Customer Service 866.965.0400

A friend needs your prayers!

gencoupe3dot8

Gang, for those of you that pray, a friend of mine is gravely ill and can use all prayers/positive energy:

Yesterday Darin had a CAT Scan with dye to determine the condition of his organs. The doctors discovered that his pancreas is

completely gone. It has necrotized and disintegrated within his body. As a result there are currently 3 to 4 areas in the

abdominal cavity that are severely inflamed. If these areas were to become infected the results would be devastating. Please

pray with us that infection does not set in. The dye from the CAT Scan has not flushed out of the kidneys as they had hoped

it would. In 48 hours they will be able to determine what kind of damage it caused. Please pray that the kidneys are not negatively

impacted by the procedure. In addition, Darin's left lung has collapsed and we need to pray that they will be able to inflate it.

The doctors have said that it is a miracle that Darin is still alive. I assume he will need a pancreas transplant in order

to survive... my heart breaks for this man and his family! Additional prayers for a financial miracle are needed as his hospital

stay has already runf up a bill of $90,000 he is responsible for....

Finally, please say an extra prayer for Angie and each of their 5 children. They are beginning to break down and they need our prayers

like never before.

He needs all the help he can get! Thanks in advance!

-Mike

Edited by gencoupe3dot8

Update:

Darin's left lung, which had collapsed, does appear to be inflating. The kidney's have held their own since the CAT scan dye was used and the doctors do not anticipate the need for dialysis. The pancreas doctor was in today and he explained that Darin is now a type one diabetic. He will require insulin for the rest of his life. He confirmed that the pancreas was nowhere to be found on the CAT scan but he is hoping that there may be a very small portion left that was not able to be seen on the scan. If there is even 10% of a pancreas, it could eliminate the need for digestive enzymes to be taken.

We want to thank you all once again for your love and support. We appreciate and value your continued prayers.

I continue:

Not clear to me but it may be possible for him to get a PTA (pancreas only) or KPT (kidney/pancreas transplant) but I haven't heard whether this is something being brought up by doctors. To add insult to injury Darin doesn't have insurance, and has already wracked up almost 100k in medical bills (that is after a substantial discount). Health care in the US is in need of MAJOR reform... and has a very real impact on the LIVES of its citizens...

Continued prayers, especially regarding his pancreas are appreciated in advance...

I'm glad to see your friend's condition is improving.

My wife was born a diabetic and had a KPT in 2004 after slipping into a coma due to renal failure. She spent quite a bit of time on dialysis as well. Since her transplants, she has lived a pretty normal life and thankfully not had any issues directly related to the transplants. While she will always be considered diabetic, she no longer needs to monitor her glucose levels, but she will be on an anti-rejection drug regimen for life.

I wish your friend the best in his fight and if the doctors should look at a KPT for him and there is anything I can ask my wife for you to relay to your friend, I will be happy to help as best I can.

Update:

Darin is looking stronger and stronger everyday. Today he was able to stand and pivot to a chair. Mind you he had two people holding him up. It's definitely a step in the right direction. The Dr. are thinking we might get to leave the ICU this week to a floor where he can still be monitored closely. Love!

He still has a fairly long road ahead of him. No news on pancreas yet...

Update:

Another exciting bit of news to report on Darin: Today, for the first time in 2 months, Darin was put in a wheelchair and taken outside! He was able to sit in the sun, breathe the fresh air, and enjoy being out of his hospital room for a change. Something most of us take for granted, was a beautiful gift that won't be forgotten.

But in other news:

Darin hasn't been able to eat or drink for most of his time in the hospital and, needless to say, he's miserable. According to Angie, he’s supposed to have a swallow study tomorrow. She also says that “The swallow study nurse has only come once in 3 weeks. The last time he was a little bit stronger but not strong enough to drink. They are afraid he will swallow wrong and it will go into his lungs. That would be really bad!” Please pray that he passes.

So...

Your continued thoughts and prayers are appreciated....

Update on Darin:

From his sister: “I am thrilled to announce that Darin has been moved out of the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) into the Progressive Care Unit (PCU). He is still in critical condition but moving in the right direction!”

I continue:

I am thankful that Darin is making forward progress, even as I know he has a long road before him and possibly a lifelong health issue he will need to deal with. I can't pretend to understand what Darin and his family are going through, but am thankful that he appears to be on the mend....

Edited by gencoupe3dot8