Customer Service 866.965.0400

The Official Adam's Forum Craft & Import Brew Connoisseur Discussion

Team Adam's

After partaking of some seriously excellent brews this weekend in PA with forum members BRZN, Krewsman, and others we decided it was high time we had a thread for discussing that bubbly grain based libation that so many of us enjoy.

THE RULES:

• This thread is for the discussion of small craft beers, specialty beers, and exotic imports only. Nothing against the fine folks at Coors or Budweiser.

• No discussion of irresponsible or reckless drinking. This is for people who enjoy beer as a hobby, not people who enjoy being drunk as a hobby.

• Be respectful of others opinions. The joy of a subject like this is everyone picks up different subtle nuances in each sip... speak your mind but don't insult others choices.

• You must be of legal drinking age to participate in the discussion. I'm sure our younger members CAN get adult beverages, I just don't want to know about it.

• This thread is for the discussion and enjoyment of fine beers. If you don't drink beer, or just don't drink thats fine, we don't need you to post it here.

• Whenever possible try to provide information on the brewery or where the beer you're suggesting, discussing, or reviewing is available so others might find it.

• It is illegal to ship alcohol, so should you want to exchange bottles with another member please arrange that of your own free will and somewhere outside of this thread.

Enjoy guys and girls, this can be a loooong running thread full of great stuff so cheers my friends! :cheers:

lets start it off with a little 'what I like'. Post your current favorite types...

For me as far as craft beers go I'm in love with most of the stuff Stone Brewing puts out (Stone Brewing Co.) most specifically of late their Ruination IPA.

On the other side of things, with the exotic imports/trappist belgians I'm loyal to Affligem Triple. A rather odd selection given my love of darker hoppy IPA type beers, but that triple just has something about it that works so well for me.

I am a fan of Reds, one of my local breweries Great Lakes Brewing Company has 2 seasonal Reds that are fun and completely different.

For those familiar with the NBA and Cleveland, this is the place that made a batch of LeQuitness Ale after "The Decision".. It sold out in 1 night! Found that funny!

I have not dabbled in many imports aside from Sapporo from Japan, and some of the big names from Mexico. I am hopeful that this thread will help me find some new red imports to try.

The workhorse of my fridge is Newcastle Brown Ale. This is a great time for this thread. One of the most anticipated beers of the year for me is the Sam Adams Octoberfest. As Dylan wrote of Stone i am looking forward to trying their 2011 Double Ba$tard Ale.

Dylan you rock! Let's see...Currently in my fridge is a Vanilla Porter by Breckenridge brewery as well as some Dogfishead Punk'n ale! I also have 3 I've brewed myself, an edmund fitzgerald clone from Great Lakes Brewing, a 90 min IPA clone from Dogfishead and a one off that's a wheat beer with an orange infusion that rocked out to 14.5%! Many more to come, craft beer is essentially all I drink!

When you do a clinic in Houston (if you ever do one here) there is a good local brewery called St Arnolds here. Saint Arnold Brewing Company - Texas' Oldest Craft brewery

We would definitely have to check them out. They have an amazing Octoberfest out right now and its awesome. They do a full tour of the brewery and talk about how they came up and all its pretty neat. So come on down to Texas already ....

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Nice thread! Before I get started....clearly Dylan spends WAY too much time detailing if he enjoys a fine ipa :lol: (typed i.p.a. triggers the auto-fill-in)

Ybor Gold was a really nice beer brewed in Ybor City (near Tampa). Just a clean finish that I really do miss.

Sam Adams is kind of my "go to" brew. All their seasonal still is outstanding.

If you can find it Fraoch Heather Ale is dang tasty.

I'll be interested to see what others talk about here as I am always looking to try our something new. :thumbsup:

I will go ahead and revisit this in the morning...lets say Im gonna do some product testing specifically regarding this thread.

New Begium 1554.

Two left in the fridge.

Just enough to test.

GREAT THREAD IDEA. REALLY.

I will go ahead and revisit this in the morning...lets say Im gonna do some product testing specifically regarding this thread.

New Begium 1554.

Two left in the fridge.

Just enough to test.

GREAT THREAD IDEA. REALLY.

Nice thread! Before I get started....clearly Dylan spends WAY too much time detailing if he enjoys a fine ipa :lol: (typed i.p.a. triggers the auto-fill-in)

Ybor Gold was a really nice beer brewed in Ybor City (near Tampa). Just a clean finish that I really do miss.

Sam Adams is kind of my "go to" brew. All their seasonal still is outstanding.

If you can find it Fraoch Heather Ale is dang tasty.

I'll be interested to see what others talk about here as I am always looking to try our something new. :thumbsup:

LOL... IPA has been removed from the acronym expansion.

I usually will pick up some style from Leinenkugel or New Glarus. I'm starting to get into Horny Goat stuff as well.

I like to try pretty much anything. The stranger the name, the higher the chances are that I will try it. Mad Hatter was a good one.

It's sooooo hard to find beer living in Milwaukee :jester: I couldn't even tell you how many places around here make their own beer. Just one more reason Dylan needs to come up here to put on a clinic. (In the summer, of course. I don't think he can handle anything below 60 degrees)

Two of my favorites breweries would be Oskar Blues in Longmont, CO and Avery brewing in Boulder.

