Customer Service 866.965.0400

The Official Adam's Forum Craft & Import Brew Connoisseur Discussion

Team Adam's

we ate at The Melting Pot last night and as usual got their "Big Night Out" 4 course meal. they finally had one with a Craft Beer tasting. i got to try 4 different beers at 6oz. a piece; Sam Adams Boston Lager with appetizer, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with salad, Stone's Brewery IPA with main course, and finally Rogue's Chocolate Stout with desert.

the Rogue's chocolate stout was quite good! i don't like dark beers but this one was tasty. much better than Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Sounds good, but Sam Adam's seems out of place amongst all those others. They're getting to be a pretty main stream beer now - not that boston lager isn't good for what it is, just given the other selections in that mix they'd go a little more off the map.

I got lucky this year while in Reno and our detailer out there (Pete from VIP Detailing) took some of us out for a pub crawl. One of our stops was the Sierra Nevada Tap House... I love their Pale Ale, but they had some varieties there I had never seen from that brewery in stores and MAN were they good!!

Sounds good, but Sam Adam's seems out of place amongst all those others. They're getting to be a pretty main stream beer now - not that boston lager isn't good for what it is, just given the other selections in that mix they'd go a little more off the map.

I got lucky this year while in Reno and our detailer out there (Pete from VIP Detailing) took some of us out for a pub crawl. One of our stops was the Sierra Nevada Tap House... I love their Pale Ale, but they had some varieties there I had never seen from that brewery in stores and MAN were they good!!

Yeah Sam Adam's is pretty popular, but they still are considered a craft brewery because they produce less than 6,000,000 bbls of beer per year. i mainly enjoy trying their seasonals because they are the only ones easy to find in stores here. not many other craft breweries around like there are on the east and west coasts

Fridays selection... something from Sam Adam's I haven't seen/tried before and had to grab.

Latitude 48 IPA

73a4ca20.jpg

Beautiful medium amber coloring, good head after the pour.

Smells like your in for an extremely hoppy beer. It was good but not great... but definitely better than your average beer. A tad bitter on the finish, but was a little let down on the hops, just smelled like it was gonna punch me in the mouth with hops, but didn't taste like it.

Very drinkable though... unlike many harder IPA's this you could easily drink a bunch of without your mouth begging for mercy.

Overall I'd give it a "B" - worth trying if your an IPA fan, and not bad for the price paid. Well done Boston Beer Company!

I had that earlier in the summer, It didn't impress me at all honestly. Racer 5 is a great hoppy IPA as well as the 90 and 120 minute IPA's from Dogfishead. A light IPA persay that I love is the sierra nevada. Good stuff there!

I agree. Not in the same league as Dogfish 90 minute, or Stones Ruination, but I went in with low expectations. As touched on earlier... Sam Adam's is getting into 'big beer company' territory. While they may have the technical numbers to quality as a craft/microbrew anyone that runs as many commercials as they do and is widely distributed as they are aren't exactly producing small batch craft beers anymore.

For what it is, and who made it I was impressed. Its solid and "safe"... this in an IPA that casual beer drinkers could pick up and enjoy and being who they are I think thats what SA is trying to create here. If you were to go in expecting something over the top and revolutionary you'd be disappointed.

That's true, I guess I was expecting something with more IPA kick, so my expectations were higher. I think the only one I really like from Sam Adams is the classic lager. You are right about stones ruination, awesome beer! If you like really dark beers, check out Old Viscosity, I've only been able to get it out on the west coast, so you might be able to find it. Now I warn, by dark, I mean when you pour it in a glass you won't see anything through it. But it's pretty good!

Stone's Brewery IPA is the best IPA i've had to date. haven't tried dogfish head yet. i'm not much of a hop head though.

christmas is coming up... for those of you interested in homebrew, start up kits make a great gift! just stay away from the Mr Brew and Cooper's kits. a real kit will run between $100-$200. best book on the subject can be found free here:

How to Brew - By John Palmer

i have a start up kit from Austin Homebrew Supply, but check your local area for homebrew supply stores before ordering online!

I know this doesn't quite fit the parameters of the guidelines, but as a fan of black lagers I had to try the new Guinness Black Lager. Trademark Guinness look, distinct Guinness "family" taste, but with much more everyday drinkability. Very smooth, full bodied with just a slight bite and bitterness in the finish. I definitely would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of black lagers, Guinness, or both!

