Customer Service 866.965.0400

GTO's Show Ready

BRZN

With only 667 miles since the last correction there wasn't a lot of work needed.

Two coats of Americana:

IMG_4544resize.jpg

Well over top a coat of Brilliant Glaze.

Oh wait, and a bit of prep and polish work. Reichler (Charlie Reichler) came over yesterday morning and we worked togther for about seven hours getting this paint to as close to 100% corrected as it's ever been.

Wednesday evening she got cleaned with WW and I stripped off all the wax. Thursday evening she got clayed. Friday night I put the wheels back on, took her off the jack stands, taped her up and I took care of the worst areas: the sides below the belt line with the FLEX using the orange pad with SHR followed by the white pad and FMP still with the FLEX. There was still some VRT on the trim around the windows. The green and yellow tape stuck a bit better than blue, but I was still left with some polish residue in places I really didn't want it.

IMG_4513resize.jpg

I got started Saturday morning before Charlie showed up and did most of the tight areas that required the flip pad with SHR followed up with Revive hand polish as well as the PC and the 4" focus pad. I was probably at it an hour and a half before he showed up. We then decided our plan of attack: He worked the FLEX XC3401 with a white pad and FMP while I tried to stay ahead of him using the PC and the 4" pads to remove any individual scratches or marks I could find, a few times an orange pad with SHR was needed but most times I could get them out with just the white pad and FMP on the PC. Only one place did I have to pull out the drill and use the 4" green pad with SSR to remove a scratch.

The couple marks at the top are reflections from the flash

IMG_4537resize.jpg

There's no scratches here:

IMG_4530resize.jpg

Due to the size of my garage I had to turn the car around to get the rear end. Charlie took this video:

Dave's 2006 GTO - YouTube

Getting ready to move her

LSGarageresize.jpg

Ready to start the rear once the door's closed again, cold and windy day out there

CarandMeresize.jpg

She came out looking real nice

IMG_4521resize.jpg

IMG_4522resize.jpg

IMG_4523resize.jpg

IMG_4540resize.jpg

IMG_4529resize.jpg

:glasses:

Our goal was all out perfection and think we achieved it. I believe the tag team of the Flex coupled with 4" pads on the PC is the ultimate way to tackle a car when you're aiming for nothing less than perfection.

This car is going to win some awards this year...

Looking good Dave!!

Nice work. Since your rarely drive it and only 667 miles on the clock, I'm actually surprised it needed anything :)

With all those trophies though...I don't doubt your process or your logic :)

Go get 'em this year man!

Looking good Dave!!

Nice work. Since your rarely drive it and only 667 miles on the clock, I'm actually surprised it needed anything :)

With all those trophies though...I don't doubt your process or your logic :)

Go get 'em this year man!

I thought the same before I started.

I knew I'd incurred a couple/few marks since my last full correction in the fall of 2010 that needed addressed and there were two I'd not completely gotten out back then. At first I thought I'd just take care of the couple I knew were there, but after a thorough inspection I decided to hit the entire car with FMP and the Flex. The power of the Flex with just FMP is quite impressive. One thing Charlie noticed was that the cars finish looked much better after finishing with the Flex compared to the PC with the same FMP/white pad combo. The PC left a slight haze compared to the Flex leaving the surface completely clear, kinda' like a piece of hard candy!

I knew I needed to be a bit more aggressive below the belt line as I'd never completely corrected that area.

After all the wax was removed and she was clayed there were a lot more small scratches on the flat surfaces I wasn't aware of. My guess: while at shows I wipe her down with WW and/or DS, I'm probably causing the slight damage then, and yes, every now and then the California Scratcher, I mean Duster, is used. The BG and Americana must have actually filled a few of them in since I couldn't see them prior to claying (Thursday was just the second use of this bar and it was only used on the GTO in the fall of 2010). In the 2010 full correction BG had been applied over bare polished paint plus two coats of Americana, another coat or two of Americana had been applied during the show season last year and one more coat of BG over all that before the last show last fall.

Yesterday afternoon all the paint I could get to under the hood, the engine bay, deck lid, trunk jams, and door jams were hit with Quick Sealant. Looks like my wife works again tonight, so I'm planning on polishing out the Clear Bra when I'm done with work today.

:glasses:

If GTO's and G8's are in the same category at GM nats or any other show I may as well just stay home since I know Dave will be taking home the trophies this year! Talk about spotless.

Only 667 miles? Your tires will dry rot before they even get half way worn! :P

Different classes for G8's and GTO's Matt, you're safe from me.

Now, I'm not so sure about many more trophies. Yes, the paint is flawless, however with what I've done to the car in the past I'm in the modified class and I've done hardly any modifications the last two years. One daughter in College and another soon to be has eaten into my mod money.

I'm hoping the tires hold up even with age. Each fall they are cleaned and treated with VRT. I mean cleaned and treated like not many other tires. The fronts, backs and treads. They're then stored in a cool dark place in the basement, usually, until spring. Their filled with Nitrogen so there should be no condensation on the insides either.

If GTO's and G8's are in the same category at GM nats or any other show I may as well just stay home since I know Dave will be taking home the trophies this year! Talk about spotless.

Only 667 miles? Your tires will dry rot before they even get half way worn! :P

I don't think 667 total, I think its 667 since his last paint correction

I'm hoping the tires hold up even with age. Each fall they are cleaned and treated with VRT. I mean cleaned and treated like not many other tires. The fronts, backs and treads. They're then stored in a cool dark place in the basement, usually, until spring. Their filled with Nitrogen so there should be no condensation on the insides either.

You are a sick man my friend:glasses:

Archived