Customer Service 866.965.0400

?'s on IPA wipe down before machine polish.

Kenneth

Question

I want to begin a full correction but I have a question. I don't have a garage so I will be doing the machine polish outside. I want to know can I do a regular wash with car shampoo and then do an IPA wipe down one panel at a time? Like IPA wipe down the hood, machine polish, and seal. That would leave all other panels still protected. I'm worried about doing a full strip wash and not finishing the correction.

I want to begin a full correction but I have a question. I don't have a garage so I will be doing the machine polish outside. I want to know can I do a regular wash with car shampoo and then do an IPA wipe down one panel at a time? Like IPA wipe down the hood, machine polish, and seal. That would leave all other panels still protected. I'm worried about doing a full strip wash and not finishing the correction.

You can work a panel at a time no problem:rockon:

But not IPA---->Polish

Monday: Hood

WW or DS--->Polish--->IPA--->LSP

Tuesday: F/R Quarter

WW or DS--->Polish--->IPA--->LSP

And so on. Just ensure no contaminants on your polishing pad.

...and don't forget the clay!

You can use IPA to ensure the previous LSP has been removed before the polishing step, and also use it after the polishing step to be sure all the polishing oils have been removed prior to applying MSS.

As Dave said, use WCW or DS to clean each panel first, then IPA and you are ready to polish.

You can use IPA to ensure the previous LSP has been removed before the polishing step, and also use it after the polishing step to be sure all the polishing oils have been removed prior to applying MSS.

As Dave said, use WCW or DS to clean each panel first, then IPA and you are ready to polish.

Good catch Michael, hopefully I didn't confuse him:banana:

I was under the assumption he would would clay first....

Lets just say I was going to do my hood today. My steps would be full wash, dry, wipe hood down with IPA, clay, polish, IPA wipe down, and then machine super sealant. That would get the hood polished and sealed. Then I could do the same to as many panels that I had time for but if I didn't have time I could come back to them. Then when I moved onto different panels just use WCW or DS to get the light dust off before starting.

Lets just say I was going to do my hood today. My steps would be full wash, dry, wipe hood down with IPA, clay, polish, IPA wipe down, and then machine super sealant. That would get the hood polished and sealed. Then I could do the same to as many panels that I had time for but if I didn't have time I could come back to them. Then when I moved onto different panels just use WCW or DS to get the light dust off before starting.

" By Jove! I think he's got it!" :D

Maybe it's just me, and maybe it's because I think the IPA/Strip Wash thing is overblown a little bit...

That's too much IPA.

One wipe down per panel, either before or after clay, should be enough to strip whatever's on there.

Maybe it's just me, and maybe it's because I think the IPA/Strip Wash thing is overblown a little bit...

That's too much IPA.

One wipe down per panel, either before or after clay, should be enough to strip whatever's on there.

Yeah, I had too much IPA on Saturday night at a party. Oops, wrong IPA.

Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA - Great Lakes Brewing Company - Cleveland, OH - BeerAdvocate

Why would you do IPA wipedown before polishing? By polishing you'll remove any LSP. I always do IPA wipedown before my LSP.

Would you rather clog a towel or pad up with old Sealant/Wax residue? A Clean pad will be far more effective.

Mook

My question is...the bottle shows the ipa is diluted 70/30. Does that mean you guys are doing the wipe with the ipa straight from the bottle, or diluting the contents of the bottle 70/30?

right from the bottle. (well, I put it in a sprayer first, but then right from the bottle)

I prefer to dilute it some - 50/50 with water for a 90% bottle of IPA.

i rode the short bus so forgive me, but, if you 2 bucket wash, ipa, clay, polish, seal, glaze, why would you ipa again before lsp(wax)? wouldnt that just undo what was done to that point? wouldnt the wax go on over the polish/sealant/glaze?

i rode the short bus so forgive me, but, if you 2 bucket wash, ipa, clay, polish, seal, glaze, why would you ipa again before lsp(wax)? wouldnt that just undo what was done to that point? wouldnt the wax go on over the polish/sealant/glaze?

1) I know there are varying opinions in this thread, but really it is not necessary to IPA wipedown before claying.

2) IPA would not be after sealing and glazing, but rather after polishing to remove the polishing oils that are on the surface and can potentially inhibit the sealant binding to the paint :)

You want sealant to bind to bare, clean paint as much as possible.

P.S. In this thread, someone stated they used IPA at a 70% dilution straight out of the bottle. That method certainly works. Even though IPA is not expensive, and diluting it down further may not be convenient, 20% IPA will get the job done. Doing this dilution might just save you an extra trip to the store. It's not like the more IPA %, the better the wipedown will be.

Polish should all be removed by the ipa. Polish isn't meant for shine technically, it's a step of abrasives used to remove imperfections. The imperfections in the surface are what prevent shine. The glaze and wax will be what shines and protects. I think I said that right.

I have never had much of an issue with streaking when wiping down with IPA post-polish. I am using an Adam's Great White Drying towel so maybe that is why. If you have the time to, there is nothing wrong with doing a two bucket wash prior to sealing as well. A lot of people might shy away because of some residual water coming out of the nooks and crannies while sealing, but if you have a Master Blaster (or leaf blower) you can mitigate this.