Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wax Durability

07RS4

Question

Question before I hit the sack....

Does the detailing nut (us) really care about wax durability?

Was just thinking about this, because honestly, I could care less.

I will never find out how durable Buttery is, because I strip wash and apply it WAY before the buttery has a chance at wearing off. That's why I like keeping a detailing record, to ensure I wax as often as possible;)

Do you guys really care how durable buttery or Americana is? Just curious.

22 answers to this question

Good points guys. Weather, if it's your ride or someone elses that your trying to protect all play a factor. I just enjoy waxing the rides so much, I'm sure I never reach the end of the longevity of the wax. But I can see why someone of you in harsher weather climates would be concerned about longevity.

Here in NorCal..it rains December through February, and then there's usually not a cloud in the sky for nine months, and no winters (snow), so I'm lucky in that aspect.

Thanks for all your inputs...I was just curious because I see so many wax's have selling points of their durability, but in my personal situation, it's not a factor in whether I buy it or not. Just wondered if it played a factor for the other detail nuts out there.

I spent 9 hours giving my wife's Highlander the works ( clay-polish, 2 coats MSW, Americana and glaze)..... her response " my car sure smells good"; she likes the smell of under carriage spray. So hers gets the works 2 to 3x's a a year ; where as mine gets a fresh coat of Americana and glaze every other month. Every other month the water still beads up like a pack of BBs but it still gets waxed & glazed - durability is not really an issue.

I will never find out how durable Buttery is, because I strip wash and apply it WAY before the buttery has a chance at wearing off. That's why I like keeping a detailing record, to ensure I wax as often as possible;)

Yeah, I do. I haven't gotten a chance to see the durability of the wax yet either, but it's due to not having fully corrected the paint yet. I either have days with rain, run out of daylight, or the weather is below freezing, so I've never had the time I really need to fully correct my paint. When I do, however, I will be glazing and waxing. At that point, I do care about how long my wax will last because the product is meant to be durable. Given that, it's not cost effective to strip off the wax before it's time is up. To me, it's like changing my oil thousands of miles earlier than necessary. Sure, it's not going to *hurt* anything if I change my oil every 2,000 miles, but it will be incurring an unnecessary expense. The durability of Adam's Americana is a great feature - it makes Waterless Wash a viable means of maintaining a great finish and saves time detailing. I'd rather be showing off my shiny ride than spending more time with it in the driveway. But that's just me.

IMHO, everyone participating in this thread needs to get hip to some Brilliant Glaze!

Here's what I do:

Situation 1 - My personal cars that are kept indoors and driven as toys. These get stripped only once or twice per year. After driving, they get wiped down with Waterless Wash, followed by Detail Spray. If i'm heading to an event or a show, out comes the Brilliant Glaze. :drool:

Situation 2 - My personal cars (and wife's daily) that are sometimes in/sometimes out and driven semi daily. These get stripped 3 to 4 times per year as "time permits'. The available time is where the problem occurs. I always use a sealer for this reason. I depend on longevity of such just in case I go longer between proper polishing. These vehicles get two bucket wash, and then a quick coat of Brilliant Glaze which keeps them looking like they've been freshly detailed. Once I see the wax and/or sealer begin to degrade, I know it's time for a re-do, but the BG keeps them looking good, and helps extend the protection just a little while longer if I'm too busy to deal with my own rides. The shoe maker's children always going barefoot syndrome!

And then there's Situation 3 - Customer cars get whatever they pay for..... :jester:

Buttery is a lot more durable than people give it credit for. Throwing a coat of that on every time you wash is more than adequate and as others have suggested, probably too much, too often. Also, keep in mind, if you don't have to do any polishing or paint correction, it's quick and easy enough to do an IPA wipe down to prevent building up layers of wax to avoid the potential for cloudiness to develop.

Hope that helps confuse everybody!

- Darryl

I never strip wash before I apply new wax I'll WW it. Or give it a 2 bucket wash.

Is strip washing required?

Depends on the situation, like mentioned.

If you're starting a fresh application of sealant, yes.... of if you've got some buildup going. Waxes do reach a point where too much of a good thing is bad... if you're a frequent waxer and you never strip the finish at a certain point the buildup will begin to cause a 'cloudy' or 'dull' look on the finish.

I typically strip my truck down 2x a year just b/c its ususally due to be started over around that time with all the testing and waxing I do on it.

no, unless you plan on using a sealant, and the car has a layer of wax still on it.

If I'm going to use a Sealant. I always clay and use Fine Machine Polish first. Which I was told removed the wax.

My car is a garage queen so even claying it is hardly necessary.

On the Colorado, yes. On the SS, no. The SS gets washed and waxed a lot more than the Colorado does and it gets driven a lot less than the Colorado does. The Colorado gets driven all year round in every type of weather there is, rain, sleet, snow, freezing rain, etc. Therefore, the more durable a wax is, the better. That way I don't have to keep reapplying it during the winter when it's freezing out. I just finished washing the Colorado on Wednesday and 4 weeks ago I had applied a coat of quick sealant under a coat of buttery and the paint is still super slick, even on the sides where there was a layer of salt sitting on it for 3 weeks. So I would say that for buttery wax being the "cheap" wax that Adam's offers, it is pretty durable.

This winter I have applied Americana after each wash. But still had a good coat of wax on it when I washed it last. I don't do much driving in the winter months. And have a heatable garage for washing and waxing. Our winter this year has not been to bad so far, knock on wood. Any time of the year it's good therapy to spend quality time waxing the cars.

I never strip wash before I apply new wax I'll WW it. Or give it a 2 bucket wash.

Americana can begin to haze if too many coats are applied. If you see hazing, the strip wash.

Good question??? what is the best mix for washing and stripping old wax off.

A few ounces of APC added to the Car Wash Soap, wash with Dawn, or an IPA wipe down - your choice.

Like Ryan said, it's not required. But I put a coat of wax on my vehicle pretty much every two bucket, which ends up being about every two weeks to a month I end up waxing the vehicle. Me personally...I like one or two fresh coats on clean paint...than layering it and not knowing how many coats are ont here. Basically, I like starting out on a clean slate when I do it....maybe me, but he, it's what I do.

There are many threads on how to do it, but:

Foam Gun: 3 oz APC, 3 oz Car Shampoo, 26 Oz water

Wash Bucket: 3 - 6 oz APC, 3 oz Car Shampoo, Water

I used to ask myself the same question but ever since moving out of my parent's house after college and moving to a place that doesn't have a garage it has definitely come into play since the period between washes is longer now and I really depend on something with lasting durability.

I am in the same boat,, as far as how long between wax applications. Only difference being, I have a bicycle that I ride back and forth to work. So the better half has the ride with all the attention. We got my daughter a G-6 now I have that one to work on.

I think I am on the wrong side here. :help:

Depends on the application.

On my stuff, no... I don't go very long between applications usually so I don't really need it to last much longer than a month or 2.

On my wifes ride, yes... the more durable the better. She drives a lot, and I care for her car much less than I do mine, so more protection is better.

good point here, on my own ride I enjoy taking care of it. the girlfriends car gets tons of miles put on and i rarely wash it. so it gets MSS.

Depends on the application.

On my stuff, no... I don't go very long between applications usually so I don't really need it to last much longer than a month or 2.

On my wifes ride, yes... the more durable the better. She drives a lot, and I care for her car much less than I do mine, so more protection is better.

during the winter yes I do, in the summer not as much, I try to do a strip and fresh coat every month. Buttery holds up awesome on my paint and the MSS and spraysealant has worked awesome all winter. I also care about it on my wheels so i go with mss on those

Archived