Customer Service 866.965.0400

How do you heat your garage?

airhog

Other than heating your garage with wood what other alternatives are their for heating the garage? I was thinking of radiant tube heating that hangs from the ceiling and uses natural gas to run. Does anybody else use this method and how do you like it? What do you use to heat your garage?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old house in Maryland was heated with oil fired hot water heat. I just ran another zone of that boiler to the garage. The hot water fed a square radiator that looked like a typical box fan (approximately 26" x 26"). It was hung from the ceiling in one corner and was thermostatically controlled. When heat was needed hot water flowed from the boiler in the house out to the garage and through the radiator and the fan behind it blew warm air diagonally across the three garage bays. It worked great.

But now that I am in Florida, heating the garage is not an issue. I cool the garage with a stand alone 2 ton air conditioner and run it only when it is hot and I am going to be working in the garage for longer than 10 minutes.

Rich

Unfortunately where I live the tempertature gets to -40. So I need to heat or I won't go into the garage in the winter. Also I was wondering if I needed to put in a vent in the garage to control the humidity when heating.

I always used a bullet heater with kerosene, but it was noisy and you can still smell it. This year I bit the bullet and installed a nice gas heater. I searched the internet and talked to a couple of guys that have some and this is what I had in mind when I built the closet. I insulated the new garage addition when I built in 2003 with my sons help. I hooked up an old thermostat that a friend gave me and also put this curtain between the two garages. I haven't seen a gas bill yet, but it sure is nice and I can hear the radio all the time now.

As I posted in another thread...

heater.jpg

From parka to butt naked in 5 minutes! One thing that is true, you must have good vetilation to use something like this, especially if yours uses kerosene. My uses gas or kerosene and my garage is a drafty as Aunt Jemima's bloomers.

Edited by Junkman2008

drafty as Aunt Jemima bloomers.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I need to look on Craigslist to see if I can find any of those or hit up some local pawn shops. I had a buddy had one of those and they put out all sorts of heat. You'd be sweating in 5 minutes!

:lurk::lurk::lurk:

I would need something more than just a reddy heater. I need something that will get the concrete warm and keep it at a certain temperature all the time.

Indoors or outdoors? That Ready Heater I use was purchased to heat a 6 bedroom, 2 story house as it was being built and it did the job and then some. Until you've stood close to one, you just don't know the kind of heat they put out. Put it this way, don't point it at anything that will melt or burn. If you do, you won't make that mistake again!

:lolsmack:

They are great heaters. When myself and two friends rented a barn for storing out vehicles, we had two of those heaters. Even in the dead of winter, we could turn both heaters on and heat a 25 x 60 ft space in under 15 minutes. To the point that you could work on the cars without a jacket.

They throw some serious heat...