Customer Service 866.965.0400

Painting wheels vs Powder Coating

Frid

Am in the process of deciding whether to get my rims painted or powder coated. I called 2 different places and they gave me the same price for both. I've heard pros and cons to each and want to hear what you all thinks. Thanks in advance.

You will be fine powder coating them. The powder coat can be color matched as well as paint but the powder coat will last much longer. As for the heat if the are a good quality aftermarket or OEM wheel you should have no problems.

Powder coating is the way to go. It is a lot more durable and will hold up better than a painted wheel. The oven that they bake the coating in reaches 1,200 degrees which is perfectly safe for steel wheels. About everything I've ever sandblasted and redone the finish on I have had powder coated. You wont regret it. I promise.

I was in this position when I was trying to decide what way to go with my TBSS wheels... after seeing the powdercoat on a bunch of others I began to realize that there is no way for powdercoat to have the same look/shine/depth of paint so I opted for paint. Its not that they looked bad, just that next to my paint they looked much more dull/lifeless and you really can't bring those aspects out in PC. It doesn't polish up like paint does.

I wanted the wheels to be a perfect match for the rest of the paint so I had them shoot the wheels in the exact same way, with factory color and clear.

So long as you care for them very well its not a concern, its not like PC resists chipping or curb-age so unless you're just doing a bad job of washing the added durability on a road car seems somewhat moot.

No PC'd wheels have ever had the same shine as my painted ones did:

DSC_4989.jpg

DSC_4992.jpg

The car is red and I'm pretty sure that I won't be getting them colored red lol. I have flat black vinyl stripes on them so I was going to go with that color for the wheels. I found a picture of someone's maro on camaro5 and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with PC now.

camaroPC.jpg

I would go powder coat just for the durability factor. You should be able to get them powder coated gloss black and they should look great. But Dylan is right, they still wont be as shinny as paint. But Dylan also had a black vehicle and even gloss powder coated wheels would just not look as shinny compared to a black vehicle. Now yours is red so I think the gloss black would be shinny enough.

Personally In my vehicle I would go Powder coar gloss black, but I have a truck and it get dirty and goes off road a bit, and I need the durability. With a Camaro durability is not as important because Im pretty sure you dont bump over curbs and go on dirt roads etc...

Im going to Plasti-dip my wheels this winter (i have winter wheels on now) so I can decide if I actually want black rims or not. If I dont want black rims I will just peel the plasti-dip off

The car is red and I'm pretty sure that I won't be getting them colored red lol. I have flat black vinyl stripes on them so I was going to go with that color for the wheels.

Makes sense... if its not going to match the body color then yea... no reason to sweat the difference between PC or paint... go with the powdercoat.

Will be getting them PC'd this week. They are charging me 450 to do all 4. It was the same price to get them painted. Unfortunately one guy I know (Richard Wright for those of you who know him) only does painting so I have to take it to someone else I've known for a while. Hopefully I can get them back before I go back to Korea.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a place that does wheels that I was looking into and they said that they painted their wheels, because the paint was more flexable than PC, it might be an issue if you planned on taking your car to the track or something like that, stating that is why race teams usally don't run chrome plated wheels. JFYI

Archived