Customer Service 866.965.0400

How often do you wash? How long does it take?

Coderedpl

Question

Forgive me if this was posted somewhere else but I honestly googled, and searched around the forums for similar terms and have not found a topic dedicated specifically to the frequency of car washing, and the length of time.

This is probably because of the short words used in the search query.

1. So how often do you find yourself washing your car?

2. How long does it take you on average?

3. On average how many ounces of shampoo do you end up using per wash?

To start:

1. I figured out that I wash just about every week so far. Whenever I wanted to wash it more than that I end up not having the time to do it.

2. Taking into account set-up + clean up, it seems to take me about 1 hour 30 minutes, the wheels alone take out a good chunk of time. Simply washing 2 cars took me 3 hours =O

3. It seems to me that I use anywhere between 6oz or more of shampoo alone on each wash between foam gun and bucket. I might have to cut down a bit as I'm running out of shampoo quick :willy:

Am i doing something wrong here? :help:

25 answers to this question

1. Usually based upon how dirty it is. I wash more during spring / fall than summer.

2. 1.5 hrs - actual paint wash is fairly quick but it is drying (even with MB), cleaning jambs, and tires that can really add time.

3. Usually 3 gallons wash (0.5 oz Adams to gallon water). Usually left with 1 gallon left (barely cover the grit guard).

I wash less during the summer months due to the oppressive heat. For the other months I wash the daily driver usually every week and the vette will get washed after every outing and before being covered.

A wash on the daily driver will take me 2 hours. This wash is really more of a mini detail; vac interior and trunk, very thorough rinse, two bucket wash, rinse, pool rinse, blow dry crevices and wheels, detail spray/dry, clean door/trunk/hood jambs, wipe down interior, SVRT on plastic/tires and clean glass.

I use around 2-3 ozs of shampoo per wash. For awhile I was using foam but after working with this for a bit found that it wasn't needed for me, though I will use foam if I am wanting more therapy time. :)

I wash when they're dirty lol. Could never put a specific "frequency" on it. I do a 3 bucket wash every time, and on my pigs it takes an easy 3 hours for each wash, MAYBE 2 if I'm super hustlin' and they're not very dirty. I use 2-4oz. of shampoo based on how dirty they are, and I'm constantly refilling & "re-sudsing" the wash bucket as I go. :)

I wash about 2 times a week during the summer with waterless wash, takes about 10 to 15 minutes. During the winter I wash with the hose and bucket. Takes about 1 hour.

I wish

the weather wasn't so crappy here that will get your car filthy after a storm requiring a full wash.

I am with Dave and Al - 1.5 to 2 hours, when needed. I use 1 oz. of Car Shampoo to 2 gallons of water. For the foam gun I keep a pre-mixed solution at 6 oz. of Shampoo to 32 oz. of water - http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/tips-tricks/16281.htm.

How exactly do you measure the oz? I'm guessing using an empty regular bottle?

Looking at what you guys are writing I think I'm using too much shampoo. Are the numbers you guys posted the total for the buckets alone or does that include foam gun too?

I wash probably about once every two weeks, pretty dirty so a lot of shampoo, probably 4 oz. if i could put a number on it. Usually a mini detail when I wash so, clean tires, wheels and undercarriage first can take up to 1 hr. Use APC on each tire 2-4 times to get them clean. Wash process is quick but drying takes a while. SVRT on plastics, usually a re-application of glaze and wax. 4hrs for a quickie, and 6hrs taking my time

How exactly do you measure the oz? I'm guessing using an empty regular bottle?

Oxo mini measuring cup

1102640V3.jpg

or for larger measurements a warped Tupperware container

p10068153000_detail.jpg

Sorry, way to much of a Virgo to not measure :D

And remember, for the foam solution put most of the water in first! Add the soap, then rinse the measuring cup into the gallon container with the remaining water.

daily drivers, once a month. garage queens on an as needed basis. when i had my camaro i waterless washed it every friday just to get the dust off it before i took it out on the weekends.

my truck takes me about 1 1/2 hours, and cars take me about 1 1/4 hours. thats about 10 minutes getting the supplies out, 5 minutes at each wheel, 5 minutes getting buckets ready 15-25 minutes scrubbing, 15-25 minutes drying, 10 minutes cleaning up.

when i'm squirting car shampoo out of the 16 or 36 oz. bottle i just squeeze it for a few seconds onto the wash pad until i feel i've got enough on there. i measure it by eye, but i believe about 1 oz per second squirts out.

Paint 2 bucket wash/rims-in & out/ wheel wells/ tires/ blow dry with MB/ wipe with DS and dressing with SVRT.

Highlander - 1 1/2 hrs - once a week.

Camry- 45 minutes - once a week.

5.0 GT- 1 1/2 hrs- once a week.

I can't stand riding in a filthy car. Note: if you don't clean your wheel wells it's like taking a bath and putting your dirty shorts back on.

Saturday morning it starts at 5:00 AM ( I had extra flood lights installed & a garage to work in) ;I'm picked up / cleaned up by 10:00AM.

How much product ??? your guess is as good as mind.

My car: average once a week, takes about 2 hours including a trip to the coin power wash;

Wife's car: once every 3-4 weeks, takes about 1.5 hours including power wash;

Daughter's car: whenever she comes home for the weekend, typically once every 4-6 weeks; she doesn't do ANY cleaning on it herself! About an hour for the outside, and another hour for the inside!

Not her car, but think this:

Black%20and%20white%20messy%20car.jpg

The one thing she didn't inherit from her dad... :(:willy:

Would you guys say it's ok to waterless wash wipe down the car the next day after a rain storm? It poured yesterday and today in the morning my car didn't look that filthy, it had some streaks and all from the rain but it wasn't horrible.

EDIT: Reading some searched threads it doesn't seem like a good idea.

I think this could essentially save me some shampoo and time overall if i do it or every or every other day.

Would you guys say it's ok to waterless wash wipe down the car the next day after a rain storm? It poured yesterday and today in the morning my car didn't look that filthy, it had some streaks and all from the rain but it wasn't horrible.

EDIT: Reading some searched threads it doesn't seem like a good idea.

I think this could essentially save me some shampoo and time overall if i do it or every or every other day.

I'll use WW after a rain storm only if I didn't drive in the rain. I don't trust what comes up from the wet roads onto my paint.

I'll do a WW almost every 1-2 days after a 2 bucket wash if we don't get any summer thunderstorms coming thru all the time.

I'll use WW after a rain storm only if I didn't drive in the rain. I don't trust what comes up from the wet roads onto my paint.

I'll do a WW almost every 1-2 days after a 2 bucket wash if we don't get any summer thunderstorms coming thru all the time.

Seeing as you have a black vehicle, I think it's a good thing to go by. I did drive through the rain so you are right in terms of crap being kicked up.

Thanks for all the advice! :banana: