Customer Service 866.965.0400

Junkman's F.A.Q's! (Frequently Asked Questions)

Junkman2008

Question

Hey boys and girls, I am starting this thread to address all of the common questions that I get on what seems like a daily basis. This thread will contain a ton of information, and this first post will continue to grow as I continually add videos and write-up on things that I often get asked. Thus, you want to subscribe to it as the addition of information will grow as quick as I can knock out the videos and write-ups.

That's the theme of this thread so here we go!

Junkman's Alternative to 2-Bucket Washing - The Video!

The title says it all. This is how I wash my car when I don't have time to wash it properly.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO3gu65UYTA&feature=channel_video_title]Alternative to 2-Bucket Washing - YouTube[/ame]

How to Perfect "Moving" the PC-7424XP and the Flex 3401VRG at the Proper Tempo

Okay boys and girls, this video series is a first, and unlike anything that you will see anywhere else on the web. This video series concentrates on my technique of working both polishers, with the sole concentration being on how fast I move them across the paint. Again, this is strictly my technique as I do it when using any of these polishers to work on paint. Other folks may do it differently and that is fine but this is the way I do it.

So if you are using the PC and my technique which consist of:

• 9-14lbs of pressure including the weight of the polisher
  • Speed setting of 5
  • 3 pea-sized drops of polish. With the Flex, I use a thin bead of polish that circles the pad. The Flex requires more polish than the PC.

These videos will address how fast you should move the polisher. The way that I figured out how to get this across will probably crack you up but hey, we will all be on the same page if you are using my technique. Once you get through the videos, you will probably want to download this file so that you can get your practice on. :thumbsup:

Here are the videos!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taR6JP2yNfI&feature=channel_video_title]Polisher Speed of Movement - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ou4slueGVU&feature=channel_video_title]Polisher Speed of Movement - Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTmG-CAj7VE&feature=channel_video_title]Polisher Speed of Movement - Part 3 - YouTube[/ame]

How to Buff on the Side of Your Vehicle

Okay boys and girls, this video series addresses that question I often get about buffing on the side of the car. I detail this and reinforce my technique for those who are mixing it up with other techniques. I will continue to update this thread with more information and videos as the questions come in.

Here are the videos!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yHQME7dUDU&feature=channel_video_title]Buffing the Side of Your Car - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rnTEIKcbrQ&feature=channel_video_title]Buffing the Side of Your Car - Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32v_4I-zDyY&feature=channel_video_title]Buffing the Side of Your Car - Part 3 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK44yWBdERc&feature=channel_video_title]Buffing the Side of Your Car - Part 4 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feAKE9Up2t0&feature=channel_video_title]Buffing the Side of Your Car - Part 5 - YouTube[/ame]

That's all for now. :cheers:

The Junkman

• Answers 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got mixed information on the Brinkman when I searched for it. The plug in charger does say "made in China" and the light may be too. I know for certain that my HD 500 watt halogen lights are "made in china".

If they were made in the USA, they wouldn't be so freakin' flimsy. I'm trying to find a quality set myself.

How to Perfect "Moving" the PC-7424XP and the Flex 3401VRG at the Proper Tempo

Okay boys and girls, this video series is a first, and unlike anything that you will see anywhere else on the web. This video series concentrates on my technique of working both polishers, with the sole concentration being on how fast I move them across the paint. Again, this is strictly my technique as I do it when using any of these polishers to work on paint. Other folks may do it differently and that is fine but this is the way I do it.

So if you are using the PC and my technique which consist of:

• 9-14lbs of pressure including the weight of the polisher
  • Speed setting of 5
  • 3 pea-sized drops of polish. With the Flex, I use a thin bead of polish that circles the pad. The Flex requires more polish than the PC.

These videos will address how fast you should move the polisher. The way that I figured out how to get this across will probably crack you up but hey, we will all be on the same page if you are using my technique. Once you get through the videos, you will probably want to download this file so that you can get your practice on. :thumbsup:

Here are the videos!

The Junkman

For the engineering types out there, Copacabana, the song Junkman uses for the tempo, is 120 beats/min (2 beats / sec) or VERY close to it.

For reference:

Working Area: 18" x 18" box

PC Pace: 16 beats per single straight pass (8 seconds)

Flex Pace: 8 beats per single straight pass (4 seconds)

Makita Pace: 4 beats per single straight pass (2 seconds)

(Due to the additional complexities of the Makita, I'll leave it out)

It took 16 overlapping straight passes to complete the box: 4 horizontal, the 4 vertical, then 4 horizontal, then 4 vertical.

Thus an estimated time to 'complete' the 18" x 18" box would be:

PC Time in Working Area : 2 minutes, 8 seconds

Flex Time in Working Area : 1 minutes, 4 seconds

The same thing can be applied for a 24" x 24" box, Junkman's other mentioned working area. A single straight pass is 1.33x longer (24"/18"). Using the same overlap, it would be 5-6 straight passes x 4 to complete the working area. Using 6: 6 horizontal, 6 vertical, 6 horizontal, 6 vertical for 24 total straight passes that are 1.33x longer.

