Customer Service 866.965.0400

revamping the 1966 chevelle

2008fx4

update - turns out the frame is toast - pretty weak. 3 body bolts were missing, and the body - which supposedly was reworked two summers ago, is full of rust. suck. so, now we are starting from scratch.

Gee whiz, man! Why don't you seem to have any good updates on this beast? :confused: So what's the plan; can the chassis be saved?

P.S. Don't think we don't notice that red 67 pickup in the background.:glasses:

Gee whiz, man! Why don't you seem to have any good updates on this beast? :confused: So what's the plan; can the chassis be saved?

P.S. Don't think we don't notice that red 67 pickup in the background.:glasses:

dont know if the chassis can be saved - looking into options. Roadster Shop, Art Morrison...... rebuilding the stock one.......any direction leads to $$$$$.

good news comes in the solace that i can sell a lot of the components that were in the car - bbc, trans, efi, rear axle, wheels/tires, interior....

and yeah - the c10 is sick.

Img0222.jpg

http://feslerbuilt.com/1967_Chevy_Truck.html

its for sale too i believe.

Work computer is being a PITA and not letting me see the photos, but I feel for you man. My Dad simply got rid of a 67 SS 396 convertable once due to a tweaked frame. It's good you are going to get this sorted out now, because chances are it would just lead to more problems in the future if you don't. Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

went to see the chevelle today - made some changes as far as the build is going to go.

gonna keep the stock frame - but going to rebuild the back section and brace everything else along the way. the body needs all new front fenders and rear quarters. firewall needs some major work as does the area around the windhsield, mini-tubs, shaved drip rails, and rear buttresses.

getting rid of the air ride - using a coilover setup instead. fewer moving parts to break. no air lines to deal with - no compressor, etc. plus i'll be able to build the car around the ride height i want.

also going to scrap the auto transmission - go to a 6 speed manual instead. will make the car more fun to drive, plus i miss having a car to row through the gears in. also cheaper than the auto, and no need for computer programming.

still have to pic a wheel design and figure out what gear ratio i want to use. then need to decide on the little things - what head unit i want to use, sub orientation in the trunk, exact colors for trim, and some other little things.

I know you've got a lot invested in the car already, but at what point is it too much work? Or is there such a point? I know everything can be fixed with replacement sheetmetal, frame bracing, etc, but it seems like the only original part you're gonna be left with is the VIN plate!

• 3 weeks later...