Customer Service 866.965.0400

Junkman's F.A.Q's! (Frequently Asked Questions)

Junkman2008

Question

Hey boys and girls, I am starting this thread to address all of the common questions that I get on what seems like a daily basis. This thread will contain a ton of information, and this first post will continue to grow as I continually add videos and write-up on things that I often get asked. Thus, you want to subscribe to it as the addition of information will grow as quick as I can knock out the videos and write-ups.

That's the theme of this thread so here we go!

Junkman's Alternative to 2-Bucket Washing - The Video!

The title says it all. This is how I wash my car when I don't have time to wash it properly.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO3gu65UYTA&feature=channel_video_title]Alternative to 2-Bucket Washing - YouTube[/ame]

How to Perfect "Moving" the PC-7424XP and the Flex 3401VRG at the Proper Tempo

Okay boys and girls, this video series is a first, and unlike anything that you will see anywhere else on the web. This video series concentrates on my technique of working both polishers, with the sole concentration being on how fast I move them across the paint. Again, this is strictly my technique as I do it when using any of these polishers to work on paint. Other folks may do it differently and that is fine but this is the way I do it.

So if you are using the PC and my technique which consist of:

• 9-14lbs of pressure including the weight of the polisher
  • Speed setting of 5
  • 3 pea-sized drops of polish. With the Flex, I use a thin bead of polish that circles the pad. The Flex requires more polish than the PC.

These videos will address how fast you should move the polisher. The way that I figured out how to get this across will probably crack you up but hey, we will all be on the same page if you are using my technique. Once you get through the videos, you will probably want to download this file so that you can get your practice on. :thumbsup:

Here are the videos!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taR6JP2yNfI&feature=channel_video_title]Polisher Speed of Movement - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ou4slueGVU&feature=channel_video_title]Polisher Speed of Movement - Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTmG-CAj7VE&feature=channel_video_title]Polisher Speed of Movement - Part 3 - YouTube[/ame]

How to Buff on the Side of Your Vehicle

Okay boys and girls, this video series addresses that question I often get about buffing on the side of the car. I detail this and reinforce my technique for those who are mixing it up with other techniques. I will continue to update this thread with more information and videos as the questions come in.

Here are the videos!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yHQME7dUDU&feature=channel_video_title]Buffing the Side of Your Car - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rnTEIKcbrQ&feature=channel_video_title]Buffing the Side of Your Car - Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32v_4I-zDyY&feature=channel_video_title]Buffing the Side of Your Car - Part 3 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK44yWBdERc&feature=channel_video_title]Buffing the Side of Your Car - Part 4 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feAKE9Up2t0&feature=channel_video_title]Buffing the Side of Your Car - Part 5 - YouTube[/ame]

That's all for now. :cheers:

The Junkman

• Answers 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've finally started polishing! :pc:

Question:

I'm seeing some pad shavings come off as I'm polishing. Like tiny pieces of the pad coming off. When using the orange pad, it's like a little bit of orange dust is left behind. However, it's not like whole pieces of the pad are coming off or anything. Is that normal? Am I just seeing them easier because they're standing out against my black paint? I know the pads wear down over time, just wasn't sure if you could see it happen or not in the form of this "pad dust" left behind.

If they're not supposed to do that visibly, is there maybe something I'm doing wrong? Or maybe bad pads (I doubt it)?

I've finally started polishing! :pc:

Question:

I'm seeing some pad shavings come off as I'm polishing. Like tiny pieces of the pad coming off. When using the orange pad, it's like a little bit of orange dust is left behind. However, it's not like whole pieces of the pad are coming off or anything. Is that normal? Am I just seeing them easier because they're standing out against my black paint? I know the pads wear down over time, just wasn't sure if you could see it happen or not in the form of this "pad dust" left behind.

If they're not supposed to do that visibly, is there maybe something I'm doing wrong? Or maybe bad pads (I doubt it)?

The pads don't wear down over time unless you use a real aggressive and hard pressing technique. What you see is not the pad coming apart, it is polish. You are using way too much and it is flaking off the pad. Who's technique are you using?

Nate, are you sure it's not just dry polish "dusting"? Like, can you actually see the pad degrading around the edges? If not, I would bet it's just dry polish, in which case you need only to use a bit more DS.

...and LESS polish.

I think you're right. I looked at the pad. It doesn't seem to have degraded. But there's a little bit of caked polish on the very edges if the pad. I'll use less.

I'm using the junkman technique! Is there any other?? Haha.

I started out by priming the pad with the 4 pea sized dots and a shot of detail spray. Maybe they were too large. I'll use less now!

Gotta love technology. Asking questions in real time with a smart phone, and getting almost instant responses. You guys rock. Back to work! Stay tuned.

Ps. I can already see results!

You will need to flush that pad out thoroughly by washing it when you're done or it will create dust from now on. Then you need to make sure that you don't duplicate this mistake. You create twice the work by creating dust.

I feel like I just got in trouble at school. Doh!

Oh well, I'm learning!:cheers:

Thanks for the tips. Will fine machine polish remove micro marring, or will I have to go back again with SHR? I can't tell yet if I have just a dull finish from SHR or if it's micro marring.

All you have to do is look at the paint. Micro-marring will look like super tiny little circles and it usually takes a lot of light to see it on a dark colored car. Because of the way SHR works, it is going to beat the paint up and leave it somewhat dull. That is why following SHR with FMP is so important. FMP is going to remove the damage that SHR leaves behind. So once all the scratches and swirls in your paint are gone, you are done using SHR. At that point, you move to FMP and finesse the paint back to its original shine.

By the way, if you were in trouble, I would pop out of your phone and start screaming in your ear. ;)

Dude please check out all the vids that many of the members on here have made available for free, just for the sake of being nice and informative. I understand you have questions but sometimes it;s best to do trial and error and watch the junkmans vids. Junkman and adam have conquered 2 great methods of polishing, if you watch these vids you should be able to choose the best method and have little error if followed correctly. I am not being negative i just feel after seeing alot of your issues that many could be corrected by watching the junkman himself correct that very neglected el camino (why thats his DD instead of the vette i dont know probly has a steamer full of ribs in it i guess):D

Dude please check out all the vids that many of the members on here have made available for free, just for the sake of being nice and informative. I understand you have questions but sometimes it;s best to do trial and error and watch the junkmans vids. Junkman and adam have conquered 2 great methods of polishing, if you watch these vids you should be able to choose the best method and have little error if followed correctly. I am not being negative i just feel after seeing alot of your issues that many could be corrected by watching the junkman himself correct that very neglected el camino (why thats his DD instead of the vette i dont know probly has a steamer full of ribs in it i guess):D

Sorry man. Didn't mean to be bothering you. Just doing this for the first time and have a lot of questions, that's all. I actually have watched the videos a bunch of times. I'm having good results so far I think. But I'll stop posting so much.

Sorry man. Didn't mean to be bothering you. Just doing this for the first time and have a lot of questions, that's all. I actually have watched the videos a bunch of times. I'm having good results so far I think. But I'll stop posting so much.

You don't have to stop posting so much. Ask your questions. Somebody will a;ways be here to answer them. ;)

Questions are what we are all here for :thumbsup:

Maybe start a new thread and get all your questions answered in one shot :rockon:

junkman! i found you on youtube lookin at adams product. Buddy of mine got me on adams, saw you guys at carlise, and started using it. Im over seas right now, and he just completly did my WHOLE car. wash, clay, swirl, polish, and wax. car looks AMAZING... SO NOW im gonna start using two bucket wash, never did that before, and using adams detail spray and rags/washpads. Im a HUGE detail person, and never knew why my paint just got WORSE and WORSE. Now im seeing ALL these things ive done wrong, everything from washing, to not using cali duster right, to using detail spray on dusty car... I wanna keep my clear coat looking like GLASS now. Im asuming i should invest in some of the fine polish for maybe 5-6 month polish touch ups, and some machine wax? to keep her pretty. With two bucket washes of course. Cant thank you enough for the videos and all the amazing tips. Im sure to keep my car lookin 10X better than before. thanks again junkman, and thanks for your prior service. Im serving a tour now in south korea. Getting home in 30 days to my wife kids and my CAR! so very excited, already have adams products waiting for me at home :)

ONE question, i tried lookin for... WHAT do we do when a bird decides to make a mess on your paint? and your at a SHOW, or out where theres no way to WASH the car, cause i KNOW you will see WASH IT... but what if you cant? We talkin WET and DRY. Any sug?

thanks again junkman, amazing videos, and awesome detail/wash tips!

First off, thank YOU for your service! :patriot:

I remember Korea well. I did my time in Pohang and Busan. I will never forget those times. :thumbsup:

...Im assuming i should invest in some of the fine polish for maybe 5-6 month polish touch ups, and some machine wax?

