Customer Service 866.965.0400

Are you as selective with your maintenance as you are your paint?

LFairbanks

All of us on here are obviously very selective on the product and techniques that we use when keeping our rides clean. I was wondering though how many of you take it a step further and are that way when it comes to your maintenance and repairs?

For me I do all my own maintenance and repair. I am selective on what oil, I use. I don't go to those oil change places. I really don't trust them. Any replacement part or filter I either use a factory item or do my homework. Where I purchase my gas I'am picky about as well. I won't go to 7-11. Every vehicle I have owned I have always purchased the factory manuals. They are a bit more pricey, but they are very detailed. I take the time to torque everything back to what the manual calls for. This is probably one of the most helpful information items I find in the factory manuals, as opposed to a Chilton or the like. I will even go to the extent of buying special tools necessary to do the job. I rotate my tires every time I change my oil as well.

Just was curious if anybody else is the same, or am I just OCD? :willy:

I'm OCD, but not like that. My father's a mechanic, so I've always been around cars. If I have any issues, I go to his shop and fix it with his help. Gas, I usually go to Shell or Gate. Nothing else unless I'm almost to E and nothing else around.

Chris, I am the very same way, I do all of the maintenance on my cars, use Mobil 1 syn. oil use Mopar or AC filters. Use only oem parts, rotate my own tires. In 35 years I have never paid anyone to change my oil or rotate my tires, I don't even let the dealership do my free oil change when I buy a new car.

So you are normal!;) Aren't we?:D

I started young 15 when it comes to washing and waxing of the family cars.

I do as much of the maintenance as I can at this time now 64 years young. I do have 3 years/36,000 free oil and filter changes, I bring my own oil and watch it being put in. No dealer car wash W/dealer installed scratches and swirls.

I started young 15 when it comes to washing and waxing of the family cars.

I do as much of the maintenance as I can at this time now 64 years young. I do have 3 years/36,000 free oil and filter changes, I bring my own oil and watch it being put in. No dealer car wash W/dealer installed scratches and swirls.

Chris, you are not alone. :grouphug: Historically I've been more meticulous about the mechanical end of things on my vehicles than I have been about the perfection of the finish. I've always kept them looking great, but not to the extent that the Adams line allows. I do everything possible that I can in terms of maintenance and repair. Oil changes and tire rotations are on time, and done with the utmost care. No shop will ever care about my vehicles the way I do. I go a step further and have regular oil analysis done at Blackstone Laboratories to stay on top of any issues that may be creeping up.

Some would probably call me crazy, but I've come to trust a local reputable tire shop and have one guy in that I will allow to mount tires on my wheels. I'll wait an extra hour for him to be free if I have to, but I know he will not mark or damage the wheels any way. I still don't understand why many tire shops and personell think that minor damage while swapping tires is normal! :loser:

Coolant changes, brake fluid changes, transfer case fluid changes, differential and transaxle fluid changes, as well as transmission fluid/filter changes and other routine maintenace that is often ignored until there is a problem are all taken care of properly and on schedule on my vehicles.:D

All of this effort gives me long vehicle life and easy resale. As an example I just sold our Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with 219,000 miles on it. It still ran strong and looked great, and it sold within 2 days of setting it out for sale.

I'm not quite as picky, but almost.

-I do much of my maintenance: oil, spark plugs, filters, brake pads/rotors. -I have done some suspension work, but generally leave that for the professionals. Same goes for the electricals.

-I've replaced a radiator, and am going to replace the timing belt on the A8 over Christmas, so that will be my biggest DIY to date.

-I don't go to Jiffy Lube type places.

-I don't go to crap gas stations unless I'm stuck on fumes while on a trip.

-I get the 'Bentleys' manuals for my Audis, buy the special tools, and frequent Audi forums to ask questions on DIY issues.

-I get my tires rotated regularly by Discount tire since it's free, but often do it myself or at least verify the torque settings when I get home.

-I've gotten a DIY procedure 'published' on an Audi forum for a common part failure and replacement (washer fluid tank pump on the A4/S4).

-There are just a couple of Audi repair shops I trust, and one dealer. I make friends with the mechanics and usually go back in the bays with them to review the issues and 'see it for myself'.

I'm probably more OCD about maintenance than I am with my paint. My father's a mechanic, my little brother's a mechanic, and I'm a marine engineer, so I've been turning wrenches and working on engines my entire life. I actually took my car back to the dealer for the first time ever today, but that's because it had a recall on the airbag programing. I also had them check out a CEL while I was there, but that's only because it's still under warranty and I didn't want to pay for the part. It was still hard turning the car over to someone else, especially when I already knew exactly what the problem was. As far as oil changes and installing mods, I do all that myself. I did have a performance exhaust shop install my Corsa, but that's only because my regular floor jack at the time wouldn't fit under the G8 and I was getting impatient with the stock sound. I've since gotten Race Ramps and a low-profile jack so that I don't have that problem anymore.

