Customer Service 866.965.0400

Which Shines Better

TR6speed

Question

This question came up on the Corvette Forum. The OP was wondering what had the better shine or was there any difference at all between the standard color and the metallic colors.

I guess I will find out here next week, as I just went from a 2001 Torch Red Corvette to a 2007 Monterey Red Metallic.

What is the general feelings on this?

I know I did to change my signature.

11 answers to this question

Great question. I always think about this myself. They both do their own thing for me.

For example, I would rather have a standard black than a metallic black. I don't know why, but I just like the way standard black looks when it's properly corrected and then glazed up topped of with some Americana.:drool:

But when it comes to reds I would have a tough time choosing. That ZL-1 the Adam's Shine Crew just completed was everything I would want in a color. Depth, Shine and just pure perfection......and of course total FACE MELT. But other reds just looks so nice as if they are dripping wet.

Can't wait to see the others chime in on this. :thumbsup:

IMO the "reflectivity" is different on a metallic paint vs a non-metallic. On a non-metallic you can obtain more of a mirror like finish. The metallic finish creates a diffusion of the light and hence a different look or shine.

I think the metallic finishes make swirls a little harder to find or see, not impossible to see, just a little bit more difficult.

I think it comes down to your definition of "shine" and personal taste in what looks better. For me it depends on the car as to which looks better. Generally I like metallic better. It looks deeper and richer to me. As a result (and some of you may want to ban me for saying this) I am not a fan of Ferrari red! :willy:

And of course this means that I like Jack's new Crystal Red Vette more than his prior Torch Red Vette. But I liked both of them because they are both Vettes! :patriot:

:cheers:

IMO the "reflectivity" is different on a metallic paint vs a non-metallic. On a non-metallic you can obtain more of a mirror like finish. The metallic finish creates a diffusion of the light and hence a different look or shine.

I think the metallic finishes make swirls a little harder to find or see, not impossible to see, just a little bit more difficult.

I think it comes down to your definition of "shine" and personal taste in what looks better. For me it depends on the car as to which looks better. Generally I like metallic better. It looks deeper and richer to me. As a result (and some of you may want to ban me for saying this) I am not a fan of Ferrari red! :willy:

And of course this means that I like Jack's new Crystal Red Vette more than his prior Torch Red Vette. But I liked both of them because they are both Vettes! :patriot:

:cheers:

Actually it is Monterey Red, but they are both very close. I believe the Crystal Red is a shade lighter.

Wouldn't the metallic be "shinier" by definition because of all the reflections from the flakes?

I think in a way the non-metallic is more impressive when corrected because there's nowhere for imperfections to hide. But on the other hand, "ooooohhh, sparkly!":glasses:

For example, I would rather have a standard black than a metallic black. I don't know why, but I just like the way standard black looks when it's properly corrected and then glazed up topped of with some Americana.:drool:

you and i both man. My mini is actually metallic and i HATE it. it takes away from the depth of the black. its has just enough flek in it to "dull it" when shes clean she actually looks stunning on a bright *cloudy day* then when the sun comes out it looks like poo :rolleyes:

I feel like on black cars if they insist on making it metallic then it has got to be more metallic then base especially on black. Like my dads audi has so much metallic flek in it it changes colors and is awesome looking, lincoln also has an amazing pearl black which is incredible.

on other colors like blues and reds i feel like they need metalic :2thumbs:

Yep. The Crystal Red is lighter than the Monterey Red......a little brighter.

The Torch Red isn't a metallic color, so you wouldn't get the "sparkle" that you'll get from any metallic color. The Monty Red seems to have more brown in it than the Magnetic Red too.

Either way, you're upgrading your Vette and that's always a good thing. Congrats on the new ride. We'll be waiting for shined up pictures of your new baby. :cheers: