Customer Service 866.965.0400

what to use on detailing an airplane?

tony97gt

Question

My father-in-law has a Piper Archer airplane, and like most of us here would do, I was eyeballing the paint when I went for a flight last weekend. The plane sits out in the weather 24/7 at the local airport. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a clearcoat, and the paint is pretty oxidized/faded. Is there anything I can do to spruce it up, or is it toast because it doesn't have a clearcoat?:glasses:

Edited by tony97gt

20 answers to this question

I would think the usual swirl removal steps would be in order, then maybe 2 layers of spray sealant. Of course, work a small test area first to see how the finish responds to the swirl removal.

My 1985 MR2 doesn't have a clear coat and the shr/Fmp/spray sealant provides a great shine.

Tried it on the bottom of one of our lears and it does work but it is alot harder paint, well not harder but harder to work with. I got better results with all purpose cleaner and quick sealant. Its because the type of paint used on aircaft, it has alot of flexability built into it for tempature change.

See if it is factory paint, or if it has been repainted. Find out what type of paint was used and see what the manufacturer recommends.

The tops and sides wont be bad, but the bottom of the wings will take a LOT of upper body strength!!

Nice bird, BTW!

Well this is my first post - but I noticed that many people from this forum checked out my website (thank you for that). Figured I would throw my 2 cents in.....

First off aircraft paint is very hard. Similar to school bus paint if you have ever worked on that. You can get very aggressive with it, more so than vehicles with clears. I would suggest working only with aircraft approved products such as Nuvite or Granitize Aviation - BUT, any mainline product would work. I like to top off all my work with Collinite products because of its durability - but then again I am new to Adams and may try a few of their products :2thumbs:. I would work small 2 ft by 2 ft areas and start with the least aggressive method first for sure. If you have any questions feel free to contact me anytime! There are many precautions to take in aviation detailing that everyone should know and understand - so before tackling this job - definitely hit me up.

Glad to be here and good luck with your next detail! :)

Well this is my first post - but I noticed that many people from this forum checked out my website (thank you for that). Figured I would throw my 2 cents in.....

First off aircraft paint is very hard. Similar to school bus paint if you have ever worked on that. You can get very aggressive with it, more so than vehicles with clears. I would suggest working only with aircraft approved products such as Nuvite or Granitize Aviation - BUT, any mainline product would work. I like to top off all my work with Collinite products because of its durability - but then again I am new to Adams and may try a few of their products :2thumbs:. I would work small 2 ft by 2 ft areas and start with the least aggressive method first for sure. If you have any questions feel free to contact me anytime! There are many precautions to take in aviation detailing that everyone should know and understand - so before tackling this job - definitely hit me up.

Glad to be here and good luck with your next detail! :)

Thanks a lot for the good info.

I dont Work on small aircraft, i Work on the larger airliners as a technician, so let me just give a few Things to consider (i dont have any detailing experience on them)

1. make sure to cover and static and pitot tubes, inlets for the engine during the wash and detailing

2. if you wash the flight controls and gears to much you will need to get them lubricated again.

If the paint is similar to what im working with, its very hard and most likely epoxy based depending on the age of the aircraft