Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best wax for winter

BlackScat392

Question

I haven’t posted in a while but my question is for winter upkeep. This is my work vehicle and not person Scat Pack so I have no desire to ceramic coat it. It’s a 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee, silver in color. It’s pretty new and gets driven between 500 - 1200 miles per week. I used buttery wax on the car in the warm Atlanta weather, so I’m looking for the best wax for the winter. I would say we see winter temps from 30-70 with no rhyme or reason here. Thanks in advance For the help!

17 answers to this question

Hard to think about winter in July, almost August 😵 😉😁 But I'd recommend H2O Guard and Gloss. Easy to apply, super gloss, and can be applied about once a month or every 3-4 washes for extended protection. It also works incredibly well on light colors like silver and white. Spray Wax would also be an easy to use product on the same frequency.

Check this out, too:

20 minutes ago, Norton said:

Ceramic offers the best protection and longevity.  If you're really against that, @falcaineer suggests some other viable options.  In my experience, however, Paint Sealant provides good protection and longevity that minimize the need to reapply throughout winter months.

Agreed with Paint Sealant as a great option for your base layer. My approach was to offer an easy(ier) to apply protective layer. 

The good thing about being in the southeast, other than 12 months a year of golf, is that when winter hits it is usually gone in three days.  The flip side is that we get 10 to 15 winters a year between November and February.

1 hour ago, RayS said:

The good thing about being in the southeast, other than 12 months a year of golf, is that when winter hits it is usually gone in three days.  The flip side is that we get 10 to 15 winters a year between November and February.

We need to go play of we ever meet up, Ray! I'll recommend the course so Mary comes, too 😁 

4 hours ago, Chris@Adams said:

Why not use either our Ceramic Spray Coating or our new Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating?

It's easier to apply and it will out last any wax many times over.

https://adamspolishes.com/collections/ceramics-graphene-graphene-ceramic-spray-coating™

I guess my response didn’t post. I think I will give this a shot, since ceramic seems to be everyone’s choice. I’ve not done ceramic myself, as I had the dealership coat my Scat Pack when I bought it. I know this isn’t the same as a legitimate correction and ceramic coat but do I need to use something like my buttery wax prior to using this spray? Or will this spray be ok since the car is only 4 months old and the paint isn’t blemished? 

4 hours ago, BlackScat392 said:

I guess my response didn’t post. I think I will give this a shot, since ceramic seems to be everyone’s choice. I’ve not done ceramic myself, as I had the dealership coat my Scat Pack when I bought it. I know this isn’t the same as a legitimate correction and ceramic coat but do I need to use something like my buttery wax prior to using this spray? Or will this spray be ok since the car is only 4 months old and the paint isn’t blemished? 

The Ceramic Spray Coating?  You need to prep your paint first.  Clay, wash, polish, and then wipe down with the prep before applying the Ceramic Spray.  You don't absolutely have to clay, but you do need to do the other steps.  You want to have perfect paint, or as close as you can get before applying.  Takes a while for the whole process, but worth it.  And no, no buttery wax beforehand.  Just the steps I mentioned. 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

The Ceramic Spray Coating?  You need to prep your paint first.  Clay, wash, polish, and then wipe down with the prep before applying the Ceramic Spray.  You don't absolutely have to clay, but you do need to do the other steps.  You want to have perfect paint, or as close as you can get before applying.  Takes a while for the whole process, but worth it.  And no, no buttery wax beforehand.  Just the steps I mentioned. 

So I should wash, use Adams Hand Polish, spray prep then the ceramic spray?

20 minutes ago, BlackScat392 said:

So I should wash, use Adams Hand Polish, spray prep then the ceramic spray?

You can do that but, for best results, you should wash, clay, machine polish, wipe down, and then coat.  

Whether you wax, seal, or coat, surface prep is everything.  You'll never get the best result with hand polish.

22 hours ago, Rich said:

If you don't have a machine, hand polish will be just fine.  

With all due respect, I disagree. So does Adam's Facebook account where they posted "Preparation is key when applying Graphene Ceramic Coating™. With the proper steps to prep your surface you can get 7+ years of protection..." earlier this evening.

I guarantee "proper steps to prep your surface" don't include hand polish.

3 hours ago, Norton said:

With all due respect, I disagree. So does Adam's Facebook account where they posted "Preparation is key when applying Graphene Ceramic Coating™. With the proper steps to prep your surface you can get 7+ years of protection..." earlier this evening.

I guarantee "proper steps to prep your surface" don't include hand polish.

Well that's a shame for those who don't have machines then.  Not everyone does.  That should be addressed by Adam's because those people will look at other company's products for something they CAN use.   So what you're saying basically is if you can't machine polish your car don't buy the Graphene or Ceramic coating?  That's a bitter pill to swallow for some guys who want the best stuff for their rides.

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

Well that's a shame for those who don't have machines then.  Not everyone does.  That should be addressed by Adam's because those people will look at other company's products for something they CAN use.   So what you're saying basically is if you can't machine polish your car don't buy the Graphene or Ceramic coating?  That's a bitter pill to swallow for some guys who want the best stuff for their rides.

Neither I nor Adam's said you CAN'T use their coatings without machine polishing.  It is, however, axiomatic that the appearance and longevity of a coating are directly related to the quality of preparation. Hand polishing will never match what's possible with machine. If I'm going to spend the time and money to install a multi-year coating, I want the BEST possible paint condition sealed-in underneath it.  That means a (multi-stage) machine polish.

What I said was...

On 8/1/2020 at 4:40 PM, Norton said:

...for best results, you should wash, clay, machine polish, wipe down, and then coat.  

Whether you wax, seal, or coat, surface prep is everything.  You'll never get the best result with hand polish.

I stand by my comments.