Customer Service 866.965.0400

Just cleaned/sealed my windshield, now my wipers chatter. Help!

AdamEL

Question

I have a brand new, 2017 Silverado, and I noticed right away that all the glass had some contamination from the transport truck, which isn't abnormal. So, this weekend, I finally had some time to go out and take care of it. I used a Mother's clay bar [i was out of my Adam's bar] with my Adam's glass cleaner, and got all the funk off. Then, I sealed the window with my Adam's glass sealant, and then finished the job with the Adam's glass cleaner, again. I used the appropriate Adam's applicator pad and window cleaning towel for the job. I've done this job quite a few times on my own vehicles, and for a couple of friends and have never had a problem. But today on my way to work, it was raining, so I had to use my wipers. They started chattering like crazy! They were not doing that before I cleaned and treated my windshield, so I have no idea what I could have done wrong. Again, I'm not a total noob at this job, as I've done it several times with great success. Does anybody have any tips on something I can try to get the chatter to go away? As I mentioned earlier, the truck is brand new, only 800 miles on it now, so the wipers don't need to be replaced or anything like that.

Thanks for the help! You guys always have the right answers... 

Edited by AdamEL

One of the issues I had once was not allowing the sealant to haze (cure) very long before I cleaned it off. This led to a very sticky windshield and some skipping of the wipers. I ended up having to clay again and reapply, and now it's smooth as butter.

Just an idea.

Also, perhaps think about throwing some Glass Boost on top of your sealant. That stuff is SUPER smooth.

Edited by Mariner

One of the issues I had once was not allowing the sealant to haze (cure) very long before I cleaned it off. This led to a very sticky windshield and some skipping of the wipers. I ended up having to clay again and reapply, and now it's smooth as butter.

Just an idea.

Also, perhaps think about throwing some Glass Boost on top of your sealant. That stuff is SUPER smooth.

Thanks for the reply! I let it sit the average amount. I was under the impression that it didn't have a curing time, though(?). I might have to do exactly what you said if nobody else has any ideas. Thank you again for the input.

Thanks for the reply! I let it sit the average amount. I was under the impression that it didn't have a curing time, though(?). I might have to do exactly what you said if nobody else has any ideas. Thank you again for the input.

No cure time is required.

I don't know what you did wrong but make sure you apply the sealant left to right AND down to up so you cover the whole windshield. It's weird maybe your wipers are just bad from the factory?

Like above if you want to try glass boost that might help.

I usually have trouble applying it in the sun, maybe try the shade?

Edited by Nathan

I don't know what you did wrong but make sure you apply the sealant left to right AND down to up so you cover the whole windshield. It's weird maybe your wipers are just bad from the factory?

Like above if you want to try glass boost that might help.

I usually have trouble applying it in the sun, maybe try the shade?

I definitely applied it correctly, just as I have in the past. The only different variable was the Mother's clay bar, but I can't see that being an issue.

There is a sort of cure time, you're supposed to let it get a little hazy. 

If you've used it before with no issues then the problem is probably elsewhere. Use a utility towel and glass cleaner to clean the wiper blades. Spray the glass cleaner on the towel and then go back and forth over the wipers rubber.

Wipers chatter for mainly 2 reasons, old/dirty wipers or dry windshield.

Edited by Kingsford

I disagree. I applied on a humid, rainy day in Florida, and the hazing is an indication of "curing". Mine did not haze completely due to the high humidity, therefore did not cure.

There is no written cure time because for most, it hazes instantly. Depending on your circumstance, that may not be the case.

Let the Glass Sealant cure. The denatured alcohol (I believe is the solvent) in it needs to fully dissipate. I wait about three minutes before buffing off.

Clean the blades of your wipers. Use Windshield Washer fluid on a paper towel and wipe them until no black comes off. Replace the wipers if necessary.

Definitely needs to cure. I have had the same issue with another brand and I had to redo the whole thing. When I got Adam's glass sealant I made sure to let it sit for about 30 minutes. Worked great! I haven't tried the new boost yet, but it is in my wish list.

Let the Glass Sealant cure. The denatured alcohol (I believe is the solvent) in it needs to fully dissipate. I wait about three minutes before buffing off.

Clean the blades of your wipers. Use Windshield Washer fluid on a paper towel and wipe them until no black comes off. Replace the wipers if necessary.

So just to clarify, I need to seal the glass again today? Clay bar, or no clay bar this time?

Try just cleaning your wipers first.

If it was me, I'd just wait 200 miles of wet weather driving, or a couple/few washes to make sure it's off, then reapply to clean glass.

Try just cleaning your wipers first.

If it was me, I'd just wait 200 miles of wet weather driving, or a couple/few washes to make sure it's off, then reapply to clean glass.

Okay, I'll give that a shot. Thank you, and everybody else for the help!

make sure the rubber part of the wiper doesn't have a bent over look. If it does, that's the reason they chatter. Because the windshield was dirty the rubber was forced to bend correctly and now that the windshield is smooth it chatters.

Why in the videos does Adam not wait for it to cure?

Update: I went home between my two jobs to wash the windshield (with Adam's Car Shampoo) and to clean the blades with wiper fluid. At first, it seemed like that solved it, but as I drove to work in the rain, it didn't seem to help at all. They're still chattering. But here's the strange part - If I run the wipers with the truck's wiper fluid, there's no chatter whatsoever. And there's very little chatter if I keep the intermittent setting set to super slow, because the windshield is completely covered in rain at that point. So should I get new wipers? I don't understand any of this, because the wipers worked before I cleaned and sealed the windshield, when it was covered in obvious contamination. And for what it's worth, it definitely looks noticeably cleaner and clearer, now. I've got to do something because the chatter is driving me freakin' bonkers. Thanks for the help, guys.

Ditto, but with an ammonia based product.

I cleaned them really thoroughly today with the wiper fluid. I really don't think that the wipers being dirty are the root of the problem, at this point. 

Get those garbage OEM wipers off of your truck. I have a 16 Silverado had the dealer change blades 3 times, was ready to have new wiper arms put on, switched to Bosch icons and now have ZERO issues.

I'm thinking this is the way to go. However, when shopping the Bosch site, it only shows the OE Specialty Aero Twin as the direct fit for my truck. Do you think the '16 and '17 are actually different in that respect? 

My GF's '17 explorer had the same issue with chattering wipers after glass sealant and glass boost application. New Bosch icons solved the issue. Factory blades sucked anyway.

It's worth a shot. I'll try to grab some tomorrow evening and see what happens.