Customer Service 866.965.0400

What do you charge?

COBRA1993SVT

I did an 11hr Paint Correction on a 1993 Teal Cobra the other day and I wanted to charge the guy $280. I deducted for the broken fog light that shatttered when I was washing it. Wasnt going to bicker about whether it was my fault or just a 19 year old light.

I did the entire car also. Interior/motor/wheel wells and inside of wheels.

The guy freaked out saying hes never heard of such a high price and he could have had it done for $150. I would have like to see it after the $150 detail

As you can tell IM P....ed

I would next time, discuss and agree on a price before any work is performed. Even collect a deposit and have them sign an agreement.

Value is in the eye of the customer. You need to make sure you present what you want to do for them in a manner that will allow them to be okay with the prices you want to charge.

Call around to other area detail shops and see what they get for what you did.

I'm sure he can get it "detailed" for $150, but the results he would get from one of those jobs would certainly be less than perfect.

Normally when someone balks at my price quote, I gladly show them pictures of my work and tell them to call me when they decide they are unhappy with the cheap detail job.

OUCH, really!?

did you discuss price before you started? what that guy doesn't understand that for 150 gets you a hacked job and a wax. I was thinking when i was correcting my mini over the weekend i could never do this for less then $40 an hour. (BTW: Flex is AWESOME man!!)

I know its hard but you gotta come up with a number thats worth it to you that also cover's your material costs. You then stick to your guns. Also do packages wash/wax/vacuum for $150 Full correction 300 + additional $85 per additional polishing steps required etc.

Also put together packages that you can quickly rattle off the phone. This will also help weed out the $39 wax job people. Also put the sales cap on and explain what each package entails without making it sound too overly involved and they glaze over.

Since essential we are both in a luxury based business and live in the same area we have to treat these idiots like babies. I have gotten burned all too much by tire kickers and people thinking they can get a system installed for $99. I have put together packages and also charge a consultation fee for my time to come out and give an estimate. I also now charge for system design, i make sure they know that and it weeds out 95% of the junk/time wasters.

Our area is so weird, we have to treat them differently :lolsmack:

Detailing, IMHO, should be an hourly charge. $35 for basic detailing, $75 if sandpaper is involved.

No 2 vehicles are in the same condition, and hourly charges for detailing make good sense.

I would approach the customer like this, "Do you want the vehicle brought back to it's full potential, like new or better, or are you looking to get a cheap, quickie detail?"

In my 25 years of detailing, people that want cheap typically are not focused on excellence. Many times in my detailing business, I recommended an economy detail at the local car wash if a customer was looking to get away with a $100 or $150 job. That was in the 80's and 90's!

Sometimes, people want to check off a "To-do" list, and "get car waxed" is on that list. That is why the local car wash or quickie detail shops exist, and trust me, they get the lion's share of the detailing business!

I focused on the small percentage of customers who expected, and were willing to pay for excellence. If I wasn't pleased with the job, no amount of money would be worthwhile.

I remember like it was yesterday, a customer with a 'brand new' black 1986 MBZ 560SL. She had to run off to an appointment in her car, and I hadn't gone over it completely. Her name was Suzanne. The bumpers weren't dressed, the inside of the windows were not done, and the chrome wheels were not polished. Still, she just 'had to go' and I literally lost sleep over it.

My bad, as I didn't tell her how long the car would be needed. I came back and re-detailed the car the following weekend free, just to clear my conscious! She was impressed.....to say the least.

One of my favorite sayings:

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin

I would next time, discuss and agree on a price before any work is performed. Even collect a deposit and have them sign an agreement.

Value is in the eye of the customer. You need to make sure you present what you want to do for them in a manner that will allow them to be okay with the prices you want to charge.

Call around to other area detail shops and see what they get for what you did.

:iagree:

Great topic about pricing... I am working on this right now too.

Doing a complete walk around the car and discussion with the client pointing out the various things that you can do and then getting the client to agree to what you will be doing and what it will cost will set expectations for both you and the client. This walk around is also a good time to educate the client in what you do different from the competition and how to properly care for their car. You should get a good sense of what the client values and tailor your walk-around/impromptu education to that level or just one step beyond where they are today.

:cheers:

I spent most of last week approaching local small dealers and brokers to drum up new business. I was truely amazed at what some of them expected from a "detailing." Each one asked how much I charge and my stock answer is that it depends on how thrashed the vehicle is, its size, and what your expectations are. Then I tell them what an average detail costs for my customers. I do give a discount for dealers and brokers because they bring more business than an individual owner.

One potential customer stated he wanted all of his cars to have a full polishing with paint correction, shampooing of all of the carpets, and engine steam cleaning for $85 and he strickly told me he would not pay more. That would not even come close to covering my costs. I respectfully stated that I am sorry we can't do business then.

Other than what has been said already, never underestimate the value of educating your clients or potential clients. I have managed to get more business by simply taking the time to teach a potential client about the process (the plastic bag and clay bar test is a great sales tool). Once they know how much work is involved and they see how knowledgeable I am, they are more impressed and willing to open up thier wallets for quality.

I think Adam's assessment on hourly charging is dead on. I base anything I do with $35/hour in mind. For the OP, $400 would not have been unreasonable for the work you completed, IMHO, and that is low-balling it.

There are only three ways to get something: cheap, quality, and now. Pick two.