One of the first thing I bought for my car were these:

PA010001-2.jpg

The information in them is invaluable and I'll even read them sometimes if I'm just bored. :loser:

I love this quote from Dana-"No shop will ever care about my vehicles the way I do." That is so true. :thumbsup:

We maintenence all of our own vehicles except for my Charger. My husband hates my MOPAR. He is a true GM/Chevy guy and wants me to trade it in and get a Camaro. That will happen only when the bug bites me and it hasn't yet.

This is a very interesting thread. Just goes to show you that at some point we are all alike. :2thumbs:

I do the oil/oil filter/tire changes & rotation/lubricant flush & changes/brakes/shocks and all other things similar on all six of our vehicles.

I'm picky with the parts I use so I next to never trust a third party to install the parts I want.... too many horror stories.

Anything other, it's a [trusted/reputable] dealership or a close family friend who is brilliant at what he does..... just very hard to get a hold of becuase he's in such regular/high demand.

I do as much as I can (or as time permits) but when I can't I only go to shops where I have personal connections and people I know I can trust to do the job right b/c if they didn't they know I'd kill them and bury the bodies where they'd never be found :D

Exactly. If I have to take it in to the dealer for something, I take it all the way to where I bought it instead of a closer dealership. Because where I got it, they care, and it shows.

I will research a ton about a place before I make a decision for something as simple as cutting a resonator off :lol: Like Dylan, if I don't know the people, chances are they aren't touching my SS.

I'm with you 100%. I have the factory service manuals and twist my own wrenches as often as possible, unless it requires ridiculously specialized tools. I only use AC Delco replacement parts because I know they are calibrated properly (learned that the hard way). Mobil1 fluids, etc. I've rebuilt my Corvette's motor, replaced it's transmission, rebuilt the brakes, and prepped the car the RIGHT WAY for paint. At the end, I have an overwhelming sense of satisfaction knowing I did the job and I did it right. Helps that the Corvette isn't a DD.

My philosophy is this: if its already broken, I might as well try to fix it. If I cant fix it, then I'm not any further in the hole then when I started.

I am very picky when it come to Gas Chevron/Texaco and Shell are the only gas stations I go to. IMO Chevron is the best but I put Shell in my truck because I get 10 cents off a gallon. I shop at Fred Myer (owned by Frys) and for every $100 a spend I get 10 cents off my next fill up. I could use there cheap nasty gas or fill up with the good stuff and get the same deal.

When I moved away from my hometown I changed my own oil, but now that Im back I have free lifetime oil changes at my local dealership. They guy who changes my oil was a buddy of mine from High School and I trust him.

When it come to brakes, tires, tire rotation, and batteries I only go to Les Shwab which is a tire chain all over OR, WA, ID, MT and parts of NV, CA, AK, and UT. They are the best and If they do something wrong you bet you butt they will make it right. They are more expensive than some places but just like Adams you get what you pay for in a good way.

I'm with you 100%. I have the factory service manuals and twist my own wrenches as often as possible, unless it requires ridiculously specialized tools. I only use AC Delco replacement parts because I know they are calibrated properly (learned that the hard way). Mobil1 fluids, etc. I've rebuilt my Corvette's motor, replaced it's transmission, rebuilt the brakes, and prepped the car the RIGHT WAY for paint. At the end, I have an overwhelming sense of satisfaction knowing I did the job and I did it right. Helps that the Corvette isn't a DD.

My philosophy is this: if its already broken, I might as well try to fix it. If I cant fix it, then I'm not any further in the hole then when I started.

Rarely the case.

You can easily, and people quite often do, screw things up even more so by attempting to repair something that's broken that you have NFC about.

Then, when you want it repaired by a professional, you're paying two-fold compared to what you may have the first time around because you made the original matter a lot worse.

Like I said, I've seen and heard of this many, many times.

I am very picky when it come to Gas Chevron/Texaco and Shell are the only gas stations I go to. IMO Chevron is the best but I put Shell in my truck because I get 10 cents off a gallon. I shop at Fred Myer (owned by Frys) and for every $100 a spend I get 10 cents off my next fill up. I could use there cheap nasty gas or fill up with the good stuff and get the same deal.

When I moved away from my hometown I changed my own oil, but now that Im back I have free lifetime oil changes at my local dealership. They guy who changes my oil was a buddy of mine from High School and I trust him.

When it come to brakes, tires, tire rotation, and batteries I only go to Les Shwab which is a tire chain all over OR, WA, ID, MT and parts of NV, CA, AK, and UT. They are the best and If they do something wrong you bet you butt they will make it right. They are more expensive than some places but just like Adams you get what you pay for in a good way.

I'm with you.

I [almost] always fill-up with nothing other than Shell..... at least nine times out of ten.

It's only when I'm in a jam that I'll put something else into any of our rides.

I will never touch BP.... ever! I've had issues in the past [maybe in more detail for another thread]

I ran out of fuel a few years ago about 1/4 mile from a BP in my Goat. Rainy and overcast Sunday afternoon in Sth Carolina on a main strip. I walked past the BP for a little more than another mile and filled my container up at a Shell and walked back.

My wife was waiting in the car and, upon my return, asked why I went past the first gas station to the one that was further. I gave her the rundown about two vehicles in the past that were directly tied to my selection/grade of fuel.

Rarely the case.

You can easily, and people quite often do, screw things up even more so by attempting to repair something that's broken that you have NFC about.

Then, when you want it repaired by a professional, you're paying two-fold compared to what you may have the first time around because you made the original matter a lot worse.

That may be the case with people that don't know what their doing. Chances are, if your into what I consider "Depot" level maintanance like re-building engines, re-building transimissions and wet sanding entire vehicles. Then you have more knowledge and mechanical ability than 99.9% of the people out there. Chance as are, he has as much knowledge as "the professionals" out there.

I've always said, anyone has the capbility to do anything. BUT, the key is are you able to correct your mistakes with confidence? When you hit that roadblock, the step that's not in the manual, do you have what it takes to get past it. Thats what makes people good. I'm speaking of the DIY's.

I am a bit less OCD as some. I prefer to do the work myself on a lot of things. I do my research, read the manuals, watch the videos, and learn the best way to do something before I start. i.e., yesterday i spent 3 hours researching a repair to my Sky and 20 minutes doing it. But I did it right the first time and cheaply. As for oil, I have not changed my own oil at home since I was 16. I take my car to one specific shop for all my maintenence that is not warrenty. Luckily the shop owner was an usher at my wedding, so in fact I do change my own oil, I just use his 10-minute oil change shop.

It's really bad, I had my dryer stop last night, so to day it's off the the appliance warehouse to buy some parts to fix the dryer not wanting to light!!! I don't pay anyone!! My house has a new roof, new kitchen, new bathroom, new baseboard heat, and all new construction(not replacement crap) Anderson windows in my house and the only thing that I didn't do was the granite counter tops!! And thats because they wouldn't let me:lolsmack:

I love wrenching on a cars!!! Nothing like busting knuckles!!

I do my own routine maintenance on the wife’s car as well as mine, brakes fluid changes ect...As for the bigger procedures? I went to mechanics school for that, and know better!! "How not to over pay for anything and let someone else break there back fixing the Tran’s or clutch!!

:lolsmack:

It's all about who you know, and one thing that really pays off, is paying in cash, cash is king in the automotive industry. There are very intelligent and willing people who will do it for half the cost. Never had any problems with this way of thinking..

:rockon:

Well, About 7 years ago (before i could drive) my mom took her yukon to a new town dealer down the road. I warned her to atleast go to jiffy lube or the GM dealer. I crawled under before she left and found the oil filter. When she got back i crawled back under and noticed the oil filter was the same. I had put a sharpy mark on the filter and steel so i would know if it had been turned...and sure enough it hadnt. After my dad getting the money back from the shotty dealer they were going to take it to gm dealer like they always had, but i asked my dad if i could learn on it. He said fine.

I went to google and found out how, ever since that point ive done all the maintenance on all the vehicles in my house except for the Audi's. I rotate the tires my self. The only thing i dont do are major repairs and brakes (i tried it once, that was near a disaster)

The new A6 will have its maintenance done by me though...

When i had my 06 R53 Mini my x best friend and I put an exhaust on it (easy) and put a 15% reduction pulley on the super charger. This would be an easy job but mini tucked the super down into the engine bay so we literly had to unbolt the engine from the chassis and raise it 6" to get to the blower....He thought it was easy, i was sweating bullets the whole time. Most mechanically challenging/nervracking thing i have ever done in my life :lolsmack:

Rarely the case.

So what about people who take things apart that aren't even broken yet?

PA140006.jpg

PA140009.jpg

PA070001.jpg

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0525.jpg

DSC_0527.jpg

DSC_0347.jpg

DSC_0582.jpg

Exhaustports.jpg

P8260007.jpg

Archived