Avery Brewing Company

http://www.oskarblues.com/

My favorites Oscar Blues brews would be the Gubna Imperial IPA and the Ten Fidy stout. But not to many as both are in the 10% content range.

And when I'm in Boulder I always have to stop at Avery's for a White Rascal or a Czar's Imperial when it is in season.

its too bad my dad and i could not enjoy a few nice cold ones with you but we had a long trip that day ahead of us. we have this store in rochester ny called "beers of the world", which is self explainatory. can go there and just go up and down an isle to see what pops out and get a variety 6-pack or a growler of whatever is on tap. i love a nice beer, i basically like anything besides an IPA. some local microbreweries include Ommagang, Rohrbach, Long Trail, and Ithaca Brewing company. of course i cant give up my Magic Hat or Sam Adams, its octoberfest season!

lot of pics(kinda big) if you want me to edit sizes dylan ill do it.

some pics of beers i have tried:

2011-04-23_23-06-30_41.jpg

dogfishheadraisondetre.jpg

samadamsnoblepils.jpg

lostcoasteightballstout.jpg

samuelsmithoatmealstout.jpg

guinness.jpg

guinnessextrastout.jpg

2010-12-23_21-33-19_367.jpg

i know is "budweiser" but its not the cheap stuff haha:

IMG00263-20101016-1654.jpg

my definition of the cheap drinks(minus the magic hat):lol::

CIMG1860.jpg

Edited by fortplainman

i've got a few bottles of a cream ale i homebrewed in the fridge now... it keeps getting better with age! 6 down, 42 to go before i brew something else. :cheers:

your rules didn't say anything about homebrew :D

i'm a big fan of pilsners, american lagers, blonde ales, belgian witbier, american pale ales, Oktoberfest (Marzen), anything Sam Adams makes, and fruit beers. yes i said it, fruit beers! try one and tell me you don't like it!

best beer i've ever had is Shock Top Raspberry Wheat. great summertime beer.

not a fan of the darker beers, i think thats more of a northern cold climate thing. we rarely see temps below 40 down here.

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

ryan im with you, i like my share of light fruit flavored beers. some examples are Ithaca Apricot Wheat, Purple Haze, Southern Tier Raspberry wheat ale, wachusetts blueberry ale, UFO beers, Magic Hat #9, Sam Adams Summer Ale and Octoberfest are the ones i can think of right now ive tried that are great.

I'm currently into the Hoppyer side of Beers, mostly IPA's.

I'm downing a Stoudt's Double IPA right now and throughly enjoy Fegley's Hop'solutely Triple IPA and Victory Brewing Hop Wallop all three are fairly local Brewery's. My wife and I are heading South this weekend and Terrapin Beer Company of Athens GA makes a nice IPA called Hopsecutioner

I love it, Dylan's here in the East for one short weekend and we corrupt him enough to start a Beer Thread within a Detailing Forum. :thumbsup:

Edited by BRZN

anyone try Wild Blue? its a blueberry lager made by Anheiser-Busch in their NY brewery. i had some in San Fransisco last month and it was amazing! 8% ABV and 260 calories :willy:

i'd consider this a craft brew since its pretty hard to find, eventhough its made by the largest beer company in the world. :cheers:

my favorite IPA i've tried to date is Sierra Nevada, although some people may argue its just a pale ale

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

I was fortunate enough to attend a surprise party for someone here last night....eh hem Adam :lol: @ the Avery Brewing Co. in Boulder.

I enjoyed this:

WhiteRascal_Badge90.png

Beer Style: Belgian White Ale

Hop Variety: Czech Saaz

Malt Variety: Two-row barley, Belgian wheat

OG: 1.050 ABV: 5.6% IBUs: 10

Color: White

A truly authentic Belgian style wheat or "white" ale, this Rascal is unfiltered (yup, that's yeast on the bottom) and cleverly spiced with coriander and Curacao orange peel producing a refreshingly fruity thirst quencher.

Food Pairing: Spicy Thai or Mexican dishes typially provide a level of heat and spiciness required to balance the semi-sweet, citrus flavors found in White Rascal. Our favorites are pad thai, green curry, blackened codfish and ceviche.

Availability: Year round. Six-pack bottles, six-pack cans, cases, 1/6BBL and 1/2BBL kegs.

WhiteRascal_clear600.png

VERY tasty! Not a terrible aftertaste like in some wheat beers. Not as heavy as a Hefe, and not as light as some of the other Wheats I enjoy...

Oh my Mook that looks VERY tasty!

I will be picking some of this up Friday along with a few other things..

Nosferatu_BottleGlass.jpg

Their site descibes it as follows..

Name Origin: Like vampires (most

especially, the notorious German vampire from

the 1920s film era), this beer has a bit

of a reputation as “the Beer with the Bite.”

Style Origin: American red ale has its origin

in the earliest days of the American craft beer

revolution. Faced with a dearth of traditional

English ingredients, brewers had to use American

ingredients. Imperial or double red ales grew out

of this medium-bodied style and emerged with

intense hop bitterness, flavor and aroma.

Flavor: Highly hopped and rich with

flavor, yet remarkably balanced

Pairs With: Root vegetables, red meats

and soft cheeses

I will update this after I give it a whirl..

My local store has a wall of shelves of singles so my winter will be spent gaming and tasting! This thread will be a haven for me!