Customer Service 866.965.0400

Does gas....

DanFish

Question

Hey Guys,

Well, I got gas Today and while pulling the nozzle out of the tank I managed to get a drop of gas on the paint. Now this made me think, does the gas eat through the layer of MSW I just recently laid? I figured it most likely does, so I'm re-applying to that section of the car as I type.

What do you guys think? Thanks! :thumbsup:

Raymond my friend, You're lucky he didn't spray you with gas and light you up! Oops, sorry Buddy... :help:

I too, have been puzzled by the ridiculous laws. I'm old enough to remember (having had my very own for 10 years) real service stations where real people came out to wait on you and DID actually care about your car, or at least my guys did, because we had a detail shop that was really busy... people knew that,and we stayed extremely busy through those dark days of the 70's (sorry Youngsters!). If only Adam's was around back then!

I go down to Atlantic City once or twice a semester and I always get out of the car and watch the gas guy like a hawk when I need to get gas in NJ. They hate me.

Yea I did this last year and this guy tried to clean my windshield, etc. I just stood there with a MF towel and some spray...I knew without a doubt that he would get gas on my truck. Sure enough ...I had to clean my quarter panel.

It was tourist season too and I refused to hurry up and get out of the way until she was as clean as possible..

:lol:

CAN'T PUMP YOUR OWN GAS!!!!! :willy: I am the only one that drives my truck, washes it, waxes it, puts gas in it.... no one touches it except me. I yelled at my girlfriend for taking wax off of it when I went to get something to drink.

When it needs a oil change or tune up I bring it to my buddies shop or his dad shop which is nicely placed next door. :D

This is news to me... and I've now marked NJ and Oregon off my list of places to visit.

And to think I was so close to going to U of O after highschool... I would've had to drop out b/c I wouldn't let others pump my gas. LOL

It makes for quick turnaround times when you're in a hurry and gotta pee :lol:

I believe Oregon's law was enacted because of someone blowing themselves up or something. You can pump your own diesel, which is nice.

They got rid of that here during the fuel shortages. They were able to reduce the price because they didn't need the person to come out and do all the work.

I DO remember full service though.

My fuel door opens by pushing on it. I always use my index finger knuckle so to put less of a mark or area to scratch the door. I can only imagine what they'd do. Probably use their shoe!

Note to self... Do NOT go to Jersey or Oregon.

Chris

They got rid of that here during the fuel shortages. They were able to reduce the price because they didn't need the person to come out and do all the work.

I DO remember full service though.

My fuel door opens by pushing on it. I always use my index finger knuckle so to put less of a mark or area to scratch the door. I can only imagine what they'd do. Probably use their shoe!

Note to self... Do NOT go to Jersey or Oregon.

Chris

That's another one. I may not be able to pump it but I sure as heck can open the door and remove the cap. I do not let them open the door, remove the cap or put it back on. Last time I even told the guy how to pump gas without dripping on my paint. He was not to happy. He made a comment about me telling him how to do his job to which I responded dude you pump gas. You do not really have that much going for you, and how would your boss like it if I complained that you are vandalizing my car, because that is how I look at it if you drip gas on it. In Hindsight I was a little mean but I had just sat in Philly traffic for four hours and was a little short fused.

I found this on Yahoo.

"New Jersey passed the law making it illegal to pump your own gas in 1949. At the time, legislators felt it was too dangerous to have untrained people dispensing such a flammable liquid"

This is true. I spent years as a night gas station manager in NJ during college. If you pump your own in NJ, both the station and the individual pumping their own gas face fines if caught.

I found this on Yahoo.

"New Jersey passed the law making it illegal to pump your own gas in 1949. At the time, legislators felt it was too dangerous to have untrained people dispensing such a flammable liquid"

Not sure what the reason is in Oregon.

Raymond my friend, You're lucky he didn't spray you with gas and light you up! Oops, sorry Buddy... :help:

He really looked like he was going to. I was probably a little more rude the I needed to be but on that occasion it took me over 6 hours to get from etown down to my buddies house in AC and the G8 was still brand spanking new.

I go to one gas station only, and they pump the gas for me. I think they know me by now, and they are careful for the most part. One time the guy was a little rough on the G8 and I barked at him. I guess it's just my OCD, but I go to the same exact pump and always fill my cars when they go to half empty and there has only been one occasion that I can recall that the vette got gas from another station, but I don't think the Pontiac has ever been gassed at any other place.

I have always assumed gas strips wax. A good trick is to lift the nozzle out until it is almost all the way out then rotate the nozzle so the part where the gas comes out is pointed towards the sky then you will not have drips on the paint. It will drip back into the gun. People always give me a funny look when I am rotating in order to avoid drips.

i do this everytime :2thumbs:

I have always assumed gas strips wax. A good trick is to lift the nozzle out until it is almost all the way out then rotate the nozzle so the part where the gas comes out is pointed towards the sky then you will not have drips on the paint. It will drip back into the gun. People always give me a funny look when I am rotating in order to avoid drips.

Tried this technique today, worked like a charm! :thumbsup: Now, do you have any tips on lowering gas prices? Paid $3.11/gal today. :willy:

Good question. I always assumed that it does, and I always re-wax an area if I get gas on it while re-fueling.

You should have seen me the first time I filled up my diesel and it overflowed on the car. I nearly had a stroke, then went home and washed the rear quarter of the car at 10PM on an a very cold November night. And of course, as luck would have it, the neighbors pulled in just as I was at it... They just rolled their eyes and went into their house. :lolsmack:

Hey Guys,

Well, I got gas Today and while pulling the nozzle out of the tank I managed to get a drop of gas on the paint. Now this made me think, does the gas eat through the layer of MSW I just recently laid? I figured it most likely does, so I'm re-applying to that section of the car as I type.

What do you guys think? Thanks! :thumbsup:

I would think so, as it is pretty strong as a cleaner. I would recommend reapplying the LSP after putting anything stronger than Adam's wash shampoo on the paint!

Thanks guys, thats what I was thinking!

Good question. I always assumed that it does, and I always re-wax an area if I get gas on it while re-fueling.

You should have seen me the first time I filled up my diesel and it overflowed on the car. I nearly had a stroke, then went home and washed the rear quarter of the car at 10PM on an a very cold November night. And of course, as luck would have it, the neighbors pulled in just as I was at it... They just rolled their eyes and went into their house. :lolsmack:

hahaha, I think all of our neighbors think we have a problem. I know mine look confused when I break out the foam gun! :lolsmack:

That is a great tip! Definitely trying it next time, thanks! :banana:

To be on the safe side I think that I would re apply!:thumbsup:

Already did! Don't have to tell me twice to wax my car! :loser:

Archived