You should invest in what you see me use, or substitute whatever the replacement product is at the time of your purchase. That way, you can follow along with my videos and you should end up with the same results that you see me achieve.

ONE question, i tried lookin for... WHAT do we do when a bird decides to make a mess on your paint? and your at a SHOW, or out where theres no way to WASH the car, cause i KNOW you will see WASH IT... but what if you cant? We talkin WET and DRY. Any sug?

thanks again junkman, amazing videos, and awesome detail/wash tips!

Keep some Waterless Wash with you at all times. You may even want to transfer it to a very stout spray bottle just in case the car gets really hot as the bottles don't fair well in 100 degree trunks. When you get hit by a bird bomb, saturate the area with WW and check it with your fingers to make sure that the bird bomb has become totally liquid. Once it has, remove it with a scooping action, NOT a back and forth action. If the entire car needs washing and there is no place to wash the car, then you need to watch my alternative to 2-bucket washing video because that's exactly what I do.

Welcome to the forum! :)

i saw the alternative lol, i just ment if there was no way to WASH the bird bomb off. :)

Sounds good thanks junkman. Again thanks for your prior service, and your current. Awesome vids. Ill be movin out to texas el paso, lmk if you do any car shows or detail clinics out my way, ill def come out.

How to Perfect "Moving" the PC-7424XP and the Flex 3401VRG at the Proper Tempo

Okay boys and girls, this video series is a first, and unlike anything that you will see anywhere else on the web. This video series concentrates on my technique of working both polishers, with the sole concentration being on how fast I move them across the paint. Again, this is strictly my technique as I do it when using any of these polishers to work on paint. Other folks may do it differently and that is fine but this is the way I do it.

So if you are using the PC and my technique which consist of:

• 9-14lbs of pressure including the weight of the polisher
  • Speed setting of 5
  • 3 pea-sized drops of polish. With the Flex, I use a thin bead of polish that circles the pad. The Flex requires more polish than the PC.

These videos will address how fast you should move the polisher. The way that I figured out how to get this across will probably crack you up but hey, we will all be on the same page if you are using my technique. Once you get through the videos, you will probably want to download this file so that you can get your practice on. :thumbsup:

Here are the videos!

The Junkman

For the engineering types out there, Copacabana, the song Junkman uses for the tempo, is 120 beats/min (2 beats / sec) or VERY close to it.

For reference:

Working Area: 18" x 18" box

PC Pace: 16 beats per single straight pass (8 seconds)

Flex Pace: 8 beats per single straight pass (4 seconds)

Makita Pace: 4 beats per single straight pass (2 seconds)

(Due to the additional complexities of the Makita, I'll leave it out)

It took 16 overlapping straight passes to complete the box: 4 horizontal, the 4 vertical, then 4 horizontal, then 4 vertical.

Thus an estimated time to 'complete' the 18" x 18" box would be:

PC Time in Working Area : 2 minutes, 8 seconds

Flex Time in Working Area : 1 minutes, 4 seconds

The same thing can be applied for a 24" x 24" box, Junkman's other mentioned working area. A single straight pass is 1.33x longer (24"/18"). Using the same overlap, it would be 5-6 straight passes x 4 to complete the working area. Using 6: 6 horizontal, 6 vertical, 6 horizontal, 6 vertical for 24 total straight passes that are 1.33x longer.

Thus an estimated time to 'complete' the 24" x 24" box would be:

PC Time in Working Area : 4 minutes, 16 seconds

Flex Time in Working Area : 2 minutes, 8 seconds

Thus it takes about twice the time compared to the 18x18 working area.

Obviously other factors come into play like temperature, humidity, pressure and observation to assure the polish isn't OVERworked. But this gives some rough total times for a given working area.

Just and engineer doing the math.

Junkman, So I have a major endeavor on my hands. I have both of my cars entered into Houston's biggest car show "Autorama". I am kinda confused on what products to use and in what order. Feel free to correct my thinking.

1971 Challenger R/T

- Wash car completly

- Clay Bar with Detail Spray

- Re wash car completely

- Air dry with Adam's JUMBO Vac N' Blo Pro Series by MetroVac

- Use PC with Severe swirl (green)

- Use PC with Swirl & haze (orange)

- Use PC with Time Machine Polish (white)

- Use PC with Machine Super Sealant (grey)

Now do I apply the Brilliant Glaze next and then Americana Wax or do I use one and not the other? The car's paint is in pretty good condition but has never been Porter Cabled.