Thus an estimated time to 'complete' the 24" x 24" box would be:

PC Time in Working Area : 4 minutes, 16 seconds

Flex Time in Working Area : 2 minutes, 8 seconds

Thus it takes about twice the time compared to the 18x18 working area.

Obviously other factors come into play like temperature, humidity, pressure and observation to assure the polish isn't OVERworked. But this gives some rough total times for a given working area.

Just and engineer doing the math.

Hey Junkman-

A couple more questions.

I was on the Adams Website checking some stuff out. I noticed that your kit comes with Machine Super Wax, but I couldn't seem to find that product on its own on the website. I did find Machine Super Sealant, though. Has the super wax product been re-named/replaced with the super sealant? And if so, does your kit just ship with the Super Sealant instead?

Also, regarding the upgrade in your kit to the Americana Carnuba wax. Will the kit still ship with the black waxing pad? If so, do you recommend applying the Americana Carnuba with this pad, or by hand with the included hand applicator (I'm assuming your upgraded kit would come with the hand applicator)?

And lastly - what's your honest opinion. Does the Americana Carnuba out perform the Super Wax/Super Sealant?

Okay, if you can feel the stains that you tried claying and didn't remove, then you ain't claying hard enough. As my father use to say, "Put your butt in it son!" You have got to scrub the hell out of those spots before they budge. Watch me clay and you'll see what I mean.

As for that scratch, don't even think about it. That is way beyond your means. If you can feel it with your fingernail, it is most likely through the clear and into the paint.

(2) I wanted to replace my portable detailing light, and I really love the portable light you use to inspect your paint. Would you mind disclosing the kind of light you are using?

AJ please correct me if I am wrong, but I beleive it is a Brinkmann MaxFire Dual Xenon Rechargeable Spotlight - http://detailersdomain.com/carcareproducts/lighting/BrinkmanMaxFireLight.html. They can be found in auto parts stores, etc.

The kit came! It looks like Adam's was nice enough to attach the backing plate to the PC for me. Is it pretty much ready to use as is? The video that you posted on YouTube on prepping the PC is private so I can't watch it.

That was my fear. In your experience, what do you think a pro would charge to fix it? It would probably depend on whether or not they resprayed the entire panel, or feathered it in.

The only person who is going to use feathering to fix that damage is an air brush artist who is very good and spot repairing body panels. I don't see a bunch of those guys around anywhere. Most shops are going to paint the entire panel. That's what shops do now. Gone are the days of the body shop artist. You just can't find a Chip Foose on every block anymore.

Then you need to inspect the paint after every step you make so that you can identify the step that is creating the scratches. You also need to ensure that you are working with PLENTY of light.

Thanks a lot again:rockon:

This is something that you already mentioned in one of your videos my bad:2thumbs:. I guess I have been to excited about the polish and not throughly enough to inspect the paint step by step and using correct lighting.

Cheers AJ and have a nice weekend.

What was M.S.W is now MSS. It was just renamed so you will get the new stuff. You apply Americana by hand, not with the black pad. If you get Americana, it will come with the applicator. As for which one "out performs" the other, MSS last longer than Americana. That's not my opinion, that's the truth. Nothing outlast a sealant. It is the longest lasting type of wax.

Here are some pictures. I tried the best I could to capture it. I've never used any kind of tire dressings, so I don't think this is staining from that. But I can feel these little rust specs with my nail - so I don't think it's a stain. You can see three of them together here. The camera didn't capture their color all that accurately. They're a brown/red rusty color.

I'm also posting a couple pictures of a door ding I got this summer. Someone next to me at the driving range decided to open their door as far as it could go. I can feel it with my nail, so I'm guessing wet sanding on that one. Ugh.

It has come to the attention of the Moderators that questions posed to this thread were not being answered in a timely manner. In an effort to maintain our high standards of being a supportive community, this thread is now closed. There is not point in keeping it open if there isn't help being distributed to asked questions.

Thank You.

As for that scratch, don't even think about it. That is way beyond your means. If you can feel it with your fingernail, it is most likely through the clear and into the paint.

That was my fear. In your experience, what do you think a pro would charge to fix it? It would probably depend on whether or not they resprayed the entire panel, or feathered it in.

As for the claying, I'ma have to wait and give the Adam's clay a go once your kit gets here. I've been using meguiars clay. It seems a little soft. Maybe Adams clay will work a little better.

Are you planning on making some new video's using the Flex. I have a pc and want to graduate to a flex soon, but i want to see how you use it first. Once i get the flex, do i need to keep the pc? What would be the reason for keeping the pc once i buy the flex. Thanks,

Mico M

I have made some videos using the Flex. Why do you want to have both? Read this entire thread. I explain that in clear detail.

Archived