I know this doesn't quite fit the parameters of the guidelines, but as a fan of black lagers I had to try the new Guinness Black Lager. Trademark Guinness look, distinct Guinness "family" taste, but with much more everyday drinkability. Very smooth, full bodied with just a slight bite and bitterness in the finish. I definitely would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of black lagers, Guinness, or both!

Thank you for answering that question for me!

With Halloween inside of a week here, there are a few Pumpkin Ales out there that I need to get my hands on. I also like a good Chili Beer as the weather starts to get cold--keeps the blood warm. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I will STICK This thread, and also update!

Last weekend, with the weather cooling down, I was in a darker beer mindset upon entering my local establishment. I picked up a sixxer of the Avery White Rascal (Loving it a lot) and also a sixxer of Tommyknocker Cocoa Porter.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

1319837710853.jpg

1319840987113.jpg

1319841019444.jpg

This is one of the best Porters I have ever had. It to me was like drinking less bitter, dark chocolate. Went down smooth. Good aftertaste for a dark beer. Immediately killed three of the six within the first HOUR!

Tommyknocker Brewery & Pub- Colorado Mountain Town Craft Beer, Historic Idaho Springs, Colorado

Cocoa Porter Winter Warmer Ale has been specially brewed in celebration of the old world tradition of Porters and European Winter Warmers. The addition of pure cocoa powder and honey to each barrel of this unique ale enhances a winter season filled with warm friendships and good times.

BREW SPECS

Style:

Alcohol By Volume: 5.7%

Bitterness Units: 18

Malts: 2-row, wheat, munich, 75 crystal, chocolate rye, chocolate malt

Hops: mt. hood, sterling

Color:

cocoaPorterBP.png

heck, I'll throw down, after all I live in the town that made at least one or two beers famous.

- MILWAUKEE BREWING COMPANY -

If you ever get up here, the owner is a great guy and the tours are awesome. I'm still recoverying from the last tour I took. Personally I think he may out grown the craft beer monikor, but you've gotta love a guy whose business card titles him as cheif bottle washer.

Enjoy

the sell arrogant ******* ale in stores here, but never tried it.

This is the Oaked version. I don't know about the normal one, but this stuff has a serious bite. Once you can get your taste buds used to it, you find yourself wanting more :D

Nice... I'm never much for 'fruity' beers unless its more in the citrus family, but cool that you're experimenting.

if you ever see it in the grocery store, try Shock Top Raspberry Wheat. thats where i got the idea from. its a great "end of summer" beer

if you ever see it in the grocery store, try Shock Top Raspberry Wheat. thats where i got the idea from. its a great "end of summer" beer

My best friend actually works for Bud (which distributes Shocktop) and hes been trying to get me some of the raspberry wheat. He says everyone raves about it, and I'll try anything once... afterall you never know until you taste it right?

Ran out of Cocoa Porter, so tonight, if I get time, THIS is my next choice....

The chill of a Colorado high-country winter calls for a beer with extra flavor and warming characteristics. Here it is. Breck Brew's Christmas Ale. At over 7% alcohol, with a sturdy texture and rich flavors of caramel and chocolate, our holiday seasonal is the fermented equivalent of a good fire.

The ultimate winter warmer.

xmashead.gif

Beer Style: American Style Strong Ale

Flavor: Full-bodied, apparent warming caramel flavor with medium hop character

Yeast: Top Fermenting Ale Yeast

Malts: Two Row Pale, Caramel, Chocolate, Black

Hops: Chinook, Mt. Hood

Color: Mahogany/Brown

Bitterness Units: 22

Alcohol By Volume: 7.4%

Alcohol By Weight: 5.92%

Availability: November - December

Why not keep the winter theme going?

Mook, did you try any of Mad Anthony's brews while you guys were in Auburn?

Nick,

Whilst in Auburn, I had a lot of Sammy Summer and Bud Light :D

I wasn't yet into this micro kick, half thanks to this thread! I did have some Apricot, 8-9% White Ale while I was there, and it was pretty okay!

I miss that city...:(

My best friend actually works for Bud (which distributes Shocktop) and hes been trying to get me some of the raspberry wheat. He says everyone raves about it, and I'll try anything once... afterall you never know until you taste it right?

Just an FYI, if you can get Abita in your area, their Purple Haze is a raspberry wheat as well (and it is not seasonal).

then i bet he has tried to get you to try Wild Blue, also. its a Blueberry Lager, 260 calories, 8% ABV. its a great "dessert" beer

Results from the Breck Christmas Ale:

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Maybe not quite as good as the Cocoa Porter, but WOW do I love this stuff. Comes in magnums also, but only during December!

Mook