Customer Service 866.965.0400

New 2-Step Paint Correction System Discussion

Team Adam's

Question

This week we released for presale our new Paint Correcting Polish, Paint Finishing Polish, and Microfiber pad system. The videos below are part of a larger series that will be released later this month with even more new products and tools.

Some basic FAQ questions that have come up so far:

Does this replace the old SSR, SHR, and FMP system?

Yes. The new 2 step system is more effective and faster.

Are you discontinuing foam pads?

No. Adam's foam pads will still be sold. The only pad being discontinued is the green pad since Severe Swirl Remover is no longer needed/offered.

Will the new polishes work with my current foam pads?

Yes. The foam pads are not changing. The same orange and white foam pads you currently use can be used with the new system.

Which is better, microfiber or foam?

There is no one size fits all answer. Different conditions call for different pads, we suggest watching the videos below and perhaps trying both systems to see what works better for you. Each system has pros and cons.

Can you use the old polish system with the new microfiber pads?

Yes. While the results may not be consistent or as effective as the new polishes, the current polishes can be used with the new system.

Will there be a 4" version of the microfiber pads?

Yes. Look for the 4" microfiber system to be released near the end of June - beginning of July.

How do I clean my Microfiber pads?

Adam's Microfiber Cutting and Microfiber Finishing pads are machine washable! Start by using the pad brush to break up any caked on polish from the fibers. If very dense polish contamination is on the pads surface spray a few squirts of Adam's Microfiber Revitalizer & Brightener into the face of the pad and agitate lightly. Wash on a warm (not hot) setting separate from all other materials (including your microfiber towels).

Air dry the pads somewhere clean and with plenty of airflow. If faster drying is needed the pads can be machine dried, be sure to use no fabric softener and the lowest heat setting possible.

EDIT 7/1 - Replaced the individual videos with a single playlist link below.

Edited by Dylan@Adams

Erik is right. Darker colors especially (or those with soft clear) may see some haziness when finishing with MF. It should clean up using a foam pad.

Yep I agree - when I work on other panels I'll try the finishing polish with the white foam pad and see how it finishes out, and if its still got a haze I'll continue to finish out with the Menzerna and an LC finishing pad. 

Interesting!   I just tried out the new system with my Flex and microfiber pads, and was very impressed.  I was using the stuff on a black car, and I too was very happy to see all of the microscratches and scuffs polish away magically with the orange paint correcting compund.  So much so that I wasn't even sure I needed to use the white finishing compound but ran it over the surface anyhow... I too noticed that some hazing occurred with the microfiber pads, but a quick spritz of detail spray cleaned the residue right off.   For giggles i hand applied a coat of brillant glaze and a coat of americana on top, and the paint looks as good as new.   I have some foam pads ordered, and in the future I may try a finish pass with those when using the finishing compound, as I think it would eliminate the hazing that folks are talking about.

So have the full suite of the old polishing system that I have yet to use.  Is it best to keep those products separate from the 2 step polish system or can some of the products be used with the 2 step?  Not sure why I would want to do a 3 step process over a  2 step process.

The foam pads have not changed. 

The orange pad before the update is the same as the orange pad after the update. 

The white pad before the update is the same as the white pad after the update.

The polishes have changed. 

Paint Correcting Polish cuts as well, if not better than Severe Swirl but finishes like Swirl & Haze Remover. 

Paint Finishing Polish is about the same abrasive level as FMP, but has a much longer open time.

You will not see the same results using SHR/FMP as you will with PCP/PFP.

You can use the old SHR/FMP combo with the MF pads

Color coordination still applies (shr with orange, fmp with white) 

Set expectations reasonably. The original polishes are weaker than the new stuff so you won't see the same results

SSR can be used with the orange MF pad if you like for more cut, but there is no dedicated SSR pad anymore.

This combo should be folllowed with Paint Correcting Polish and Paint Finishing Polish to complete the job.

Thanks Dylan.  I guess what I was wondering was if I used the new polish products would make sense at all to lets say also use the Revive product?   I am trying to figure out if I completely adopt the 2 step method will I ever need to use the old polish products.  Would I want to/would there ever be a need to.

Not really. 

Revive isn't going to do much that the PFP isn't already going to do for you, but Revive is something we dedicate for hand use anyways so its really not relevant in the discussion of the machine products. 

Once you transition to the 2-step there wouldn't be much need for the 3-step anymore, unless you just preferred working with those products. 

Check out this save.

Cookout yesterday at a friend's condo complex, took the vette. Neighbor kids (not invited) are playing near the car so my blood is already boiling. I went over and asked the parents to reel them in a bit, but of course that didn't work. Then the inevitable happened. One of the kids fell onto the bumper. Did he use his hands to break his fall? Nope. His water gun.

beforepcp.jpg

My mind is bouncing back and forth between losing original paint and how I can get away with murder with so many witnesses. I showed the father what happened and his response was a combination of "it's only a car" and "you shouldn't have been parked there" - let's ignore the first part because I don't have that kind of time right now, but I was in a parking space. They are called parking spaces for a reason.

Luckily the place where we were is also the home of an Adam's user, so I grabbed his cordless drill, a 4" Gen 3 (hex pattern) yellow focus pad, and a bottle of Adam's PCP.

afterpcp.jpg

BAM.

Before we all packed up to go to the fireworks display, we dumped all of our cookout trash into their bins as a sign of good faith. It's only garbage. Your kids shouldn't have been playing there.

Nice save Gerry! 

That kills me! "its only a car"

What a disrespectful thing to say... who cares if it was a lawnmower? Its yours and not his... people should be teaching their kids to respect the property of others. I know if it had been my son that did it I would've been bending over backwards to apologize and make it right and then whoopin' his behind for damaging something that didn't belong to him. 

The web site used to have the setting for the Flex for each polish. Now that the 2 step is out I don't see the speed ratings anymore.

I used 3 to spread and finished with 5 on my Flex...seemed to work out ok..

i just starting using the new 2-step last night on our white escalade. came out great! but i still have the other half of the tank to do!!!

this may have already been asked, but does the Paint Finishing Polish leave behind any residual polishing oils? i didn't have any IPA around so i finished with Revive by hand just in case there was before applying some QS.

Edited by 2010TexasEdition

i have noticed some people have pointed out that there is a diffence in pad choice foam or microfiber depending on whether their clear coat is hard or soft.  What is the best way to determine which type finish hard or soft is on a particular vehicle

Edited by niphkin64

Not really, but general observations will tell you what you're dealing with. If the paint damages EXTREMELY easy you have a softer clear coat, but the good news is that it will correct really easily too. 

If the paint seems not to swirl up too easy, but takes brute force to correct then you're dealing with a harder clear. 

Most cars fall somewhere in the middle, theres a few exceptions with really hard or really soft clears, but generally  its going to be in the middle. 

ok thats what i figured. didn't know if there was some resource somewhere that people could look up a certain make and model.... just more of a test and see what you get routine.

Just remember to start with the least aggressive method first. If PFP and a white foam pad get it done, there would've been no reason to start with PCP and a MF pad.

Edited by egott_91

ALL I can say is the new polishes and pads ROCK!  I am glad Adams answered the call for something more aggressive!  Anything that saves me time is something I will invest in.  The MF pads may just be the best on the current market, certainly better than others I have purchased!  Rock on Adams... well done!

this may have already been asked, but does the Paint Finishing Polish leave behind any residual polishing oils? i didn't have any IPA around so i finished with Revive by hand just in case there was before applying some QS.

I used the FP last night for the first time and I found it MUCH less greasy than FMP.  I was going to do an alcohol wipe down but deemed it unnecessary.

I used the FP last night for the first time and I found it MUCH less greasy than FMP.  I was going to do an alcohol wipe down but deemed it unnecessary.

That's VERY good news IMO.  

I noticed from other polishes i've used before its sometimes frustrating to get all the polishing oils off the surface.  And yes, I actually use a dedicated paint prep/polishing oil cleaner. 

I prefer not to go from polishing to sealant or glaze/wax with out an IPA wipe down or coat of Revive. Even with the new PFP as well and I've got about 5-6 uses out of it on various vehicles. I just don't want to take that risk regardless if the vehicle is white, black or any other color.

To me there are too many variables in ones technique/process to justify not doing a simple part to insure the paint is properly prepped for the next step.

Again, just my preference.

Edited by JBlack151