Customer Service 866.965.0400

Junkman's F.A.Q's! (Frequently Asked Questions)

Junkman2008

Question

Hey boys and girls, I am starting this thread to address all of the common questions that I get on what seems like a daily basis. This thread will contain a ton of information, and this first post will continue to grow as I continually add videos and write-up on things that I often get asked. Thus, you want to subscribe to it as the addition of information will grow as quick as I can knock out the videos and write-ups.

That's the theme of this thread so here we go!

Junkman's Alternative to 2-Bucket Washing - The Video!

The title says it all. This is how I wash my car when I don't have time to wash it properly.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO3gu65UYTA&feature=channel_video_title]Alternative to 2-Bucket Washing - YouTube[/ame]

How to Perfect "Moving" the PC-7424XP and the Flex 3401VRG at the Proper Tempo

Okay boys and girls, this video series is a first, and unlike anything that you will see anywhere else on the web. This video series concentrates on my technique of working both polishers, with the sole concentration being on how fast I move them across the paint. Again, this is strictly my technique as I do it when using any of these polishers to work on paint. Other folks may do it differently and that is fine but this is the way I do it.

So if you are using the PC and my technique which consist of:

• 9-14lbs of pressure including the weight of the polisher
  • Speed setting of 5
  • 3 pea-sized drops of polish. With the Flex, I use a thin bead of polish that circles the pad. The Flex requires more polish than the PC.

These videos will address how fast you should move the polisher. The way that I figured out how to get this across will probably crack you up but hey, we will all be on the same page if you are using my technique. Once you get through the videos, you will probably want to download this file so that you can get your practice on. :thumbsup:

Here are the videos!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taR6JP2yNfI&feature=channel_video_title]Polisher Speed of Movement - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ou4slueGVU&feature=channel_video_title]Polisher Speed of Movement - Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTmG-CAj7VE&feature=channel_video_title]Polisher Speed of Movement - Part 3 - YouTube[/ame]

How to Buff on the Side of Your Vehicle

Okay boys and girls, this video series addresses that question I often get about buffing on the side of the car. I detail this and reinforce my technique for those who are mixing it up with other techniques. I will continue to update this thread with more information and videos as the questions come in.

Here are the videos!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yHQME7dUDU&feature=channel_video_title]Buffing the Side of Your Car - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rnTEIKcbrQ&feature=channel_video_title]Buffing the Side of Your Car - Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32v_4I-zDyY&feature=channel_video_title]Buffing the Side of Your Car - Part 3 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK44yWBdERc&feature=channel_video_title]Buffing the Side of Your Car - Part 4 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feAKE9Up2t0&feature=channel_video_title]Buffing the Side of Your Car - Part 5 - YouTube[/ame]

That's all for now. :cheers:

The Junkman

• Answers 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your posts are the best...point blank..but I have a situation that I need help with I bought a car that has a matte black spoiler, its metal but does not have clear coat. How do I protect it? Do I wax it? Do I just use the Adams VRT? Thanks!!!

Do not wax or polish.... you can clean with soap and water, use detail spray or waterless wash as needed.

If you get some chalky or uneven looking spots (common with matte paint) you can use Super VRT to even it out again. Seems odd to use tire dressing on paint, but it works!

You'd also be safe to use Quick Sealant on it for protection should you choose to go that way.

Your posts are the best...point blank..but I have a situation that I need help with I bought a car that has a matte black spoiler, its metal but does not have clear coat. How do I protect it? Do I wax it? Do I just use the Adams VRT? Thanks!!!

... OK then, here comes the BATHROOM SCALE! Now between 9 and 14 lbs, is your rule more pressure for more correction? That is, 14 lbs for the most correction and 9 lbs for lighter correction? Or is it more complicated than that?

No, it's no were near as complicated as you're trying to make it. It's 9-14 pounds of pressure, PERIOD. It doesn't matter how much damage or what kind of damage, 9-14 pounds of pressure is the amount of pressure that you use when using my technique. Remember what I say in my videos, it's not rocket science so don't try and make it rocket science. ;)

OK, I got it this time. The audio wasn't the best and I missed a few key words. Also, I may have been sleeping a bit during that part. It is hard to believe I actually graduated from Med School. :lol:

OK then, here comes the BATHROOM SCALE! Now between 9 and 14 lbs, is your rule more pressure for more correction? That is, 14 lbs for the most correction and 9 lbs for lighter correction? Or is it more complicated than that?

Hello AJ! I just finished watching your videos on polishing. Just one question. Is wasn't clear to me exactly how you measure the pressure you use on the PC. Do I need to buy a pressure measuring device or can I guage it by how fast the pad spins?

Thanks!

