Customer Service 866.965.0400

what am I doing wrong with quick sealant?

hemi1300

Question

have tried it numerous times with the same results. Every time I apply quick sealant it is very difficult to remove and streaks like a motha. No matter how quickly I remove it, or wait a few minutes before removal, same results every time. My process-prime the applicator for a few seconds with qs, spread over a small area on one panel, but no matter when I wipe it off it is always a pain and I have to go over the area with ds to get rid of the streaking. Any tips for removal of this stuff?

23 answers to this question

QS goes on bare paint.

Make sure it's stripped and ready to go. If its still a problem to remove on paint, you are more than likely using too much.

Mook

Agreed. You can also try removing with some DS. The sealant will bond with bare paint and using some DS to help remove it won't negatively affect the sealant in the removal process.

via Tapatalk on my Galaxy Slll

Tried a new process that seems to work better. Prime the applicator and spread over one panel. Let dry a minute or so, then a quick wipe with ss towel. Streaks remaining, follow up with another quick wipe using detail spray, maybe this will be my solution, seems to work much better

Maybe that's my problem, every time I have tried it, always just apply right over the paint-being freshly waxed by Americana or buttery

This right here is your issue.

Performance wise QS is always going to do better being applied to bare paint, but you also shouldn't layer over a fresh coat of wax with any product. Waxes do need setup time also... by applying sealant over the fresh wash I'd suspect that its actually THE WAX thats causing the streaking issues as its affected by the sealant, not the sealant itself.

Well. The pros have already chimed in buddy. But SEALANTS are made to apply to bare paint, they will only last as long as what's underneath them. So in other words....if you apply a SEALANT over Buttery Wax, it's only going to last as long as the Buttery wax, because that's what it's adhering to (which is your problem and why you're having those removal issues.)

The ABSOLUTE BEST way to apply any kind of SEALANT, is to apply to a bare, oil-free surface. A vehicle wipedown with Isopropyl Alcohol (approx. 70/30 mix) will strip the paint of any oils and prep the paint for sealant. Not only will this give you the BEST protection available from the sealant, but it will eliminate the issues you're having with streaking and removal.

Once the sealant has cured, then top off with APW, or BG & APW if you wish. Make sense??

This right here is your issue.

Performance wise QS is always going to do better being applied to bare paint, but you also shouldn't layer over a fresh coat of wax with any product. Waxes do need setup time also... by applying sealant over the fresh wash I'd suspect that its actually THE WAX thats causing the streaking issues as its affected by the sealant, not the sealant itself.

One more important tidbit of info on the Quick Sealant, Always use in a very well ventilated area!! It's some strong stuff!!

A couple good points to file in the memory :thumbsup::thumbsup: