Customer Service 866.965.0400

Difference between the Flex and Porter

mcotton

So I have always done hand polishing and am looking at stepping up to the next step and was wondering the difference between the Porter Cable machine and the Flex machine polisher? Do I need them both or will one work?

Mike :pc:

Both are random orbital, however the Flex is forced rotation.I have both and like both, however if I only could have one I think that I would buy the PC and add the Flex when I could. Either way you can't go wrong with either machines!:thumbsup:

Both are random orbital, however the Flex is forced rotation.I have both and like both, however if I only could have one I think that I would buy the PC and add the Flex when I could. Either way you can't go wrong with either machines!:thumbsup:

I was under the impression the PC was easier for a newbie as it will not burn the paint, the Flex can burn if not carefull? Is that true or did I misunderstand?

Mike

I was under the impression the PC was easier for a newbie as it will not burn the paint, the Flex can burn if not carefull? Is that true or did I misunderstand?

Mike

No you pretty much got it.

PC - Won't harm your paint but takes longer than the FLEX to produce the same results.

FLEX - Faster results but can harm your paint if not careful.

There is no reason to be scared of the FLEX. It's still ALOT safer than a machine body shop buffer.

Since you're just getting into machine polishing I would recommend the PC first do a few corrections and then add the FLEX later.

No you pretty much got it.

PC - Won't harm your paint but takes longer than the FLEX to produce the same results.

FLEX - Faster results but can harm your paint if not careful.

There is no reason to be scared of the FLEX. It's still ALOT safer than a machine body shop buffer.

Since you're just getting into machine polishing I would recommend the PC first do a few corrections and then add the FLEX later.

Thank you, that is very helpful. :2thumbs:

Personally, I think you'd have to try pretty hard to do damage with the Flex, ie, aggressive pad, aggressive polish and throw in a little bad technique. I'm not saying it can't do harm and is indeed more risky than the PC, but so long as you pay attention, it's a fairly safe machine.

For people new to machine polishing, the PC is the way to go and you can achieve great results with that machine. Many people who own multiple buffers, myself included, still use a PC quite often. There's a reason why it's the industry defacto standard.

- Darryl

I was under the impression the PC was easier for a newbie as it will not burn the paint, the Flex can burn if not carefully? Is that true or did I misunderstand?

Mike

Don't get me wrong both are safe, I guess if you really tried with Flex you could do some damage on a edge. However starting out the PC would be best. IMHO!

I started with the PC and it is very user friendly..still gets the car corrected good and as a bonus the PC can aply MSS!

This is the main reason to have the PC or both.

I have neither, but plan on it sooooon, haha.

Pretty much like the others said, but this is the way I look at it.

PC: The more pressure you put on it, the slower it rotates. That's why you can't mess your paint up, if you press to hard, it stops spinning.

Flex: Forced rotation, amount of pressure doesn't affect speed.

The PC is a great starting point. But as soon as I started using it I knew a Flex was in my future. As has been said many times here "the only way to hurt the paint with a PC is to drop it on the car". I have big vehicles and a 24 foot boat so I went ahead and got a Flex too. But I've been doing this awhile and am comfortable with using tools like this carefully.

I got to a point with the Porter Cable where I was both comfortable with my technique and also what I could and couldn't achieve with it. At that point in time, I chose to step up to a FLEX polisher. I still prefer to use Fine Machine Polish with the Porter Cable, but I defer all my Severe Swirl and Swirl and Haze correcting to the FLEX.

If you haven't used a machine, I most certainly recommend starting with a Porter Cable. It is easy to use, you get great results, and really, you just have to let your mind go that you won't hurt anything without being stupid or really trying to.

Mook

I only have the PC, and probably won't get a Flex for a while. I guess in my mind, I have only had my PC a year, so I am in no hurry. I started off with using a machine from the very beginning, so I had no issues with the whole "jump from hand polishing" I suppose. I guess that answers your question actually. PC: So easy a newb can do it!

I started off with using a machine from the very beginning, so I had no issues with the whole "jump from hand polishing" I suppose. I guess that answers your question actually. PC: So easy a newb can do it!

:iagree:

I did the same thing. I get tired after wiping off detail spray. I wan't no part of hand polishing. :willy:

If there is something that will save me time and effort (and sore arm) I'm all for it. :D

Yeah you really have to try to harm your clear with the Flex. I had to put the thing on edge and have some pretty bad technique with SSR and a green pad to burn the clear. I tried it out on an old beater that was going to the junk yard anyways.

:iagree:

I did the same thing. I get tired after wiping off detail spray. I wan't no part of hand polishing. :willy:

If there is something that will save me time and effort (and sore arm) I'm all for it. :D

Working smarter than harder is always a good route to go. Hand polishing I feel is more for the guy who really just enjoys some time away from his dulldrums (sp?) of life. Even me six months ago couldn't correct paint with all the caffeine I was ingesitng! :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah you really have to try to harm your clear with the Flex. I had to put the thing on edge and have some pretty bad technique with SSR and a green pad to burn the clear. I tried it out on an old beater that was going to the junk yard anyways.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA That is awesome that you went and tried! :burnout:

AHAHAHAHAHAHA That is awesome that you went and tried! :burnout:

I was curious. I saw Junkman's video on how the PC is impossible to damage paint. Very informative. Haven't seen one for the Flex so I had to find out for myself. I think most of us that have been around machine polishers know the extensive damage a full on rotary can do in a very short amount of time. So no real need to demonstrate on that one. Pretty obvious. The Flex however I was curious at the threshold at which point you need to be doing damage. All I can say is that if you are burning the paint with the Flex...you shouldn't have had one in your hands in the first place.

Start slow. LEARN AND PRACTICE with the PC.

• 2 weeks later...

Love both machines. Still use both when I'm detailing my cars. PC has some pretty cool additional talents that the Flex won't do. Mainly like applying the MSS, and the ability to use the 4" pads too. Although, I have came across an adapter for the flex to use 4" pads but I'd rather leave that to the PC. It's definitely worth the $$ to get the PC, you won't be sorry.

Flex gets things done faster yes and can do some amazing saves!! But if you haven't got confident in your technique with the PC first, you probably won't achieve or be able to appreciate the Flex. Just my opinion from my personal experiences.

Archived