Ron:patriot:

I cover this in the very videos that are posted in this thread. This is why I tell people to watch my videos multiple times as you will never catch everything that I say or do by only watching them once. Click the link below and listen.

Hello AJ! I just finished watching your videos on polishing. Just one question. Is wasn't clear to me exactly how you measure the pressure you use on the PC. Do I need to buy a pressure measuring device or can I guage it by how fast the pad spins?

Thanks!

Ron:patriot:

Junkman, how often do you recommend that a vehicles paint gets sealed?

That totally depends on the sealant you use, the manufacturer's claim of longevity, the elements that you expose the car too, how often you wash the car and how the water reacts on the surface of the car when you rinse it. So as you can see, there is no exact time. You use a sealant whenever the need arises. The best thing to do is watch how the water beads during the first wash right after you have applied it. Once the water starts acting differently, it's time to consider reapplying.

Actually, I lucked out. If I change the head gaskets, have the broken engine piece TIG welded and replace the starter, I'm back up and running. Had that starter not broken away, internal damage to the motor would have been the result. That would mean pulling the motor, something I definitely didn't want to do.

Are you planning on making some new video's using the Flex. I have a pc and want to graduate to a flex soon, but i want to see how you use it first. Once i get the flex, do i need to keep the pc? What would be the reason for keeping the pc once i buy the flex. Thanks,

Mico M

I have made some videos using the Flex. Why do you want to have both? Read this entire thread. I explain that in clear detail.

Are you planning on making some new video's using the Flex. I have a pc and want to graduate to a flex soon, but i want to see how you use it first. Once i get the flex, do i need to keep the pc? What would be the reason for keeping the pc once i buy the flex. Thanks,

Mico M

Junkman....love the videos and how-to's. I've been living in your area for the past few months, eating all the food and drinking all the beer.

I bought a Flex and noticed that it's got some weight to it. Your technique states 9-14lbs of pressure; however, I don't have a scale that registers anything less than 20lbs. So, what is the weight of the Flex? Just based on feel, it would seem I wouldn't have to apply much additional pressure to achieve the 9-14lb guideline.

I'm a novice and bought a Flex....I know, I know...I should've started with the PC. But my wife's car (black Maxima) is swirl city and I wanted to achieve my results sooner vs later. I've watched your videos on using the Flex probably a half-dozen times now (I'm obsessed), so I'm confident in what I see...now it's about putting it to practice.

Any insight you can provide is appreciated. As always, great work, great insight, and SWEET RIDE!

i went to one of those car washes to help the kids out one time and they dried my car with a dirty terry cloth bath towel. It hurt

Next time, do what I do. Donate the money to them and tell them to stay away from the car. Unless one of the girls are cute, then take a picture of them with the car. :thumbsup:

:bow:This is becoming quite apparent to me. It's taking a LONG time to get my car corrected, BUT panel by panel, it's coming along nicely.

Once I'm done, it won't take nearly as long to maintain given proper washing procedure and staying away from car washes. Awww even those bikini ones? :)

Those are the worse ones!

Well first, I really haven't made a detailed video on using the Flex yet. The 9-14 pounds that I talk about applies only to the PC. I vary my weight on the Flex depending on what I'm doing and the polish I use. It is never really the same all the time but it would be a lot easier for you to understand had you started with the PC first. I always tell guys that if you want the more versatile machine, go with the PC. You can do more with it than any of the polishers out there, you just can't do it as fast.

So now you need to do one of two things. Get a PC and learn how to use it FIRST, or start with the Flex and be in for a learning curve. Both of these machines compliment each other. I posted this on another forum where a guy was trying to decide between the two.

"The Flex is a lot more powerful than the PC, however, it can be overkill once you have truly achieved some flawless paint. Once your paint has been fully corrected, all you need is the power of the PC to maintain your paint if you are touching your paint correctly. There is absolutely no need to be cutting more clear coat off your car than necessary. The PC is going to be more friendly when it comes to that aspect of paint maintenance. The PC, even with its limited power is truly the more versatile machine.

The Flex has its place and it covers the shortfalls of the PC. However, having both machines in your arsenal is what gives you the best option for complete paint maintenance. I have 4 polishers in my arsenal and all 4 serve a different purpose. Having only one polisher to go to is similar to having a crescent wrench instead of a set of sockets. You can get some things done with a crescent wrench, but a set of sockets is a lot more versatile and effective."

Think about David when he went to fight Goliath. They tried to fit David with all kinds of armor but it was too heavy for him. So David took all that stuff off and went down to meet Goliath with his trusty ol' sling shot. You know the rest of the story. Technique my friend. In the right hands with the right technique, you can get a lot done with the PC.

Archived