Customer Service 866.965.0400

The Official Adam's Forum Craft & Import Brew Connoisseur Discussion

Team Adam's

I've been trying to avoid wheat for the month, it's been helping me feel a bit better, but i'm not a fan of avoiding beer...I think i'm going to just limit it to a couple of beers on a friday or saturday and call it good. Last one I had was some Christmas Ale from Great Lakes.

It's more like an intolerance. Been doing a lot of reading on health and stuff lately and one of the things was about how overly modified wheat is now, and how most people have a hard time digesting it. So I figured i'd try going without for a month since my wife actually does have an allergy. I don't feel as bloated and as run down as I used to. That was the only thing i've changed about my diet as well. It has been an interesting test I guess.

I've been trying to avoid wheat for the month, it's been helping me feel a bit better, but i'm not a fan of avoiding beer...I think i'm going to just limit it to a couple of beers on a friday or saturday and call it good.
Last year posted about gving up Beer after suffering painful Gout Attacks in Foot(why it seems to attack the big toe first is still a mystery but it hurt like H E double L) Started to eliminate things that could trigger it. Make a long story short Wheat Beers was a major one of them. Have cut out Wheat Beers completely. Still endulge in an occasional Ale or Whiskey. Haven't had a major Gout Attack since. Knock on wood.:) Edited by ssbusdrvr

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a couple special brews from my local favorite, Sun King Brewery.

2013-01-31%2018.24.03.jpg

What's special about them?

Well the one on the left, Bourbon Barrel Johan, was the first brew Sun King produced for public sale back in 2009. They put a batch in reserve and stored it in Bourbon Barrels. Just recently they tapped the barrels, had a special can & label produced, and released 250 cans. 125 of the 250 went up for online reservations and all were spoken for in 30 seconds (which is how I got mine). The other 125 were up for sale at the brewery a couple weeks ago. Needless to say, they are all gone now. I have not opened mine yet but I probably will not wait long.

The other two are the first of Sun King's "King's Reserve" series. This one is Velvet Fog and it has claimed many awards nationwide including making the "Top 25" list. I drank one and frankly, I'm not crazy about it. The description does say it has a hint of cherry and I'm not big on anything that taste like cherry. Don't get me wrong, it isn't likea cherry beer. The initial taste is great but the lingering cherry is too much for my taste.

So my cousin-in-law sends me a pic of Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA he's enjoying in Houston right now. Apparently they delivered some to Texas.

Well I got on their website and they have a tab called Fish Finder which shows you what wholesaler in your area got what beer in the last 60 days. Just so happens a local specialty beer place got a case of it 3 weeks ago, and they're SOLD OUT! :(

I'm not a happy camper right now!

I would love to have some Red Horse, straight from the Philippines that is. Unregulated and all. Many of nights in Quezon City drink 10-12 and nothing. The next night drink maybe 2-3 and wake up with and wonder what happened.

That was the best beer. Dark and Xtra Strong. Use to get 1 case 12 bottles for 2.00.

What a deal!! :cheers:

I just read an article today that 3 Ohio brewers made the list of 100 Best in the World. Hoppin' Frog which sells big 22 oz. bottles was ranked 17th....Great Lakes Brewing Co, came in 35th & Jackie O's Pub & Brewery in Athens was ranked 97th.

First place went to Hill Farmstead Brewery of Greensboro, VT.

Ratebeer.com which has been around since 2000, uses a weighted system involving thousands of voters who register with the site to rank style & quality of a brew or brewer. Supposably they guard against skewed votes, bogus rankings or biased votes from brewers on their own products. About two-thirds of the breweries on the world list are American, 70% of the 250,000 voters are from the US.

So how did your favortie brew do? I prefer the Great Lakes Brewing Co.!

Edited by sluggoZ

Something to consider about that list of brewers is that how well a brewer does is largely dependant upon how widely they distribute their beers. Obviously, the more people who get to taste and vote, the better chance they have at getting ranked. The brewerys of some of the best beers in the world (consecutively for many years) are not even on the list of brewers. Likewise, some of the top brewers on that list are not listed near the top of best brews.