Customer Service 866.965.0400

What to use on here?

ChargerMatt

Question

13 answers to this question

Can you pop the pins and take it off? I know you can buy new pins at Lowes if you break any. Most likely it's made with what most of them are made of ....... pressed fibers in layers. And it will fall apart if you soak it. So best advice is to use a good brushing and vacuum. And then maybe spot clean it with some diluted APC. But whatever you do, don't rub hard. Those things will separate real easy.

Rich is correct. The outside layer is pretty stable, but underneath they will just fall apart if you soak them. When I did my wifes van, I soaked it, lightly scrubbed it, and attempted to dry it with the Master Blaster. It was virtually impossible to to get all the water out, it just kept dripping. Eventually I tried taking it off and it just basiclly fell apart in my hands.

I researched the crap on whether the liners are needed or not, and I couldn't find one spec of evidence that removing it would damage the paint. Bear in mind, it's on a Dodge Minivan, that at Temp., may be running about ~190 give or take. Well it's been 6 months and I have no issues up until this point. I asked my wife if it was louder, she said no. I've heard they are for engine bay fires, but I highly doubt that theory. When was the last time you heard of an engine catching on fire? Exactly.

If you do get it wet, I would just let the engine heat dry it out, and take Rich's advice on the cleaning.

This 1994 GM hood liner has fiberglass insulation sandwiched between two pieces of thin cloth material.

IMG_4072resize.jpg

I pulled the plastic pins out, removed the liner, layed it flat on the driveway and soaked it with clear water from the hose until the water ran clear out of the liner. I layed it out for a week to dry completely. I did not scrub or brush it as it seemed very delicate and already had a torn spot. I misted it lightly with IUD.

IMG_4227resize.jpg

IMG_4228resize.jpg

I wouldn't run a dd without the insulating liner. It's there to protect the hood from the engines heat. Might not be bad right now, but in the summer with engine heat plus the heat from the sun? No!

This 1994 GM hood liner has fiberglass insulation sandwiched between two pieces of thin cloth material.

IMG_4072resize.jpg

I pulled the plastic pins out, removed the liner, layed it flat on the driveway and soaked it with clear water from the hose until the water ran clear out of the liner. I layed it out for a week to dry completely. I did not scrub or brush it as it seemed very delicate and already had a torn spot. I misted it lightly with IUD.

IMG_4227resize.jpg

IMG_4228resize.jpg

I wouldn't run a dd without the insulating liner. It's there to protect the hood from the engines heat. Might not be bad right now, but in the summer with engine heat plus the heat from the sun? No!

That looks like it turned out great man. I think that's what I'm going to do. I only have to drive ~60 miles this week so I'll take my chances with subzero temperatures hah.

One thing though, what is IUD?

I don't know Chris, the liners are actually pretty delicate and I don't think it'd hold up to a brush and detergent very well. I destroyed one a few years on a 2000 Grand Prix. It was so simple to remove it seemed worth it to be able to let it dry completely in the sun.

Archived