Im thinking of making a portfolio of the cars Ive done but it seem weird. YOU can be sure I'll never put myself in that postion again. I'm going to very carefully explain what it getting done before I even start. If the dont like my price the Im ahead of the game because I didnt waste any of my time:xfingers:

Im not a formal pro but when i do cars i charge 35 for wash 45 for wash and wax, 100 for wash clay and wax and 150 for what amounts to shr multi passes as needed fmp wax. I work til the swirls are out but dont touch deep scratches. At 150 its either a deal or im a cheapie detailer. I tell everyone the price upfront and establish their expectations up front. I tell them if its real bad and they want it done right its an extra 25 bucks an hour. For trucks its an extra 25 bucks at the clay and wash level and polishing levels. I havent had a customer yet drive away thinking anything other than he got a sweet deal. Im no pro though so i'm not comfortable charging 250 - 350 bucks. Eitherway though i establish the projected cost up front. Oh i tack on 35 more to do the interior.

Im thinking of making a portfolio of the cars Ive done but it seem weird. YOU can be sure I'll never put myself in that postion again. I'm going to very carefully explain what it getting done before I even start. If the dont like my price the Im ahead of the game because I didnt waste any of my time:xfingers:

Dont underestimate the power of an IPAD. if you want i could drop by sometime and show you how i put together my portfolio on my ipad. by the third picture its "where" do i sign. and im opening up a new app to sign & then open up another one to accept the CC.

The Ipad has singlehandedly helped me close jobs in the first meeting, before I would have a hard time doing so.:thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
Dont underestimate the power of an IPAD. if you want i could drop by sometime and show you how i put together my portfolio on my ipad. by the third picture its "where" do i sign. and im opening up a new app to sign & then open up another one to accept the CC.

The Ipad has singlehandedly helped me close jobs in the first meeting, before I would have a hard time doing so.:thumbsup:

Great idea!!:thumbsup:

something i would like to do in life is drop my ride off at the Adam's headquarters and have a full blown detail done. always wondered the price on that.

It would be high....but not Paul Dalton high, hahaha.

I would like to do that to, but I enjoy doing it myself to much. Plus, one day, I WILL be that good. I'm putting the time in, and have no doubts that someday I'll put all the pieces together to match that of the masters.

Bunch of great info here. I do some detailing here, but nothing pro like. Just did a Honda Civic, 2011. Lady works with my wife. It is a lease car, just wanted to have it washed, and Interior cleaned. Nothing fancy. Took all of an hour and 15 min. 45.00 later and she was thrilled. I did not do the Ole 2-Bucket. Due to her needing the car back within 2 hours after dropping it off. The car has been thru the car wash at the gas stations. No wax on it.. I went ahead and did the tires, touched up the engine real fast,, thanks to In and out Spray. Got the black parts of the Grill, Windows, good vacuum, all the doors and dash wiped down. She was more than happy. Now wants me to do their Jeep Liberty. But wants waxed and all.

What started with just a simple quick wash and quick clean of the interior, after a few quick free upgrades got me another car. They have a another car that needs some more detailed work. Swirls and all. Told here honestly I am working on getting to the stage of machine polishing. Soon as I get the PC down, then I will tackle that deal.

Bottom line,, quickie detail,, 45.00, not much material used. A little extra effort on my side will get me some more work. Get some time on the PC before jumping up to Paint correction.

But it is challenging to figure out a pricing scale. This is a retirement area, lots of new cars and golf carts galore. But also alot of scam artist. Watched a mobile service the other day detailing a car with the wind blowing and dust everywhere.. just a waxing away. could imagine the swirls they were creating.

Good post Gary.....I offer the same at my place. 35.00 hand wash and dry for cars, more for larger stuff. That gets you a two bucket wash, compressor blows off excess water from cracks and crevices, hand dry with Detail Spray as drying agent, exterior glass, VRT on tires. Most people are blown away by that process and usually that evolves into discussing a full detail and/or sales of products, especially since they usually stand around and BS while watching me work. I've got a captive audience to market my services for an hour or so. I'll add a coat of Buttery or Brilliant Glaze for usually 10 or 15 bucks more. I won't even plug a machine in for less that a couple hundred bucks!

- Darryl

:lol: We currently do not detail out of the Warehouse. That may or may not change in the future...

Just too busy around there! Pretty much 4-6 people filling, labeling, topping, packing, shipping each order...it's amazing how efficient Jean, Guapo, Chris, Mario, (and sometimes when she has time to help) Patti!

I have always been a fan of bringing pictures. iPads are great for this because of the screen size, and also the other things you can do with one. I have one on my radar.

something i would like to do in life is drop my ride off at the Adam's headquarters and have a full blown detail done. always wondered the price on that.

Drive or send it on up! I will personally do the job, as long as it's February or March.

I will charge $75/hr, and will need the vehicle for a week. Good stuff?

I do a pretty good job. ;)

Drive or send it on up! I will personally do the job, as long as it's February or March.

Does that apply to ALL of us? ;)

I'd think about taking THAT offer! :rockon::rockon::lolsmack:

haha nice ... I was actually thinking about that when I went to FLA over christmas ... drop the yukon off for 10 days and then oh how nice would it be to get off the plane and get into a fresh and clean vehicle .... in DECEMBER none the less.

7 days X 24 hours X $75 = WAY TOO MUCH for my budget. The car I would want tha done on isn't worth that much! ;)

Archived