Customer Service 866.965.0400

I think I messed up...

DieHardBattery

Question

Long story short, went to the dragstrip the other night, had fun, did a few runs. The next morning, I started washing, not knowing about the tar/rubber buildup you get in your wheel wells from burning out :burnout:

I used my brand new merino wool pad and jumbo pad to wash, and this stuff got all in them and it won't come out. :eek: I tried putting them through the washer on delicate cycle, and air dry in the dryer. Did I ruin them?

That was the last area of the car I did, so I think any damage to the paint is minimal. It's a black car.

p1080152.jpg

p1080153.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

20 answers to this question

for inside the wheel wells, i would liberally spray on a fresh coat of UCS. that stuff makes them really slick, almost like wax. so it will make clean up as easy as using a pressure washer to get most of it off followed by APC and a fender brush for the rest of it. getting any leftover rubber out of the nylon bristles in the fender brush will be much easier than the wash mitt!

That would protect the fender, but I still got it all over the inside of the wheel well.

You could try a plastic razor blade or some other plastic scrapper for the wheel wells. I have good luck removing road paint with them.

next time you wash your car... use the merino wool pad on the top half only, and the standard wash mitt on the bottom half. this tip is in the instructional videos. Instructional Detailing Videos (always use 2 buckets and 2 separate wash mitts... thats what the 2 bucket wash is for, no matter what your cleaning)

next time you go to the drag strip, carry a wide roll of blue painters tape. tape off the fender behind the wheel BEFORE making your runs. before you go home, remove the tape and all that rubber magically comes off.

don't feel bad about it, there's plenty of guys here that will admit to screwing something up while detailing. i got some road tar on one of my wash pads, from underneath my truck's running boards. i tried getting it out, but ended up having to throw it away.

I had seen someone do that with the painters tape once before. Now I know why LOL. That would protect the fender, but I still got it all over the inside of the wheel well.

I did the 2 bucket, 2 mitt thing, but I guess in a moment of desperation, I had used my hand to scoop most of the stuff off the fender, then was going to use the mitt to get the rest. Not a good idea.

next time you wash your car... use the merino wool pad on the top half only, and the standard wash mitt on the bottom half. this tip is in the instructional videos. Instructional Detailing Videos (always use 2 buckets and 2 separate wash mitts... thats what the 2 bucket wash is for, no matter what your cleaning)

next time you go to the drag strip, carry a wide roll of blue painters tape. tape off the fender behind the wheel BEFORE making your runs. before you go home, remove the tape and all that rubber magically comes off.

don't feel bad about it, there's plenty of guys here that will admit to screwing something up while detailing. i got some road tar on one of my wash pads, from underneath my truck's running boards. i tried getting it out, but ended up having to throw it away.

I agree with the ones that said to throw them out. Those are probably beyond repair. As for the car itself, a pressure washer will most likely get the rubber off if it hasnt been sitting for awhile. If not a claybar will be the other alternative.

I have some 3M adhesive remover... But it just so happens I am getting a custom 2 tone paint job done in the next couple weeks and that's one of the areas to be painted... lucky me LOL

<sigh> I hated to throw those mitts out :(

Thanks for the advice everyone. :)

Whats the best way to clean that stuff off? The car I mean :)

Honestly, you can try APC, but I doubt it will work for serious tar build-up but it may.

If it doesn't....

Use Stoner Tarminator...fantastic stuff, paint safe, and it's $4.

If that doesn't work, 3M Adhesive Remover, paint safe, and it's also about $4.

All available at big box stores for cheap. You can also try them on your pad, with a thorough rinsing and APC wash afterwards.

I'd try a clay bar before going to APC.

I also wouldn't use a wash mit on the inside of a wheel well. That's what the fender brush is for.

The stuff that got caught in the mitt was on the fender, not the wheel well... I couldn't see it well enough because it was black on black, it was too late be the time I started wiping that area... I used a cheap MF mitt to clean the well, and all that stuff came off no problem. Wool I guess is different LOL

Archived