during the labor day sale.  I picked up the daily driver kit and the foam cannon.  I have used the foam cannon twice now and I cannot get it to foam.  I have watched the videos, and mine is not even close to what other people are getting.  

After the first go around, I blamed it on user error.  I had the top dial turned all the way to the left (positive side).. I thought that it meant more foam lol.  After talking with customer service they told me to turn it the opposite way and give it a try.  I followed their instructions and I still did not get any foam.  Just looks like I used a foam gun instead.  I also used considerably more soap this time than last.  (used at least 4oz)

I really hate to send it back.. because I really want to use it and for it to work.  I am still not ruling out user error, but if anyone could give me some feedback that would be much appreciated.  I have considered picking up a new pressure washer.. but the specs on mine currently are right within the "optimal" range.  It is a Dewalt DPW3835.  3800 PSI, 3.5GPM.  

Pictures are around 1 minute after I used all of the contents of the foam cannon.

post-14909-0-10175600-1474742502_thumb.jpg

post-14909-0-36914900-1474742506_thumb.jpg

post-14909-0-75720000-1474742509_thumb.jpg

19 answers to this question

The pickup tube that goes down in the bottle isn't damaged or kinked is it? A cannon is fairly simple, it works on the venturi effect, so if its sucking air before getting the soap mix it will be thin.

Edited by blcksilv08

As everyone else mentioned including yourself, this definitely looks like it is coming out of the foam gun.  I think that if you are using 4 ounces of car shampoo you should definitely be seeing more foam than that.  Your pressure washer doesn't seem to be the issue either as it is more powerful than mine which is a 2.5 gpm/3100 psi riyobi.  I am going to have to side with Eric and ask if the tube is either not inserted all the way (my foam cannon didn't come internally assembled) or if there is something wrong with the spray head perhaps.  Either way if you can't figure it out I would return it and get a new one from the Adam's crew and give it a shot before you completely give up on it. 

Pictures are around 1 minute after I used all of the contents of the foam cannon.

Since the bottle is emptying, then the pick-up tube must be installed.

How are you measuring the amount of shampoo?

Are you shaking the bottle really well to mix the shampoo into the water?

Did you notice any difference when the knob is turned all the way to plus and then all the way to minus?

Are you adjusting the front nozzle to get a medium-wide spray pattern?

Is there a pressure adjustment on your pressure washer?

Can you post a pic of the foam cannon in use?

20160924_113819.jpg

- long squirts of the 16oz bottle. Usually 3-4 squirts. Ill get a measuring cup for next time.

- the first time I used it, I shook it really well. Per CS from Adams it only takes 2 or 3 turns just to mix the soap around.

Did you notice any difference when the knob is turned all the way to plus and then all the way to minus?

- no, it was the same as my first go around.

- yes. I have it on a medium wide like most videos

- there is an RPM lever, should i have it on full speed or more towards the low end?

Can you post a pic of the foam cannon in use?

- I will see if I can wash my gf's moms car and grab a picture then.

Can you post a pic of the foam cannon in use?

20160924_113819.jpg

You're suppose to shake the cannon after you add the soap to the water??

- no, it was the same as my first go around.

Something is not right. Any chance the air bleed is blocked?

- there is an RPM lever, should i have it on full speed or more towards the low end?

Use  Wide Open Throttle.

Long shot: Your pressure washer model is rated for a fair amount of flow...make sure your water supply (garden hose and all) is delivering the necessary amount of water. (A simple flow test is to disconnect supply hose from pressure washer and time how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket.)

Measured out 4oz.. you are right it is more soap than I thought.  Also, I had to turn the RPM's on my pressure washer all the way down before it put out foam.  Much MUCH better this go around.  The foam stayed on the car for around 5 minutes.  All is well!

EDIT:  If I put the foam on the car without pre-rinsing.. will it stay on longer?  or did it run off faster because I was in the direct sunlight?

post-14909-0-03456600-1474824165_thumb.jpg

post-14909-0-69968500-1474824168_thumb.jpg

post-14909-0-39661200-1474824173_thumb.jpg

post-14909-0-48374100-1474824177_thumb.jpg

post-14909-0-57669300-1474824180_thumb.jpg

Edited by AK47

You're suppose to shake the cannon after you add the soap to the water??

Yes, shake it really good to mix the shampoo into the water.  I will fill the bottle with water to the top of the label, then add 4oz of shampoo, then I put my thumb over the inlet connection and a finger over the air hole, and shake really well.

Measured out 4oz.. you are right it is more soap than I thought.  Also, I had to turn the RPM's on my pressure washer all the way down before it put out foam.  Much MUCH better this go around.  The foam stayed on the car for around 5 minutes.  All is well!

EDIT:  If I put the foam on the car without pre-rinsing.. will it stay on longer?  or did it run off faster because I was in the direct sunlight?

Nice improvement!

While the foam might hang longer if you do not rinse first, since the dirty surface will give the foam something to cling to, this is not recommended.  A good pre-rinse is key to a safe wash, since you are getting as much dirt off the paint as possible before you touch it.

Give the whole car a quick foam to start, then go back and re-foam areas as you wash with the pad or wedge.  That way, you have suds on to prevent spots, and then add more suds as you wash to have maximum lubrication.

Five minutes is about all you will get with the foam on paint that is protected with wax or sealant.  Those videos where the foam hangs for along time are most likely on unprotected paint.

Check out this post that shows how the foam looked on my truck after 4 minutes:

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27009-adamized-the-raptor/page-6?do=findComment&comment=438409

Glad it is working better for you.

You may want to try one other thing...crank the pressure washer to Wide Open Throttle, use a wider spray adjustment on the cannon, pull the trigger for a longer duration (foam an entire side, not just a panel per trigger pull) and stand a fair amount farther back from the vehicle while foaming.

another thing people should also do is, after they are done using the cannon, take off the bottle and just let the pressure washer run through the cannon to clean out the filter screen for a few good minutes. anyone with hard water be aware that thes filter screens do clog and then performance goes way down. not rinsing out the cannon even after 1st use can clog the filter 

When using the foam gun or cannon....is this supposed to eliminate haVing to wipe the car down with a mit? Or does this just soften up the dirt? Sorry for the ignorant question but I'm new to all this.

It doesn't eliminate the need to wash with a mitt. It does allow the suds to cling to the vehicle working to loosen dirt so that it's not so difficult to remove. The amount of suds you get with a cannon will always be way more than out of a bucket.