2011 Challenger SRT8 (I have already clay bared when I took delivery)

- Wash car completly

Now do I apply the Brilliant Glaze next and then Americana Wax or do I use one and not the other?

If I have missed any steps, please let me know.

For the engineering types out there, Copacabana, the song Junkman uses for the tempo, is 120 beats/min (2 beats / sec) or VERY close to it.

For reference:

Working Area: 18" x 18" box

PC Pace: 16 beats per single straight pass (8 seconds)

Flex Pace: 8 beats per single straight pass (4 seconds)

Makita Pace: 4 beats per single straight pass (2 seconds)

(Due to the additional complexities of the Makita, I'll leave it out)

It took 16 overlapping straight passes to complete the box: 4 horizontal, the 4 vertical, then 4 horizontal, then 4 vertical.

Thus an estimated time to 'complete' the 18" x 18" box would be:

PC Time in Working Area : 2 minutes, 8 seconds

Flex Time in Working Area : 1 minutes, 4 seconds

The same thing can be applied for a 24" x 24" box, Junkman's other mentioned working area. A single straight pass is 1.33x longer (24"/18"). Using the same overlap, it would be 5-6 straight passes x 4 to complete the working area. Using 6: 6 horizontal, 6 vertical, 6 horizontal, 6 vertical for 24 total straight passes that are 1.33x longer.

Thus an estimated time to 'complete' the 24" x 24" box would be:

PC Time in Working Area : 4 minutes, 16 seconds

Flex Time in Working Area : 2 minutes, 8 seconds

Thus it takes about twice the time compared to the 18x18 working area.

Obviously other factors come into play like temperature, humidity, pressure and observation to assure the polish isn't OVERworked. But this gives some rough total times for a given working area.

Just and engineer doing the math.

Well there is quite a bit wrong with the way you're thinking. The main problem is, it's not that cut and dry. There are so many variables that go into paint correction that you can't just nail it down with a formula. A lot of paint correction is an art form. You have to pay attention to what is going on in front of you in order to determine what you need to do. I set forth a basic template for people to start with and as they begin to get the hang of it, they can adjust what they are doing to improve their results. To throw exact numbers and figures at it the way you're thinking not only creates confusion, it also doesn't take into consideration that all clear coats are not the same.

I understand the way you're thinking, but you are definitely over-thinking it. It's just not that complicated.

Junkman, So I have a major endeavor on my hands. I have both of my cars entered into Houston's biggest car show "Autorama". I am kinda confused on what products to use and in what order. Feel free to correct my thinking.

1971 Challenger R/T

- Wash car completly

- Clay Bar with Detail Spray

- Re wash car completely

- Use PC with Severe swirl (green)

Now do I apply the Brilliant Glaze next and then Americana Wax or do I use one and not the other? The car's paint is in pretty good condition but has never been Porter Cabled.

The secret to knowing what to do is knowing WHY you're doing it. Technically, you don't have to do anything after you get done with the above steps. What I'm wondering is why you would do anything next if you didn't know why you were doing it? Is it because of something you read or heard? For me, every step that I perform to paint has a definitive reason and I can explain exactly what that reason is. I do absolutely NOTHING if I don't know why I'm doing it, or see no benefit in doing so.

Every product has a purpose and before you use that product, you should have a thorough understanding of what it does. If not, how would you know when or why to use it? With that said, I ask you these two questions:

1. Do you know why you are to perform each step of the processes you've listed above?

2. What would be the benefit of doing any of the steps that you are considering afterward?

I like to provoke folks into thinking about what they are doing instead of just saying, "Use this and that." If you truly understand what you are doing, then the answers to the questions that you are asking quickly become evident to you. That way, you truly learn. It is much more important to me that you have a complete and thorough understanding of what you're doing instead of you just memorizing a set of instructions. If you truly understand, you become a valuable resource to others who are also seeking a understanding. :thumbsup:

2011 Challenger SRT8 (I have already clay bared when I took delivery)

- Wash car completly

Now do I apply the Brilliant Glaze next and then Americana Wax or do I use one and not the other?

If I have missed any steps, please let me know.

This is the same as your other situation. Answer those questions I asked and we'll take it from there. A lot of people will learn from your questions and mindset. :thumbsup:

The answer to your first question is Yes - I've watched your related videos and have all the products and equipment. The end results needs to be that my cars shine brighter than any other car at Autorama and the next time I go to wash the cars, they are protected from hard water stains and are easier to clean.

Archived